To Mask or Not

In NCL Health Protocols it states that wearing masks on board is recommended. However, it does state that it is not mandated. For those that have traveled NCL recently is this policy adhered to? Do most passengers wear masks or not? I am not in favor of wearing a mask at anytime and won't travel if I have to wear one. Will I be made to feel uncomfortable for not wearing one? 

Thanks for any info provided 🤔

2 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

In NCL Health Protocols it states that wearing masks on board is recommended. However, it does state that it is not mandated. For those that have traveled NCL recently is this policy adhered to? Do most passengers wear masks or not? I am not in favor of wearing a mask at anytime and won't travel if I have to wear one. Will I be made to feel uncomfortable for not wearing one? 

Masks are not mandated! last cruise in March, most people did not wear masks, but crew still does i believe 

@Floridastorm, your question will probably create a real (virtual) storm of different opinions of what people should or should not do...but before that happens I will simply answer the question you asked.

We were on BA in June, and I'd estimate that about 10% of the passengers were wearing masks. All of the staff were wearing masks, but even they had to lower them sometimes to be understood in noisy environments.

We were also told in our Freestyle Dailies that masks would be required at each port, but we did not find this to be true. I heard that the NCL excursions were requiring masks while on a bus, but we didn't take any of those so I can't confirm.

In short, if you don't want to wear a mask on your cruise, you don't have to.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

Edited by wil e coyote
clarify wording

As it stands, they are optional on the ship.  This can (and in a few cases has) change at the Captain's discretion should there be rapidly rising case numbers onboard. 

I cruised in March and May and the breakdown was around 1/4 passengers masked, 3/4 not.  Some people (like me) only wear a mask when in involuntary close quarters (elevators, theatre, lineups).

As for the ports we visited, it depended on those countries local laws and rules.  Most western Caribbean ports and Alaska didn't mandate masks.  Masks were mandatory inside the ports in Puerto Rico and the ABC islands.  In Bonaire, St-Lucia and St-Kitts masks were mandatory anywhere indoors at all times (and they were serious about it).  Some of this may have changed since, but the bottom line remains: their country = their rules. 

• Like 1

We were on Epic in May. All of the staff wore masks; at least 75% (if not more) of the guests did not. We masked because I was worried about having to test negative to fly home. That's no longer an issue so I probably would not have been as diligent. 

• Like 1

I cruised in March, if 10% of my fellow passengers wore masks it was a lot (I didn't either) but EVERY crew member did, except those running a game in the Atrium (and they put one back on when it came time for a passenger to be nearby) or on stage in the theater.  On shore, masks were requested in shops but not strictly enforced (primarily speaking of Roatan, Honduras and Cozumel, Mexico) though on my excursion in Cozumel we were asked to be wearing masks when not on the bus.

I did come home with general cold symptoms but I took 3 at-home COVID tests over the course of the next 5 days and all were negative.

All posters here are correct. 

But, you can wear one ... or not - at your own risk!

There have been many many posts here and on other cruise lines that people contracted covid while on cruise or when they got home from cruises. Us included (party of 4).

Best to wear masks when travelling to port - airports and planes are rampant with unmasked infected people.

Up to you.

• Like 2

We were on Breakaway in early March.  We were required to wear a mask while in the NOLA cruise terminal prior to boarding.  We removed the masks the moment we stepped on the gangway to the ship.  We did not put them on again the entire trip.   I think they announced that we had to mask to leave the ship in NOLA.  We did not and no one objected.  BTW, we didn't catch anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

In NCL Health Protocols it states that wearing masks on board is recommended. However, it does state that it is not mandated. For those that have traveled NCL recently is this policy adhered to?

It doesn't sound like there is a "policy" that could require adherence.  If asked, they would likely also recommend that we all exercise, eat right and avoid alcohol on the ship. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

The policy you stated is correct. Masks are at your discrediting. On recent cruises, less than 10% of the passengers were masked. More people were masked on the ship than our local grocery store. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

They are not mandated. On our March cruise on the Dawn, most did not wear them. We didn’t. None of us got COVID and although we all got the initial series, none of us are boosted. We never felt uncomfortable or unsafe.

Edited by FLcruisergrl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

More people were masked on the ship than our local grocery store. 

Here in Bermuda, it's the other way around .... lots more people are masked in all grocery stores than on cruise ships! Even it's optional.

There are still about 25% still unvaccinated and some that are vaccinated are not in great health, and Bermuda is a tiny island of 21 sq miles with 65K ppl, it's like a close community.

Masks are still mandatory on buses and in taxis, in hospital & doctors' & medical buildings. 

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It doesn't sound like there is a "policy" that could require adherence.  If asked, they would likely also recommend that we all exercise, eat right and avoid alcohol on the ship. 🤣

You left out a recommendation not to gamble. 🤣

• Haha 1

If memory serves, NCL NEVER REQUIRED wearing a mask sine the restart.  The current policy has been in effect for at least 18 months.  They were the first cruise line at start up to require COVID testing and vaccines for all guests from the get go.  They recently revised that to allow children who couldn’t be vaccinated to sail.

But, masking was always optional.

• Haha 1

DH and I were in the minority, but we masked up whenever we were indoors.  We were gone a total of 12 days, 5 days in New Orleans and 7 day cruise and didn't get sick.  Since we live in a tourist destination we continue to mask up at the grocery store, Walmart, etc.   It's just our personal preference, even though we're both vaccinated and boosted.  DH has a pre-existing condition that makes us a bit cautious and would like to avoid getting sick if possible.  No one looked at at funny or said anything.

• Like 8

We are in the very slim minority who still mask up while on the cruise 

Amazed me that people jam packed the elevators 10-12 deep without a mask on and then wonder why they got Covid once home 🙈🤔🤔

Also amazed me the number of eye rolls or even a few rude remarks we got because we wore masks 😷😷

• Like 6

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If memory serves, NCL NEVER REQUIRED wearing a mask sine the restart.  The current policy has been in effect for at least 18 months.  They were the first cruise line at start up to require COVID testing and vaccines for all guests from the get go.  They recently revised that to allow children who couldn’t be vaccinated to sail.

But, masking was always optional.

This is incorrect…we cruised in October to Bermuda- masking was optional but recommended. We then cruised a few months later at Christmas, and masking was required. When we cruised in February and April, it was optional as well.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, Floridastorm said:

I just got off the Joy July 3rd and the only time I "had" to wear a mask was walking through the very small Bermuda welcome center and that was for all of 10 seconds.

There is no requirement for passengers to mask on board, but 100% of the crew is masked.

Entertainers were not masked either for obvious reason.

We had somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 passengers on board and I would venture to guess that less than 2% wore masks.

And, I would say that nobody wearing or not wearing masks were ever made to feel uncomfortable.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I just got off the Joy July 3rd and the only time I "had" to wear a mask was walking through the very small Bermuda welcome center and that was for all of 10 seconds.

There is no requirement for passengers to mask on board, but 100% of the crew is masked.

Entertainers were not masked either for obvious reason.

We had somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 passengers on board and I would venture to guess that less than 2% wore masks.

And, I would say that nobody wearing or not wearing masks were ever made to feel uncomfortable.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were on a 12 day TA and some people wore masks but I agree that nobody was made to feel uncomfortable with their decision to wear or not to wear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mlake09 said:

This is incorrect…we cruised in October to Bermuda- masking was optional but recommended. We then cruised a few months later at Christmas, and masking was required. When we cruised in February and April, it was optional as well.

Didn't catch it when masking was required. 

I know NCL made it pretty clear at the restart they did not require masks.  At the same time, they did require vaccinations and testing.  They still do for NA and Greece, which was a recent change (as in the last few days).  

I sailed NCL Escape to Alaska last October.  No masks required (except for crew).

NCL and Celebrity are the only two cruise lines that have been consistent in their requirements.  And, for the most part, their protocols have mirrored each others'.

Sailed Celebrity a year ago.  Vaccines and testing required (except for infants and pre-teens).  Those who couldn't be vaccinated had to wear a mask.

Some cruise lines really never really got their act together with the whole Vaccination and testing requirements.  I heard just recently that HAL is requiring masking, again.  It sounds like their parent (CCL) vascilated so much with their vaccination protocols, the testing protocols, masking, segregation based on vaccinations, etc...they're still struggling a year and a half later.

No matter, NCL is starting to readjust their protocols after their implementations have been successful over a long period of time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LaCal said:

Also amazed me the number of eye rolls or even a few rude remarks we got because we wore masks 😷😷

Plan on masking, as is my family on our upcoming cruise anytime we're inside and not actively eating or drinking.   Especially with allowing those under 12 to be unvaccinated.  Would love for someone to make a comment towards one of us

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

If asked, they would likely also recommend that we all exercise, eat right and avoid alcohol on the ship.

This. Perfect.

• Like 2