Seabourn recognises Crystal Society status for Seabourn Club

Stickman1990

They are really quick in providing the match.  Submitted the proof and required info on Thursday and today it shows new status on the App.  We are boarding Odyssey today.   Looking forward to our free laundry  🙂

Seriously -- the status match does not mean anything as to what cruise line we sail.  We want a friendly crew, good service, good food and to meet some new cruise friends.  What is a free laundry, some X percent off on shore excursions -- they mean zero without the former.

Safe cruising..

• Like 6

On 6/30/2022 at 2:19 PM, Isklaar said:

My point is that  those who have  tried SB and have commented here don't seem at all keen on the line. From what I read of CC posts it would not have made one jot of difference to their opinion had this offer been available to them. 

Seabourn isn't reading the room  very well! 

1. The number of ex-Crystal cruisers who (a) know about Cruise Critic, and (b) who have also gone on a recent Seabourn cruise, and (c) who bother to comment on their cruise here is vanishingly small compared to the total number of ex-Crystal cruisers.  Of course you will hear complaints (after all, this is called Cruise Critic), but that is a skewed population and most likely not representative of the totality of cruisers who don't post comments here. 

2. Attracting new passengers to Seabourn seems essential for this cruise line to survive.  The large bolus of ex-Crystal cruisers who have been abruptly injected into the pool of possible new clients for Seabourn is incredibly fortuitous.  It would be malpractice for Seabourn not to make an aggressive move to attract them.

3. I can understand that some faithful, longtime Seabourn cruisers would feel somewhat betrayed by newbies being able to skip the line, but this will only be an issue if Seabourn provides an excellent cruise experience, otherwise it will be one-and-done for those newbies at Seabourn.

4. If one has to wait a day longer for laundry, or has to put up with a slower internet, that may be an acceptable price to pay for securing more revenue for Seabourn and, thus, allowing it to continue as a financially viable cruise line in the future.

• Like 7

On 6/30/2022 at 2:16 PM, sfvoyage said:

Not only that, but some of them were loudly and incessantly complaining to guest services (I was on board in March and saw/heard them in action) because they didn't get things exactly how they like it on Crystal.  One in particular threatened legal action if she didn't get her way (i.e. monetary compensation).

I am very fond of the outstanding and hardworking Seabourn crew and felt sorry for them.  A few confided - diplomatically, of course - that "this is not a normal Seabourn cruise."

Of course, a few loud ones make all the noise and troubles, and some Seabourn loyalists are also troublemakers, but my experience and direct observation on that cruise left me feeling sad for the extra stress and burden imposed on the lovely Seabourn crew, unfortunately.

However, not all was lost, as it also gave me even more respect and admiration for the Seabourn crew for their patience, perseverance, and professionalism.  Service jobs are among the hardest there is, with low pay and long hours and having to deal with all kinds of customers.

I was also on a March cruise and Crystal people were there paying 15% less than I did!  And yes, complaining how it was terrible because that wasn’t how Crystal did it. The Seabourn vets easily recognized the crystal entitlements.  The purchased ships cannot get into place soon enough. 

• Like 5

I really liked the Crystal product.  Worse thing about Crystal.....the fellow passengers.   It's something I've said many times.   As a group....obnoxious.   Always met a few that were likeable and not Crystalized.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The pre-bankruptcy Crystal Cruise Line is gone. Period.  What made Crystal the favorite ultra premium cruise line of many (including me) was the outstanding food, service, and ambiance.  A & K bought 2 outdated ships (with the smallest cabins in the market segment), a trade name, and a mailing list.  It did not, and could not, buy  the outstanding food, service, and ambiance.  Whether the "new" Crystal Cruise Line will equal or exceed its predecessor is anyone's guess.  However, if it doesn't live up to the expectation of the Crystal loyalists it will not be a success.  With the operations of the "new" Crystal contracted to vShips and the folks who ran the hotel side of the "old" Crystal scattered to the four winds I am not sanguine that the "new" Crystal will equal its prior incarnation.

That said, I will not give up cruising simply because the old Crystal no longer exists.  I am excited about my upcoming first trip on Seabourn and will endeavor not to compare evert minute aspect of it to Crystal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, saminina said:

I really liked the Crystal product.  Worse thing about Crystal.....the fellow passengers.   It's something I've said many times.   As a group....obnoxious.   Always met a few that were likeable and not Crystalized.

You always tell it like you see it.   I remember you saying a couple of years ago that you thought I would like Crystal.  Hmm.... and I don't think we have met as you didn't introduce yourself on the cruise we were both on.  

Edited by SLSD

You would have enjoyed the Crystal product.   On a boat with 900 or so passengers, there are plenty of nice people.   I was on the March Odyssey cruise mentioned above.  The Crystal group converted Observation Bar into something familiar to them, but not to any person that has not sailed on the line.

And I do not begrudge anyone that can pay less than me for anything.  If you can get on the ship for 15 or 50% less, good for that person.

5 minutes ago, saminina said:

You would have enjoyed the Crystal product.   On a boat with 900 or so passengers, there are plenty of nice people.   I was on the March Odyssey cruise mentioned above.  The Crystal group converted Observation Bar into something familiar to them, but not to any person that has not sailed on the line.

And I do not begrudge anyone that can pay less than me for anything.  If you can get on the ship for 15 or 50% less, good for that person.

Exactly how did they convert the Observation Bar?  How does one even do that?

• Like 2

Evidently, the piano player had been a performer in Avenue Saloon.  So, you get the Crystal crowd, combine the two and magically the OB resembles an evening in the Saloon.   Not that there is anything wrong with that.  It's just a shocker if you're used to a relatively quiet evening in OB after dinner.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, saminina said:

Evidently, the piano player had been a performer in Avenue Saloon.  So, you get the Crystal crowd, combine the two and magically the OB resembles an evening in the Saloon.   Not that there is anything wrong with that.  It's just a shocker if you're used to a relatively quiet evening in OB after dinner.  

Just curious if the piano player was Craig Bowen? He was fantastic on Serenity Avenue Saloon in November.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:03 AM, PaulMCO said:

Seriously -- the status match does not mean anything as to what cruise line we sail.  We want a friendly crew, good service, good food and to meet some new cruise friends.  What is a free laundry, some X percent off on shore excursions -- they mean zero without the former.

I agree, the most important things are good service and good food.  And regarding laundry, my concern isn't so much that clothes may come back a day later than normal.  Rather, it will mean even more work and stress for the hardworking laundry team members.  (I highly doubt SB will increase their headcount.)

Come to think of it, if your sentiments are representative of many of your fellow Crystal guests - i.e. you don't care so much about the freebies associated with the matched status, good food & service are most important - Seabourn's status match campaign will not be much of a success:  Crystal loyalists don't fundamentally care about the little extra benefits, while some Seabourn loyalists may bemoan the diluted loyalty base.

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

I agree, the most important things are good service and good food.  And regarding laundry, my concern isn't so much that clothes may come back a day later than normal.  Rather, it will mean even more work and stress for the hardworking laundry team members.  (I highly doubt SB will increase their headcount.)

Come to think of it, if your sentiments are representative of many of your fellow Crystal guests - i.e. you don't care so much about the freebies associated with the matched status, good food & service are most important - Seabourn's status match campaign will not be much of a success:  Crystal loyalists don't fundamentally care about the little extra benefits, while some Seabourn loyalists may bemoan the diluted loyalty base.

If the concern is for the crew, I would think that you would be all for Seabourn taking steps to entice Crystal customers to become loyal Seabourn customers.  Cruise companies are going to have continued challenges over the coming years to attract customers during stressful economic times, where many of the potential customers are going to remain afraid of venturing out at all, much less on a cruise ship.   Without new customers, Seabourn is going to have a hard time keeping all of those ships afloat. 

Of course, most Crystal customers are not going to choose Seabourn because they get a free bag of laundry or a discount on shore excursions.  Most are going to select Seabourn because of its reputation for top notch food and service and nice ships, or because the itinerary best matches their needs.   If they are unhappy with the food and service, they are not going to return because of a few perks.  But if they are happy with the food and service, these types of perks very well might make some difference as to whether those Crystal customers return for their next cruise, or give another cruise line a try.  That's the very reasons airlines, hotels and cruise lines create loyalty programs.  They are to retain satisfied (but often fickle) customers, not to attract them in the first place.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

I have no idea how this works. I am a loyal Seabourn Club member but have some Crystal Society points from a previous cruise. Why can't those points be converted to Seabourn Club points if Crystal Society points can be switched to Seabourn points? What's good for the gander is good for the goose. Are you listening Seabourn?

On 11/17/2022 at 2:19 PM, Astride said:

I have no idea how this works. I am a loyal Seabourn Club member but have some Crystal Society points from a previous cruise. Why can't those points be converted to Seabourn Club points if Crystal Society points can be switched to Seabourn points? What's good for the gander is good for the goose. Are you listening Seabourn?

Apples and oranges.  The offer to Crystal Society members by Seabourn was done to attract new customers.  It was an Introductory Offer.  This is a standard type of offering that exists in many industries/businesses.  It would make no sense to give existing customers the benefit of an introductory offer.

36 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Apples and oranges.  The offer to Crystal Society members by Seabourn was done to attract new customers.  It was an Introductory Offer.  This is a standard type of offering that exists in many industries/businesses.  It would make no sense to give existing customers the benefit of an introductory offer.

I totally disagree with you. Introductory offer or not, why should my Crystal Society points have no value while yours do?

17 minutes ago, purpleally said:

I guess I’m glad at Seabourn for canceling our Arctic cruise and forcing us to look elsewhere 

annoying crystalers jump the line so to speak, gives them more time to say”on Crystal we did it this way.  Ugh

Such an unpleasant comment

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, nancygp said:

Such an unpleasant comment

Nancy

Agree. I for one am glad you have joined us Nancy. Those from Crystal who don't like how different Seabourn is will probably be a one and done and then move on so it doesn't matter about the status match.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Agree. I for one am glad you have joined us Nancy. Those from Crystal who don't like how different Seabourn is will probably be a one and done and then move on so it doesn't matter about the status match.

Agree!  Thank you!  We’re loving seabourn and can’t wait for our seabourn cruises next year.

Nancy

• Like 4

Having lost thousands by the collapse of crystal I am happy to come back to Seabourn.  Two cruises booked for 2023.  I haven’t sailed since the original triplets,  but excited to try the new ships!  Always had a great time on Seabourn 

Edited by avalon1025
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, purpleally said:

I guess I’m glad at Seabourn for canceling our Arctic cruise and forcing us to look elsewhere 

annoying crystalers jump the line so to speak, gives them more time to say”on Crystal we did it this way.  Ugh

@purpleally Why are you calling me "annoying?"  Have we met? 

• Haha 2

The matching benefits that have been offered do not entice us crystallized passengers. But the excellent and thoughtful service on Seabourn does.

We noticed that like Crystal the staff on Seabourn try to anticipate your needs.

To me that is luxury.

Unfortunately I had to cancel 4 Seabourn cruises in the next few months taking a 50% hit on some. This was due to health reasons. If things pick up I will jump on a Seabourn ship as soon as I can. For now hoping and dreaming.

• Like 3

On 11/18/2022 at 5:31 PM, skybluewaters said:

Not true about only new customers. I was already a Seabourn Club member and got all my Crystal time credited on Seabourn.