Premium Econ vs Business Class ...

Bo1953

Hello all - we are 'planning' and booked a sailing between BCN and ROM September of  2023.

While PHL is our local major airport, I find that departing out of EWR is currently more economical by a few hundred $.

Looking at United for each non-stop leg of the trip, yet wanted to find out your input for Premium Econ vs Business, any input as to which is preferable, provided fares remain relatively stable over the next 15 months?

Thinking mainly in terms of seat comfort and service. Am I missing a thought which needs to be considered???

Also, are there other airlines which we need to consider, as well?

TIA and bon voyage

17 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

... Premium Econ vs Business, any input as to which is preferable ...

These days, the biggest difference is usually this:

• In premium economy, you sleep sitting up.
  • In business, you sleep lying down.

18 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Also, are there other airlines which we need to consider, as well?

Surely the answer to this is "all of them"?

In any case, there's not a lot of point doing any detailed pricing for flights that are almost 15 months away. It may be 3 or 4 months before you can even book anything; and if you book as soon as bookings open, you may end up paying more than if you wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be careful if you select EWR, I just saw an article that United is cutting a lot of flights from there.  By the time you can book it might all be sorted out. We used to fly through EWR on United all the time but are now considering other options if we book with them.

To answer your question, if we can't get not stop on South West we would book business on United, even to Fll from Pgh. It's just more comfortable.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Thanks 1

Which cruise line are you using?  The Carnival brands have some pretty good deals on business class to Europe.  I flew Amsterdam to Dallas for $600 in May, when I booked the flight was $2400 on the American website.  I was sailing with Holland America but I think all of the CCL brands use the same agency under different names .

anyway to answer your question: daytime flight I use Premium Economy, night time I use Business class unless I get a super deal 

Edited by Mary229

16 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Looking at United for each non-stop leg of the trip, yet wanted to find out your input for Premium Econ vs Business, any input as to which is preferable, provided fares remain relatively stable over the next 15 months?

It depends on how well you can sleep.  As for me, a lie flat seat is wasted because I can't do more than doze anyway.  I actually find the recline more comfortable for my cat naps so I'm perfectly comfortable in Premium Economy assuming some additional seat width, pitch, and foot rests.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Which cruise line are you using?  The Carnival brands have some pretty good deals on business class to Europe.  I flew Amsterdam to Dallas for $600 in May, when I booked the flight was $2400 on the American website.  I was sailing with Holland America but I think all of the CCL brands use the same agency under different names .

anyway to answer your question: daytime flight I use Premium Economy, night time I use Business class unless I get a super deal 

We are cruising on Celebrity.

Thank you, usually here in the U.S. if the flight is under 2.5 hours (published) we go coach, if greater or we sense that it will be greater, then it is 1st class or some section that offers more room and space than coach.

Thank you and bon voyage

10 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

We are cruising on Celebrity.

Thank you, usually here in the U.S. if the flight is under 2.5 hours (published) we go coach, if greater or we sense that it will be greater, then it is 1st class or some section that offers more room and space than coach.

Thank you and bon voyage

I agree, anything under 4 hours is coach, usually Southwest.  I was referring to international 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

UA has cut 50 flights this summer from EWR.  Sept 2023 is so far away, who knows what the service will be then?  There is no comparison between Polaris and Premium Economy!

6r - do you think a passenger can feel 'reasonably' comfortable in PE vs Polaris traveling 8 - 9 hours non-stop?

bon voyage

The points guy and others (search YouTube) do excellent pictorials of the different classes for each airline.  Though business class may be pretty standard,  premium economy is not.  I have flown 9 hours comfortably in Premium economy - daytime and I have been cramped (delta).   Night flying i use business 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I get older  Business class become more desirable

We did the lie flat seats  on A/C  & it was the best sleep ever  it was worth the added expense

We did PE coming home from the UK onetime   the seats were by the engines so even the extra leg room & space was good the noise  factor was terrible

If doing PE check the location

Only you can decide what works best for you

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Hell even when I was 10 years old, business class was more desirable 🙂

It's just that age old question of worth. Especially with airline prices these days. I'm still on the younger side (late 30s), and luckily my employer still sends me business class for international trips, but looking at the prices these days...not sure I could justify long haul business class tickets out of my own pocket. 

Spitting Out Water GIFs | Tenor

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We did the lie flat seats  on A/C  & it was the best sleep ever  it was worth the added expense

We did PE coming home from the UK onetime   the seats were by the engines so even the extra leg room & space was good the noise  factor was terrible

If doing PE check the location

Only you can decide what works best for you

lh thank you - yet I must decide what works best for my spouse... LOL

I take your pointers, which are good ones.

I think I can get away with PE, but wanted to get some good input as we have not traveled in them, ever.

bon voyage

10 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

lh thank you - yet I must decide what works best for my spouse... LOL

I take your pointers, which are good ones.

I think I can get away with PE, but wanted to get some good input as we have not traveled in them, ever.

bon voyage

True premium economy is kind of like old school business class with wider seats,  a separate cabin and better food.  But it depends on the airline if it is a true PE experience.  British airways is quite good.    Just check that you are not just getting a bit more legroom and the same seats.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bennybear said:

True premium economy is kind of like old school business class with wider seats,  a separate cabin and better food.  But it depends on the airline if it is a true PE experience.  British airways is quite good.    Just check that you are not just getting a bit more legroom and the same seats.  

That wasn’t the case with the food or beverage service on our UA flight FCO to EWR a couple months ago. Although the seats were a bit wider than economy, they weren’t really comfortable - poor cushioning. The extra legroom and recline were a plus.
We have had much better service on LH and BA economy and their PE was far superior to UA in every respect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1