Seabourn recognises Crystal Society status for Seabourn Club

Stickman1990

I have just three cruises on Seabourn with three more booked. I wonder whether they will merge my account and increase my level. 
I have no problem if they don’t do so. 
If Crystal comes back I will definitely try them out. Seabourn has some  very nice features … we loved TK Grill for example and the stellar service and warmth of most staff.

We cruised on Seabourn after three years yet we were remembered by staff. Even staff you do not interact with swot your name before you embark and this is very noticeable and appreciated. Not needed but nevertheless nice. That is what I loved about Crystal and the fact that my Evian was always waiting for me. Hope Seabourn notes my preferences as that makes a ship feel like home. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nancygp said:

im glad with the status seabourn offered me as I have way more than 17 crystal cruises.  While I loved crystal and sailed the line exclusively for 17 years,  I have a very wait and see attitude about the “new” crystal cruises.  Many of my crystal friends feel the same way and aren’t jumping on the first new sailing.

nancy

I hope that you enjoy Seabourn.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, seaknots said:

slap in face for loyal sb customer

done to boost bookings to help sale of sb

Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion.

As I mentioned a few posts above, hotels and airlines occasionally offer temporary status matching - whether based on a challenge or not – but customers need to requalify in order to keep their matched status beyond the first year or two.  This makes sense, as it gives the customers a chance to test drive the new company without flooding their pool of elites with toe dippers who reap the rewards without paying their dues.

Cruise line elite programs offer perpetual elite status - i.e. no need to requalify every year - and therefore cruise lines have historically never offered status matches to their competitors.

A while back, Seabourn offered Crystal customers a special discount for them to try Seabourn out, which made sense.  To now offer this status match - especially in light of the fact that the Crystal brand will be resurrected in the near future - begs the question of what Seabourn is really trying to accomplish and underscores their business focus at the moment.

On the surface, it seems that perhaps nothing is taken away from existing Seabourn elites.  However, there will be plenty of operational impact;  two main ones come immediately to mind:  laundry will take longer to return, and the poor laundry team will be overworked and overwhelmed (free & unlimited Diamond benefit), and wifi signal will degrade and become less reliable (with free upgraded streaming and multi-device Diamond benefit).

Seabourn will lose some revenue from popular on board spends due to the elite discounts, especially in regards to shore excursion (high profit-margin) and revenue wines.

Moreover, it is about the intangibles.  Many of us have spent years being loyal to and building up our club status.  While commercial recognition such as club/elite status is nothing glorious or commendable – we are not making the world a better place; we are just privileged enough to possess the time and money to spend with Seabourn – it nonetheless represents a rite of passage and a commitment.

And Seabourn actively encourages this, with various awards (most sailed days and milestone awards) and the list of Diamond members projected on the screens at Club Night presentations.

Cruise lines’ elite programs are designed for organic loyalty building over time.  Seabourn has just turned this model upside down with this reckless move, without regard to its contingent of loyal guests who have developed their love for the brand and especially their crew members over many years.  Some will not care, while many will feel disrespected.  It is a rude awakening.  Our long-term loyalty means nothing – everything is for sale… which brings me back to the only logical conclusion:

Carnival is doing everything to shore up Seabourn’s financials to get a better sale price to its suitors.  Who knows what the blowback may be, from the tangibles of lost revenue and increased costs, and from the intangibles of its disappointed and disillusioned loyal customer base.

But then this won’t be a problem for CCL to solve; the Saudis will be the ones to have to deal with the aftermath.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, nancygp said:

im glad with the status seabourn offered me as I have way more than 17 crystal cruises.  While I loved crystal and sailed the line exclusively for 17 years,  I have a very wait and see attitude about the “new” crystal cruises.  Many of my crystal friends feel the same way and aren’t jumping on the first new sailing.

gee, I’m looking for a new lux sailing home and very exciting to try seabourn as I wanted to do so for the last few years.  I do hope my fellow passengers will be warm and welcoming.

nancy

Nancy from your comments over the years you do seem like a very nice person and I am sure that you will be warmly welcomed on your sailings. I truly hope you enjoy your cruises though they won't be the same as Crystal due to the size of the ships and what can be offered.

As Keith1010 mentioned in a recent comment, I wonder how some loyal Crystal sailors would feel if this happened with Crystal? It sounds like quite a few on that board are just waiting for Crystal to restart and other cruises are just placeholders.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Nancy from your comments over the years you do seem like a very nice person and I am sure that you will be warmly welcomed on your sailings. I truly hope you enjoy your cruises though they won't be the same as Crystal due to the size of the ships and what can be offered.

As Keith1010 mentioned in a recent comment, I wonder how some loyal Crystal sailors would feel if this happened with Crystal? It sounds like quite a few on that board are just waiting for Crystal to restart and other cruises are just placeholders.

Thank you for your kind words.  I’m sure we will enjoy our upcoming seabourn cruises and will find the experience warn and welcoming.  I know it won’t be the same as crystal and I will try not to compare.  However, I look forward to a new experience.

while there are quite a few posters on the crystal board who can’t wait to be on the first new crystal sailings, keith included, we all know that cc makes up a very small number of the paxs.  There are a few who can’t wait to be the first to sail crystal on the Facebook page yet there are many people who are cautiously optimistic and even some who vow not to return due to lost monies and how things went down.

my seabourn cruises and a silversea cruise are cruises I really look forward to experiencing.  If crystal returns to something similar to what was, I’m sure we will sail them again but that won’t be for quite sometime.

Nancy

• Like 7

On the subject of Milestone Awards I assume they will remain based on actual days sailed? I expect this particular benefit to disappear with the sale of Seabourn, but in the meantime I can't imagine this will be just handed over to new guests. Surely not? 

3 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

On the subject of Milestone Awards I assume they will remain based on actual days sailed? I expect this particular benefit to disappear with the sale of Seabourn, but in the meantime I can't imagine this will be just handed over to new guests. Surely not? 

Never imagined that the milestone awards would be for those that didn’t sail the actual days

Nancy

7 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Surely Seabourn cannot be that reckless...

I do wonder how this status match is implemented.  I suppose they will give Crystal people, for instance, 250 club points as their starting balance for a Diamond match.  Is that what is happening?

I would think everything else (# sailed days, redeemable sailed days) starts at zero? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I understand what they are trying to do but its a real insult to the loyal customers who were instrumental in building the brand.  Agree with Isklaar that some sort of reduced benefit would have made more sense.  Tough times.

I understand the need to bring in more business but surely there was a better way than this.  

I will just leave this here:

WELCOME TO SEABOURN CLUB

Now that you have sailed with Seabourn, you understand the unique sense of belonging that occurs as you get to know the interesting, convivial people who share your voyage. That same sense of belonging to a cordial group of travelers is enjoyed by those and only those — who have sailed with us, as members of our exclusive Seabourn Club.

Seabourn Club Benefits have always been among the most valuable in the cruise industry, especially the Milestone Award of a complimentary cruise after sailing 140 days. We have added benefits that start rewarding you after your first cruise, and increase in value as you sail more. Because personalization is a hallmark of Seabourn's service, you are free to choose the rewards you prefer from a generous menu of onboard amenities.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/seabourn-club.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

Surely Seabourn cannot be that reckless...

I do wonder how this status match is implemented.  I suppose they will give Crystal people, for instance, 250 club points as their starting balance for a Diamond match.  Is that what is happening?

I would think everything else (# sailed days, redeemable sailed days) starts at zero? 

All correct

Nancy

12 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Never imagined that the milestone awards would be for those that didn’t sail the actual days

Nancy

Who knows Nancy?

We have an outstanding award that we can't take for the foreseeable future as we're dealing with a serious health issue. I don't expect we will ever get to use it, as I said I think it's a benefit that will disappear  quite soon.

I'm sure they wouldn't just give those away, but I really don't know.

Desperate times lead to desperate measures!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nancygp said:

All correct

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy.

I'd also like to add that you seem like someone I would enjoy sailing with.  Hope to have the pleasure of meeting you some day on Seabourn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Who knows Nancy?

We have an outstanding award that we can't take for the foreseeable future as we're dealing with a serious health issue. I don't expect we will ever get to use it, as I said I think it's a benefit that will disappear  quite soon.

I'm sure they wouldn't just give those away, but I really don't know.

Desperate times lead to desperate measures!

Isklaar, I am so sorry to hear of health problems and hope that it is resolved soon in a positive way. 

You bring up a good point about milestone award as we have 7 days due and were waiting till after a cruise next year to claim a 14 day cruise but now am not sure if we will be able to redeem it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

Thanks, Nancy.

I'd also like to add that you seem like someone I would enjoy sailing with.  Hope to have the pleasure of meeting you some day on Seabourn.

You’re welcome and thanks for your kind words.  Hope to meet you too 

Nancy

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

So sorry to hear about the health issue.  Are you perhaps able to book a cruise as far out in the future as possible, just to lock in the milestone award, and then perhaps you can move it out again if necessary?  If you haven't already done so, you may want to call SB Club to ask for their advice.  Their team members are very good and caring.

• Thanks 1

I think the new Silversea ships will be more appealing to Crystal sailors. 

Status matching is  a marketing tool.   Should have zero affect on those who have invested hours wondering.  Can't imagine how it would have a negative impact on us.   Loyalty club status should be a very tiny incentive in booking a cruise.   It's not like airline or hotel programs where a bad decision concludes within hours.   What idiot is going to spend $$$$ to get a discount on wine and super slow included laundry service, besides me?

I remember reading about MSC handing out matching status.   How foolish I thought people were to make at least a seven day commitment just to be handed the equivalent of a candy bar. 

SB is doing this on a very limited basis.   Not worth fretting about.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, saminina said:

I think the new Silversea ships will be more appealing to Crystal sailors. 

Status matching is  a marketing tool.   Should have zero affect on those who have invested hours wondering.  Can't imagine how it would have a negative impact on us.   Loyalty club status should be a very tiny incentive in booking a cruise.   It's not like airline or hotel programs where a bad decision concludes within hours.   What idiot is going to spend $$$$ to get a discount on wine and super slow included laundry service, besides me?

I remember reading about MSC handing out matching status.   How foolish I thought people were to make at least a seven day commitment just to be handed the equivalent of a candy bar. 

SB is doing this on a very limited basis.   Not worth fretting about.

I think Seabourn has the service and the sense of family that Crystal cruisers love.
The staff are very warm and friendly yet professional. 
To me Seabourn is currently attractive because of itineraries. I love the small ports they visit in the Caribbean. 
Time will tell what I finally decide….meanwhile enjoying other cruise lines and ships and their offerings. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frantic36 said:

A concern I have is Laundry as having sailed on a few cruises with quite a few people with high status does seem to affect turn around time in that it can take 2-3 days for turn around unless you pay extra for expedited service to within 24 hours. 

Julie,I recommend you and Keith take two pairs of underwear for your thirty five day voyage rather than the usual one.

• Haha 2

I can't imagine that the Milestone awards would be given for anything other than Seabourn sailed days.  Giving free laundry isn't the same as a free cruise.  I'm sure that there was grumbling 10 years ago when Seabourn club points were separated from days sailed to include on board spending.  Buying your way to free laundry!  I would hate to loose any of my Seabourn benefits with a potential sale, but I know this has happened before with other companies.  I wonder if there has been any announcement from the new Crystal ownership about continuing the benefit tiers that were in place on the new sailings.  

It certainly is an interesting development and I would think enticing for Crystal sailors who try Seabourn and actually like it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hoosier74 said:

I wonder if there has been any announcement from the new Crystal ownership about continuing the benefit tiers that were in place on the new sailings.  

there has been no announcement from the new ownership in regards to continuing  on the program.  

nancy