Low south of Sydney

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Any ships in the vicinity of the bad weather?

Heard Batesman Bay mentioned and local flooding again - hope all is well in your and your daughter's part of the world, Les. 

No flooding down here, light rain. The east coast low came down as far as North of Ulladulla, about 60km north of here, lucky this time. Sydney, Illawarra and Shoalhaven copped it.

Thank you.

Here in Greenwell Point we have copped it again. Lucky I live on a high spot but I can’t gat out because of local roads flooding. Good that I am well stocked and don’t need anything. Plenty of food and wine.

The eye of the East Coast low pretty much travelled over our roof last night. We had a lot of rain yesterday, but not as much as others. I expected the roads to be a bit feral when I kicked-out at 5am, but it was not windy and with just a few spots of rain and not a lot of standing water on the roads.

A bit of respite today before some more rain tomorrow. I hope everyone else is high & dry.

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

Here in Greenwell Point we have copped it again. Lucky I live on a high spot but I can’t gat out because of local roads flooding. Good that I am well stocked and don’t need anything. Plenty of food and wine.

Good to be well stocked in this weather.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

The eye of the East Coast low pretty much travelled over our roof last night. We had a lot of rain yesterday, but not as much as others. I expected the roads to be a bit feral when I kicked-out at 5am, but it was not windy and with just a few spots of rain and not a lot of standing water on the roads.

A bit of respite today before some more rain tomorrow. I hope everyone else is high & dry.

Glad you didn't get any damage. Hope everyone is high and dry.   I don't think everyone realises an East Coast Low is a cold weather cyclone, with potential to have similar level damage.

Conditions are too bad to rescue 21 crew stranded on a cargo ship which lost power.  Two tugs are heading to the ship to try to drag it away from the Coast. It is being held by two anchors. 

Torrential rain is causing the dams to overflow which is compounding local flooding.  

I just came back from a Probus Club meeting @ Malua Bay, 5 km south of me, big surf running, light rain, I reckon a 4 to 5 metre swell out to sea, not too bad.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Glad you didn't get any damage. Hope everyone is high and dry.   I don't think everyone realises an East Coast Low is a cold weather cyclone, with potential to have similar level damage.

Conditions are too bad to rescue 21 crew stranded on a cargo ship which lost power.  Two tugs are heading to the ship to try to drag it away from the Coast. It is being held by two anchors. 

Torrential rain is causing the dams to overflow which is compounding local flooding.  

Portland Bay is just off the Royal National Park. Looks like 3 tugs are assisting.

Screenshot_20220704-151119.png

I have stopped watching Encounter transiting the Suez Canal to keep an eye on this. Has a Pasha Bulker ring to it. In trouble, no cargo or ballast, to dangerous to evacuate crew. Fingers crossed.

22 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I have stopped watching Encounter transiting the Suez Canal to keep an eye on this. Has a Pasha Bulker ring to it. In trouble, no cargo or ballast, to dangerous to evacuate crew. Fingers crossed.

The unanswered question is why did it leave port under the current sea conditions. 

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The unanswered question is why did it leave port under the current sea conditions. 

ABC News is showing the ship on the news .  It showed a person being lowered on to the ship.  Seems the Captain wishes crew to stay on board to help mend the engine, once ship is in safer waters.  

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That ship could handle those seas, norobs leaving port kembla, the engines went kaput, that is when the ships wallow and lose steering, power, etc.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

That ship could handle those seas, norobs leaving port kembla, the engines went kaput, that is when the ships wallow and lose steering, power, etc.

Ships can't handle those seas sitting so high on the water, and losing the benefit of their prop and rudder over every wave. They must have went kaput before they could pump the ballast tanks full. 

Looks like ship will be towed to Port Botany.

Sydney has had more rain in a couple of days than London in a year.

Really hissing down where I am ATM. Waiting now to sea how much the lake will rise at higfh tide.

Disaster narrowly averted, and a massive effort from a couple of tug operators that managed to secure lines and tow the ship sideways for around 25km to her current resting place at anchor off Cronulla.

I would imagine also a big night in the conditions for the Newcastle super tug that travelled down overnight and this morning, and will be part of the 2nd towing effort into Port Botany when the conditions are safe enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Disaster narrowly averted, and a massive effort from a couple of tug operators that managed to secure lines and tow the ship sideways for around 25km to her current resting place at anchor off Cronulla.

I would imagine also a big night in the conditions for the Newcastle super tug that travelled down overnight and this morning, and will be part of the 2nd towing effort into Port Botany when the conditions are safe enough.

Great effort  by the tug crews.

We're currently in Coffs Harbour which is getting hammered by the rain now. We were supposed to drive back to Sydney tomorrow but after looking at the weather forecasts from here down we've decided to stay another two nights. Luckily the place we are staying had availability for those night although we'll have to change rooms tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're currently in Coffs Harbour which is getting hammered by the rain now. We were supposed to drive back to Sydney tomorrow but after looking at the weather forecasts from here down we've decided to stay another two nights. Luckily the place we are staying had availability for those night although we'll have to change rooms tomorrow.

It looks to have just about cleared the bottom of Lake Macquarie, but not expected to clear the rest of the Hunter for another day.

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It looks to have just about cleared the bottom of Lake Macquarie, but not expected to clear the rest of the Hunter for another day.

There is another front coming down from QLD so between the two weather systems things could be unpleasantly soggy tomorrow. We had concerns about flooding along the way as the highway crosses several major rivers. Better to be safe than stranded and we no longer have to get home at any specific time these days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Glad you decided to stay an extra two nights at Coffs Harbour.  Better to be safe than stuck somewhere on a flooded highway.  

29 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Glad you decided to stay an extra two nights at Coffs Harbour.  Better to be safe than stuck somewhere on a flooded highway.  

That was our thought too. Hopefully it will clear by Friday. We're currently sitting under a "rain train" (convergence zone) according to one weather reporting website. Lots more rain expected this afternoon. 

We're just waiting to change apartments then we'll head into the shops for lunch and to stock up on foodstuffs.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That was our thought too. Hopefully it will clear by Friday. We're currently sitting under a "rain train" (convergence zone) according to one weather reporting website. Lots more rain expected this afternoon. 

We're just waiting to change apartments then we'll head into the shops for lunch and to stock up on foodstuffs.

Keep safe on the roads. 🙂

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Think of it this way Julie and Rolf, a little post cruise road trip. Safe travels back to the garden suburb of Lane Cove. X