optional evening concert in Ephesus in addition to earlier same day tour

C-sea

How far of a drive is Ephesus, from the port Silver Spirit will be docking at? We will be taking a day tour to Ephesus, thinking of getting tickets to the optional evening concert, it would require returning to where we were earlier that day, has anyone done to this, did you enjoy the concert?

1 hour ago, C-sea said:

How far of a drive is Ephesus, from the port Silver Spirit will be docking at? We will be taking a day tour to Ephesus, thinking of getting tickets to the optional evening concert, has anyone done to this, did you enjoy the concert?

YES!!  Did this evening concert at Ephesus in 2006 with Seabourn.  It was super excellent and very enjoyable, especially as the sun set in this historic setting with nice music and a wonderful environment.  

Need proof and evidence?  Below are a few of my visuals.  Go for it if possible.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 20,974 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is a visual sampling from walking into this historic site in the evening and then for being there as the structures are lighted up as the sun sets.  Amazing sites and a highly-enjoyable experience!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.b46833f801c0c94eeb684d2341148e63.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72ffdf9c87f5a7787f94dc3e618411e2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.68e3455932d2e2ca381d75d3fc21d579.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b87de2c7ef58790fb49e80b5f985250c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, C-sea said:

How far of a drive is Ephesus, from the port Silver Spirit will be docking at? We will be taking a day tour to Ephesus, thinking of getting tickets to the optional evening concert, it would require returning to where we were earlier that day, has anyone done to this, did you enjoy the concert?

Ephesus is not close, roughly an hour and a half to two hours away.  While the evening concert is fantastic in three visits to Ephesus we only did the concert once.  It was almost too much to do the day tour,  return to ship, clean up, and get on a bus back to Ephesus.  It can be done and some people do it frequently but once was enough for us….it will kick your backside.

• Thanks 2

If the concert is held in the Library of Celsus, as shown on Terry's photos, it really is something not to miss.  I feel sure that Silversea will make sure that people can do both.

When I did it on Seadream years ago the local staff, dressed in Greek style clothes, served wine and nibbles, and the music (admittedly well known light classical pieces) was played by a string  quartet.  Although some cynical souls might say it is a bit cheesy, for most of us it was one of the few shore excursions we look back on years after with fond memories.

I think some of the larger ships use the amphitheatre, which is not quite as atmospheric but still well worth doing.  If you are touring the site in the day, you will already have visited these two sites.

Lola

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We did the Ancient Ephesus with Lunch excursion when we were in Kusadasi aboard the Silver Moon in early April this year.  The tour was about 6 hours and got us back to the boat in plenty of time to get refreshed to board the bus to take us back for the evening concert.  A few things to consider - there is a bit of a walk to get from where the buses park to the Library of Celsus where the concert is held.  The pathway leading to the Library is constructed of large and small cobblestones which are safe to walk on during the day when you can see where you are walking, but when the concert ends, it will be dark and the path back to the busses is dimly lit in certain areas and not lit at all in other areas.  I gripped my husband's arm the whole way back to assure I didn't fall.  Its an historical site, so we had no expectations of a lighted path, but its just something to keep in mind.  Wear flat comfortable shoes that provide traction. The Library is a sight to behold at night with the classical music, and it was definitely one of the best excursions we took.  The dark conditions may not be an issue if you do this in the summer months when the sun sets later.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We were exhausted after our day tour of Ephesus. It was a long drive and there was a lot of walking downhill on very smooth, slippery marble cobblestone streets. Also, check the weather when you are going. It felt like 100+ degrees for us, and there was no shadel. It was very interesting to see Ephesus, but I did not enjoy either the heat or the scary walking. We did not go back for the evening concert.

I recommend you skip the day tour, go for the evening concert when it will be cooler, take a flashlight and wear your hiking shoes.

• Thanks 3

It will be a very long day to do both, but I would definitely go for it!  [We were rained out the one time the concert was possible for us, but we were looking forward to it.  We have since been back to Ephesus and enjoyed the day tour every more the second time (without the rain!) but the concert wasn't offered on that cruise.]

While the Library is a highlight of Ephesus, it is by no means the entirety of what you see on the day tour.  The real highlight is the Terrace Houses, and the immensity of the site overall.  For the evening concert I assume they will drop you off at the lower entrance so you can walk straight there – that would miss everything uphill from the Library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mrs Banjo and I did this on our first visit to Ephesus in the mid 1990's while on board our first SS cruise.  I don't remember the long ride back to and from the ship, but I do remember being totally exhausted after the full day tour and carpet shopping, thinking that we might just stay aboard and skip the concert.  Thankfully one of the officers told us not to miss the event, so we cleaned up and went on what was called at the time a "Silver Experience", (I think that's what they called it), and was a complimentary excursion that SS has long ago done away with. It was fabulous and I am glad we did not miss it and is one of those hi-lites of a cruise that you never forget!.  

• Thanks 3

D8E0478C-ADF8-4DFB-9A36-98FB32032F23.thumb.jpeg.e6b8d56e64f34d9815dee590b80ad7b1.jpeg73E2A5BC-B16E-4D00-9C9C-D6C823F2FDCD.thumb.jpeg.54ef07581bb60af3d77d92448546aa36.jpegF673F2E6-00EB-4200-93EC-9D7B982EA349.thumb.jpeg.a43d489ea8b3f416c2244be3609b2129.jpeg2A01D97C-3CC3-49DA-A4EC-F099BABE32FE.thumb.jpeg.cb6492cb98b1ed3d134671dbbcacb2b4.jpeg94EA4576-4312-4507-8902-B1F90128D41C.thumb.jpeg.95e0276faf5b1cfccbc911f475cba23c.jpeg

We only attended the concert in the evening. It was a lovely event, the extreme heat of the day had dissipated as had the crowds.  I don't think we could have done the day tour and then returned for the concert. 

Ephesus is magical.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Ephesus is magical.

YES!!  Great summary and visuals from Spins.   "Magical" is the perfect word.  

My recollection is that the time and effort going back to the evening program was not that long or bad.  Might depend on where the ship is docked.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,543 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Thanks 1

A bit more detail - I think the ships are   always docked in the centre of Kusadasi, and am sure it was not too long a bus ride.  It is also not far to walk when you get there, but it is a slightly rough path, and flat shoes or sturdy sandals are best.  Spinnaker's photos are taken at the amphitheatre, which I think is used if there are a larger crowd - the temple area is quite small.  I have done both, and the temple is certainly the more atmospheric and beautiful, but both are lovely.  I seem to remember that the drinks etc. were not so easy to get at the amphitheatre.  It is a marginally longer walk.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lincslady said:

A bit more detail - I think the ships are   always docked in the centre of Kusadasi, and am sure it was not too long a bus ride.  It is also not far to walk when you get there, but it is a slightly rough path, and flat shoes or sturdy sandals are best.  Spinnaker's photos are taken at the amphitheatre, which I think is used if there are a larger crowd - the temple area is quite small.  I have done both, and the temple is certainly the more atmospheric and beautiful, but both are lovely.  I seem to remember that the drinks etc. were not so easy to get at the amphitheatre.  It is a marginally longer walk.

I'm going to be a pedant here.  There isn't an amphitheatre in Ephesus, it's a Graeco-Roman theatre.  An amphitheatre is a Colosseum, ovate sort of thing and there is only one in Turkey and it's an un-excavated mound in Pergamon.

There is only one amphitheatre in Greece - a barely discernible ruin in Corinth.  There are no amphitheatres in Syria, Lebanon, Israel or Jordan.  Or Egypt.  There are several in Libya, Tunisia and Algeria.  They were built exclusively for gladiatorial sport and executions and that was not to the taste of the Eastern Med.  There were a few hippodromes for chariot racing - particularly good ones in Perge and Aphrodisias (Turkey), Jerash in Jordan and Tyre in Lebanon.

BTW, if you are on a cruise which stops at Kusadasi, and you like ancient ruins, you can do a great day trip to Hierapolis and Aphrodisias - so much better than Ephesus which is over-run with tourists.

And that's the end of the history lesson.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I did this on our first visit to Ephesus in the mid 1990's while on board our first SS cruise.  I don't remember the long ride back to and from the ship, but I do remember being totally exhausted after the full day tour and carpet shopping, thinking that we might just stay aboard and skip the concert.  Thankfully one of the officers told us not to miss the event, so we cleaned up and went on what was called at the time a "Silver Experience", (I think that's what they called it), and was a complimentary excursion that SS has long ago done away with. It was fabulous and I am glad we did not miss it and is one of those hi-lites of a cruise that you never forget!.  

Here are two pictures I dug out of a very young Mr and Mrs Banjo at Ephesus from 1996. This cruise we sailed on the Silver Wind .  Istanbul to Venice 14 days.  Great memories!

Scan 2.jpeg

Scan 1.jpeg

• Like 6

@crusinban besides looking young, you both look very hot (in temperature, that is).

To be clear for the original poster, our tours took us first to the House of the Virgin Mary (which I would have preferred to skip), then Ephesus, then lunch, then to a carpet shop (which I also would have preferred to skip). We tolerated the carpet shop only because it was air conditioned, and we were hot. So, it was a very long tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been to Ephesus twice (well, three times if you count the day trip and the evening concert on the same day). As I recall, the drive from Kusadasi isn't all that long, about 30 minutes. The evening concert at Ephesus is one of the best cruise excursions I've ever done. All I can say is, DO IT! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alithecat said:

@crusinban besides looking young, you both look very hot (in temperature, that is).

To be clear for the original poster, our tours took us first to the House of the Virgin Mary (which I would have preferred to skip), then Ephesus, then lunch, then to a carpet shop (which I also would have preferred to skip). We tolerated the carpet shop only because it was air conditioned, and we were hot. So, it was a very long tour.

I have been researching a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, and have discovered that there are four sites near Jerusalem that have credible claims to be the place where Mary ended her earthly life.  Since I had also heard about this place near Ephesus, I looked it up too – and even the Turkish tourist site admits that there is little reason to believe Mary ever went to Turkey.

As to carpet shops, we have an endless chain of 'going out of business' oriental carpet shops here at home so I can get all sorts of [no warranty] 'bargains' without going to Turkey!!!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, alithecat said:

Yes, very hot.  On every occasion that we have visited, it has been VERY HOT!

14 hours ago, alithecat said:

Our Silversea tour of Ephesus with lunch in April included the House of the Virgin Mary but did not take us to a carpet shop.  We toured the Archeological Museum.  April's temperatures were moderate to cool, but with no shade, the sun would have baked me to a crisp without a hat.  I'm sure during the summer, it's brutally hot.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Our Silversea tour of Ephesus with lunch in April included the House of the Virgin Mary but did not take us to a carpet shop.  We toured the Archeological Museum.  April's temperatures were moderate to cool, but with no shade, the sun would have baked me to a crisp without a hat.  I'm sure during the summer, it's brutally hot.  

Good to see these added visuals and shared experiences.  Our day tour did include the House of the Virgin Mary, a carpet shop and the Archeological Museum.  Enjoyed it all.  Worked well.  

Yes, carpet shops can be a little too much, but they have a wide selection of options and you can learn some interesting background about this Middle East speciality.  In Istanbul, we did get a couple of rugs and have them shipped home.  If considering such a carpet purchase from Turkey, plan in advance!!  Prepare by figuring out potential size needs, color-match factors, etc.  Don't just go to a carpet shop "cold" without any advance prep.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,401 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is a wider sampling of Ephesus day options.  As shown below, the sun can be hot and our guide was wise to have some shade as we toured. Second was a gift show where the sign in back of my wife was very honest.  Third was inside the Archeological Museum. Fourth was at the House of the Virgin Mary.  Very moving experience there for us.  Finally, the carpet shop.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.3910921c5b6f76ee36dc210c92eb3840.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.07fb1829e32a713c437306d5a33e1d20.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.540848d03b7bca6e6b24ff0af4462fba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9ccf8c77d2781085b4a445b06b75cb92.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6a708b459982257b48f914add393bd5b.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s great advice Terry, knowing the size and colors that will work with your decor is very important if you intend to buy a rug.  Mrs Banjo and I bought 2 rugs in Istanbul in 1996 that are still as beautiful today as they were then.  The quality is really exceptional.   Also, coincidentally, they keep your name and contact info.  We were contacted a number of times over the year, just in case we wanted to buy another carpet.  In any case, we have not purchased any more carpets on any of our return trips, but I love to look at them.  Here we are in 2019, at Ephesus, caught Mrs Banjo a little confused I think.  We also went to the house of Mary and then the carpet store, but the evening concert was not offered on this trip, otherwise we would have done it again…….   And yes it was hot!

4D8B9525-4B2A-45E4-AD95-BB058B5DE277.jpeg

Edited by crusinbanjo
  • Like 1