LAFFNVEGAS Live From the 7 Day Viking Sagas On Board the MS Rotterdam 7/10/22

LAFFNVEGAS

37 minutes ago, jakkojakko said:

No more updates from the op since thursday. Everything allright?

She was having major problems getting internet service while onboard, but has been updating on her Facebook page.  She is heading home now. 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good Evening from Las Vegas, Yes we are home. Exhausted after almost 24 hours of being up yesterday and arriving home. Then had to start work early this morning and just not got off work.

We were in Flan Norway on Friday and from that point we really had limited internet or at least extremely slow internet. Saturday I was attempting to get checked in to British Airways. I never did get that accomplished.

This report will end up being an abbreviated report of our activities. I am writing this on my pv but will jump into my phone to upload photos.

On Friday as I mentioned we were in Flan which is a beautiful port, actually just what you imagine all of Norway to be. Our tour of Trains, Waterfalls and Waffles was good but not perfect. It was extremely crowded on the train, and especially at the hotel where you had coffee and tea and waffles. Mother Nature was not our friend that day and it was the first day of our travels to have dark clouds and heavy rain. The tour guides timing was way off leaving the hotel, They told us a meeting time and led everyone out to the tracks only problems was it started to rain and there were about 100 people all waiting for the train. Now this would not have been bad had it been about 5 minutes but it ended up being about 50 minutes standing in the rain. At about 30 minutes a train did arrive but it was packed with people and they sent it on to have it return with some empty cars for all of us to get in. We really felt this could have been far more organized.

Saturday was a typical Sea Day of packing and attempting to log into the internet to get boarding passes. Saturday night was Pinnacle. Ended up our server Adi had been our server one of our time in Pinnacle on the Nieuw Amsterdam last July on the first Alaska cruise. When I ordered dessert I asked how fresh the Key Lime pie was and the last time I had it in September the graham cracker crust was soggy and that it tasted like it sat out all day. Not at all like it had been in July or even when they first introduced Key Lime Pie. Adi says to me "What's your second choice?" He says I am going to bring you both desserts. Sure enough, the Key Lime Pie was just as I described being soggy and tasting old. He said I knew you would prefer the Creme Brulee. Then why we were still eating dessert the Pinnacle Chef comes out asking how our meal was. So I told him about the Key Lime Pie. Adi is behind him listening and giving me a big grin. He came over after the Chef left and sai more people need to tell the the truth about things like this. Unfortunately I honestly do not think telling any management these things will help. They are going to continue to do what they are doing.

Sunday for disembarkation went smoothly, we were in fact on the first bus to the airport. But what a totally disorganzed airport. We arrived at the airport at 8:25 for a 11:35 flight.  Schipol is not like any airport I have ever been in, one would think that each terminal would have assigned airlines and that the check in for that airline might be in that terminal. Sadly no, appears airline check in can change from totally different areas and does not remain the same. We were flying Business Class on British Airways to London then on to Phoenix. We waiting over two hours to get checked in. They had just one agent checking us in. Now the next thing is they then have 3 seperate types of security lines. The first was placing your carry on luggage through a security check, then you went further into getting to your gate and it was another line for security check of your boarding pass, then finally there is a long line that seperates out into countries to check your passports. Call me silly but couldn't they consolidate at least two of these proceedures into one check point. Over all I did not find it lacking people working but rather lots of confusion, no signage with no one knowing what they are to be doing and just total disorganization. I have found airports in Tokyo and Rome to be far more organized. We managed to get to our gate in Amsterdam just as boarding was starting and that was only because the flight ended up being delayed about 25 minutes.

We were thankful to get on the plane, I am sure otheres were not as lucky.

Our 10+hour flight from London to Phoenix was a newer 777 that made the United Polaris Business Class look like a Spirit Airlines 2 for one flight. We were extremely impressed with British Airways Business Class. Their food was amazing, I do not think I have ever had that good of food on a flight. Movie and TV selections were also excellent. I would say their down fall is their app ( much like HAL) and the fact you really cannot select you seats, even in Business Class unless you pay extra for  them.

I will come back in later tomorrow and give my over all impression of the cruise and of the ship.

But next I will post more photos. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

thank you for all of your wonderful reports and pictures, Lisa.

Glad to hear you are home safely and hopefully you will be rested after that long trip 🤞 Really appreciate you taking the time and $$ to share your experiences and cruise with us.  👍 

• Like 1

In the next few days I will pop back in here with things I want to add. One thing many have asked about number of Passengers. Our sailing on July 10th was the highest for Europe at about 2450 they consider it to be at 100% . With that being said I will say the ship felt extremely crowded. No matter what time of day if food was being served in the Lido it was packed. Most days was difficult to find a place to eat. 
the Main Show Lounge was totally under utilized and the other lounges way over packed. The Dutch Cafe was another totally packed place with always a long line. It seemed like everything you wanted on the ship there was a line. My feeling is this ship does not have enough space for the people they are packing on board. There is far more space on Signature and Vista Class ships.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Lisa for all the great info. I've been not so patiently waiting for the return trip out of Amsterdam report. I'm very worried about that for our trip in September.  So only because your flight was delayed you made your flight home but it took over 3 hours with all the lines?  Gives me some hope that we won't have too much trouble.🙏

Glad your home and thanks again for the great pictures and info.

Lori

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

In the next few days I will pop back in here with things I want to add. One thing many have asked about number of Passengers. Our sailing on July 10th was the highest for Europe at about 2450 they consider it to be at 100% . With that being said I will say the ship felt extremely crowded. No matter what time of day if food was being served in the Lido it was packed. Most days was difficult to find a place to eat. 
the Main Show Lounge was totally under utilized and the other lounges way over packed. The Dutch Cafe was another totally packed place with always a long line. It seemed like everything you wanted on the ship there was a line. My feeling is this ship does not have enough space for the people they are packing on board. There is far more space on Signature and Vista Class ships.

That’s unfortunate though can’t say I’m surprised. Even at 2450, the passenger space ratio (Gross tonnage divided  by the passenger capacity) is around 40 GT, which is less than the other class of ships. The other classes I’d their ships are around 41 - 42. 

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I observed the over packing of these classes of ship several years ago on the Koningsdam. Even on our sailing in March on the Rotterdam the ship had 60% capacity and felt crowded in the Lido Restaurant several times. This is the problem. If you compare the Rotterdam to Celebrity Equinox which has similar passenger capacity, the Equinox is +20% larger in tonnage. At capacity the Equinox does not seem packed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I observed the over packing of these classes of ship several years ago on the Koningsdam. Even on our sailing in March on the Rotterdam the ship had 60% capacity and felt crowded in the Lido Restaurant several times. This is the problem. If you compare the Rotterdam to Celebrity Equinox which has similar passenger capacity, the Equinox is +20% larger in tonnage. At capacity the Equinox does not seem packed.

I have only done two sailings now with this class of ship, the first was the first sailing on the Koningsdam April 2016 but we were in a Neptune Suite, this time we were in a Aft facing Vista Suite category AS. With the large reduction in bathroom space and closet space (both of these are identical to an Interior stateroom)  I will definitely not be returning to this class of ship unless I catch a good price on a Neptune Suite. I doubt that will ever happen. If I spend that much I will most definitely sail in The Haven on NCL, far more bang for my buck. Personally I feel like they are ripping off those who book the Vista Suites, the additional square footage is not at all noticeable and I much prefer the couch next to the balcony. Why spend that kind of money when basically it is the same as an interior cabin. One can get a regular verandah cabin for drastically less and would fee the same if not better.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I have only done two sailings now with this class of ship, the first was the first sailing on the Koningsdam April 2016 but we were in a Neptune Suite, this time we were in a Aft facing Vista Suite category AS. With the large reduction in bathroom space and closet space (both of these are identical to an Interior stateroom)  I will definitely not be returning to this class of ship unless I catch a good price on a Neptune Suite. I doubt that will ever happen. If I spend that much I will most definitely sail in The Haven on NCL, far more bang for my buck. Personally I feel like they are ripping off those who book the Vista Suites, the additional square footage is not at all noticeable and I much prefer the couch next to the balcony. Why spend that kind of money when basically it is the same as an interior cabin. One can get a regular verandah cabin for drastically less and would fee the same if not better.

I agree, the vista suite is a waste of money.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, dfish said:

Looking forward to your report.  We board the Rotterdam on July 17 and will wave to you from the Movenpick that morning.

hope you have a good trip.

I was supposed to do the same trip in 2020 and 2021 and stay in the same hotel.

Maybe 2023 it might happen.  Enjoy the new ship

• Like 1

I appreciate seeing your photos and reading about your experiences.  

8 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

My feeling is this ship does not have enough space for the people they are packing on board. 

This surprises me because of my experience on the Nieuw Statendam when I sailed her in the Caribbean soon after she started sailing.  As to the over-hyped World Stage, I hope the person who devised that has found employment in his/her McDonald's.  

Your photos of Flam and the train trip returned good memories.  It's a great tour regardless of other issues that sometimes occur.  

• Like 1

I did also notice the lido was usually a zoo during my Rotterdam sailing. I chalked it up to the passenger mix and the usual first-time cruiser preference to eat there, but that could be a wrong assumption. I usually found a spot by the pools for lunch or ate lunch at later hours to avoid the lido rush hour.

• Like 2

Playing catch up with your posts. Enjoyed your pictures of Norway. We're doing a Norway cruise next year gives us an idea on what to look forward to. Schipol airport can not be as bad a Venice I don't think we have ever been in an airport as disorganized as that, hope I never have to fly into or out of Venice again.

• Like 2

Hello I really enjoyed your posting. I will be taking this cruise in September.  I have a few questions.  

1. Do you think it will be colder in September. What was the temperature like during the day

2. How did you all pack for the fall season.

3.Did you find that you needed a heavy coat or just a jacket.

4. Did it rain every day or was it windy

5. How early do you have to get up to see the fjords

Again Thank you. You really have me excited and really looking forward.

@LAFFNVEGAS, my sister and I had the same conversation a few nights ago about the Rotterdam that we sailed back in March.  We were both disappointed with various aspects of the ship, but mostly the cabin and service in the DR.  Also the lines, crowding, and wait times at things like the Dive In.  We would have been satisfied with an outside cabin vs. paying the extra for the veranda.  The beds were narrow (like a gurney!) and too close together.  The cabin was crowded and poorly arranged.  

We were both looking forward to sailing on a new ship and came up disappointed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oakgrove girl said:

Hello I really enjoyed your posting. I will be taking this cruise in September.  I have a few questions.  

1. Do you think it will be colder in September. What was the temperature like during the day

2. How did you all pack for the fall season.

3.Did you find that you needed a heavy coat or just a jacket.

4. Did it rain every day or was it windy

5. How early do you have to get up to see the fjords

Again Thank you. You really have me excited and really looking forward.

Unfortunately weather is very unpredictable, right now they are having breaking record heat waves in Northern EU. Ipacked like I would going to Alaska with having layers butdid not bring aheavy coat, my husband did bring his heavy coat and he wore that on the one day it rained in Flam and I wore his hooded sweat shirt and seater and I was still a bit cold. September could be extremely cold or it could be nice and in the 70's. Really no  way to know.