First cruise with RCI coming up - not at all impressed

I've been listening to the cork sniffers for years tell me how great RCI is, especially compared to Carnival. As fate would have it, my in-laws booked an Alaska cruise for us on RCI, and it has not been impressive.

The website is almost useless. You can't do much from it compared to Carnival. Find cruises, picking staterooms, etc, is so much easier. RCI doesn't use the Verifly app, preferring to do everything by paper, like we're in 15th century England. We can't test 3 days out, so coming to port a couple days early means we have to test there, which means a negative tests causes A LOT of preventable problems. Given how many covid outbreaks have been happening on RCI lately, does it even matter if we test?

Then this whole fiasco with the Quantum ship not going to all the destinations, and absolutely no communication about it, no updates on the (worthless) web site, etc. My itinerary still shows excursions I booked and paid for, yet they're on days listed as sea days, or they don't fit into the new port schedule. Seriously, it shouldn't take this long to fix something, and it absolutely floors me that for what you pay for an RCI cruise, the service is non-existent. 

/rant

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, squierjosh said:

I've been listening to the cork sniffers for years tell me how great RCI is, especially compared to Carnival. As fate would have it, my in-laws booked an Alaska cruise for us on RCI, and it has not been impressive.

The website is almost useless. You can't do much from it compared to Carnival. Find cruises, picking staterooms, etc, is so much easier. RCI doesn't use the Verifly app, preferring to do everything by paper, like we're in 15th century England. We can't test 3 days out, so coming to port a couple days early means we have to test there, which means a negative tests causes A LOT of preventable problems. Given how many covid outbreaks have been happening on RCI lately, does it even matter if we test?

Then this whole fiasco with the Quantum ship not going to all the destinations, and absolutely no communication about it, no updates on the (worthless) web site, etc. My itinerary still shows excursions I booked and paid for, yet they're on days listed as sea days, or they don't fit into the new port schedule. Seriously, it shouldn't take this long to fix something, and it absolutely floors me that for what you pay for an RCI cruise, the service is non-existent. 

/rant

I didn't realize there were planes in 15th century England.   WTH is a "cork sniffer"?

Covid is on EVERY ship in every line, including Carnival.  Just like it's everywhere on land.   As for the excursions, it takes time to rearrange those.  We had a change in our schedule in the spring and it took a couple of weeks for everything to show up properly.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

I just booked my first RC cruise after 11 with Carnival and I agree 100% about the web site. Don't know about anything else, but Carnival's site (with all its glitches) is much more user friendly and much easier to navigate. 

• Like 4

It has been 10 years since my last cruise with any company, but I would have to agree that RCCL's website is a mess. I can remember I used to be able to follow the prices of my cabin pre final payment, could look for final payment and find it easily, and make adjustments to my booking. Now i can't find any of that on there.  Maybe it's just me but somehow I doubt that.

2 hours ago, squierjosh said:

The website is almost useless.

My parents use a travel agent so they've never looked at the website.  I'm not sure if they only book excursions on board or if their TA does that for them too.  They were surprised when I mentioned how bad the RCI website is.

9 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

My parents use a travel agent so they've never looked at the website.  I'm not sure if they only book excursions on board or if their TA does that for them too.  They were surprised when I mentioned how bad the RCI website is.

Cruise planner stuff is fairly easy to book.

I have a TA to do the booking chore

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

TA's no longer have access to clients cruise planners.  If a TA us booking it for them it is because the clients have given the TA their log in and password

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don’t know about anyone else, but complaining about a free cruise?  And to start out calling RC cruisers “cork sniffers”?  Let’s just be rude & snotty from the get go.  I think you should ask your in laws to move your cruise to carnival.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 23
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

TA's no longer have access to clients cruise planners.  If a TA us booking it for them it is because the clients have given the TA their log in and password

I'm not sure the last time they went on a cruise but it's been at least 5 years.  It may have been before that. Or maybe they booked excursions by phone?  I just know that I was very frustrated with the website for any information and they never used it for anything before so had no idea how bad it was.  

1 minute ago, gluecksbaer said:

I'm not sure the last time they went on a cruise but it's been at least 5 years.  It may have been before that. Or maybe they booked excursions by phone?  I just know that I was very frustrated with the website for any information and they never used it for anything before so had no idea how bad it was.  

5 years ago TA's had access to yheir cruise planner. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, squierjosh said:

/rant

Wow you are bi***ing before you even board a Free Cruise given to you by the cork sniffing In-Laws.    Do they know you call them that?     If not, they may know now if they are on CC.

What is done by paper?

Have you downloaded the Royal caribbean app where you can upload your vaccine card, complete your check in, etc. etc?

Yes, Unfortunately Quantum is having trouble with one of their engines and unfortunately has been changing itinerary.     An email was probably sent to whoever booked the cruise.

Why bothering testing if done 3 days out?     grant it 2 days out is not much better.  

You do realize that every single cruise ship has covid?   Not aware of any Outbreaks on any ship.     

How about you go on your free cruise then come back and tell us if you liked it?

• Like 15

We can't test 3 days out, so coming to port a couple days early means we have to test there, which means a negative tests causes A LOT of preventable problems. Given how many covid outbreaks have been happening on RCI lately, does it even matter if we test?

Up until now, we have been using eMed proctored tests for our cruises (7 post restart cruises so far). Fast. Easy. Done where you are 2 days prior to cruise. If we're at the departure city early, done from the hotel room. If we're at home, done at the kitchen table while sipping coffee. 

That being said, NCL is dropping their pre-cruise testing requirements. Wonder when RCCL will fall in line. 

Not sure why you would spend the extra cash to sniff a cork. Should have booked with your favorite cruise line. 

• Like 2

I’m sailing with RCL for the first time. I haven’t done anything with paper for my July 23rd cruise- I’ve uploaded selfies, vaccine records, etc. And I’m glad we’re testing at 2 days out, instead of three. It’s a hassle but it’s safer. 
NCL cancelled the July 5th cruise for the NCL Sun  on July 4th- some things just suck and it doesn’t matter which cruise line  you’re with. When you’re dealing with unexpected issues, it takes some time to come up with a plan. If you need perfection, now might not be the time to cruise. 

Edited by caitlynambrai
Added that I’m a first time RCL cruiser
  • Like 10

41 minutes ago, poocher said:

Don’t know about anyone else, but complaining about a free cruise?  And to start out calling RC cruisers “cork sniffers”?  Let’s just be rude & snotty from the get go.  I think you should ask your in laws to move your cruise to carnival.

Squierjosh is not doing anything but enforcing the alleged reputation of the class of hard core Carnival cruisers.

@squierjoshnot sure what you mean when you say "which means a negative tests causes A LOT of preventable problems."  How can a negative covid test cause any problems?  Also, are you implying that you don't have to test for Carnival? It actually looks like Carnival's testing is stricter than RCL's requiring a PCR test. At least RCL will allow you to do a home proctored antigen test.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Guests age 2 and older must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test, taken within 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date at check-in. (For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday, but not on the morning of embarkation). Unvaccinated guests (age 2 and older) must also take an antigen test at embarkation. On cruises longer than 4 days, guests will be tested again within 24 hours of debarkation. Guests traveling on back to back cruises will need to be tested in between voyages.

• Irrespective of voyage length, antigen testing will be provided on a complimentary basis to children ages 2-4. Children ages 5-11 will be charged US$60 per person, and guests ages 12 and older will be charged US$150 per person on their onboard Sail & Sign account.
  • Prior to traveling to the cruise terminal, guests should review their pre-cruise test results to ensure it includes their full legal name, date of birth, type of test, date and time sample was taken, test result stating “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” and laboratory, testing site, and/or healthcare provider details. Handwritten test results are not acceptable.

Please refer to our COVID-19 FAQs for complete information on testing requirements and resources.

I hope you have a good cruise, but I highly doubt you will because you are already pulling stuff out of your behind to be mad about.  

• Like 8

The website isn't great, but I honestly haven't found any of the websites of lines I've sailed with recently to be any good (cunard, ncl, princess).

In Alaska, both the Quantum and the Crown Princess are having mechanical issues affecting their ports.  If your excursions are cancelled, you might want to also research private excursions, as they will save you 10% and it is relatively easy to reach from port.  Temsco is the helicopter provider that (at least 11 years ago) was the subcontractor for the cruise excursions, and we also really liked the Bering sea crab excursion.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Up until now, we have been using eMed proctored tests for our cruises (7 post restart cruises so far). Fast. Easy. Done where you are 2 days prior to cruise. If we're at the departure city early, done from the hotel room. If we're at home, done at the kitchen table while sipping coffee. 

That being said, NCL is dropping their pre-cruise testing requirements. Wonder when RCCL will fall in line. 

NCL is only dropping for certain cruises, not everywhere yet.   Probably trying out like HAL is doing with 3 or 4 cruises out of Europe this month.

4 hours ago, squierjosh said:

/rant

Good to know Crampy Critic lives up to its name lol.

Edited by calakerfan00
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, cured said:

Squierjosh is not doing anything but enforcing the alleged reputation of the class of hard core Carnival cruisers.

@squierjoshnot sure what you mean when you say "which means a negative tests causes A LOT of preventable problems."  How can a negative covid test cause any problems?  Also, are you implying that you don't have to test for Carnival? It actually looks like Carnival's testing is stricter than RCL's requiring a PCR test. At least RCL will allow you to do a home proctored antigen test.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Guests age 2 and older must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test, taken within 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date at check-in. (For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday, but not on the morning of embarkation). Unvaccinated guests (age 2 and older) must also take an antigen test at embarkation. On cruises longer than 4 days, guests will be tested again within 24 hours of debarkation. Guests traveling on back to back cruises will need to be tested in between voyages.

• Irrespective of voyage length, antigen testing will be provided on a complimentary basis to children ages 2-4. Children ages 5-11 will be charged US$60 per person, and guests ages 12 and older will be charged US$150 per person on their onboard Sail & Sign account.
  • Prior to traveling to the cruise terminal, guests should review their pre-cruise test results to ensure it includes their full legal name, date of birth, type of test, date and time sample was taken, test result stating “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” and laboratory, testing site, and/or healthcare provider details. Handwritten test results are not acceptable.

Please refer to our COVID-19 FAQs for complete information on testing requirements and resources.

I hope you have a good cruise, but I highly doubt you will because you are already pulling stuff out of your behind to be mad about.  

Wow Carnival testing looks like a pain in the @$$.   And they charge for the kids 5 or older tests, royal does them for free.  

• Like 3