Does one HAVE to use the Medallion?

Zoey

On 7/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, ontheweb said:

That really does not answer my question about could someone else access our cabin as the door unlocks as we get near it even if we are not entering the cabin.

I would be more concerned about losing your Medallion when walking around the ship. Anyone that finds it can have access to your cabin until you report it lost including directions to your cabin door. 😲 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, broker1217 said:

How do you order a drink with a card?

You tell the server what drink you wish. He or she then gets the drink and delivers it. You sign the slip after handing over your card.

I guess no one was ever able to get a drink on Princess pre-medallion or on any other cruise line at the present time. 🤦‍♂️

21 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I would be more concerned about losing your Medallion when walking around the ship. Anyone that finds it can have access to your cabin until you report it lost including directions to your cabin door. 😲 

Thank you. That would not be a problem with a lost card as it would not give those directions.

3 minutes ago, wineforhealth said:

But then again a medallion  can be tracked 

So, after the "finder" goes to your room, he or she after doing whatever, just leaves the medallion in the room after departing.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So, after the "finder" goes to your room, he or she after doing whatever, just leaves the medallion in the room after departing.

But will the perpetrator remember not to carry their medallion with them, as they can  be tracked as well. 

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But will the perpetrator remember not to carry their medallion with them, as they can  be tracked as well. 

And will they remember to wear gloves so as not to leave fingerprints on the stolen medallion. 

22 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Most anything of any value is in the safe, so the thief can have my clothes.

And the mini bar setup

Edited by wineforhealth

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

After they get finished rummaging through your cabin they have no need for it any more. 

Has this happened to anyone else?? My MedallionClass app / cell phone told me that I was exposed to covid. I tested in my room, waited 15 minutes, was negative, went to PSD to report, and gave him a fright. Sheer panic on his face. Told him he could see my test (C line barely visible, no T line). But he'd backed way up. Apparently Med Center on a dedicated line wanted it. In that it was negative I just went to GS for a cold one.  Found me. Oops. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wineforhealth said:

Most anything of any value is in the safe, so the thief can have my clothes.

And the mini bar setup

👍except my mini bar setup is traded for 2 coffee packages the minute I drop my luggage. Only 'jewelry' left out are my MardiGras beads. Current value = $1.25 + tax 

Edited by Ombud
Typo

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Of course, you have already said how well they would have to plan this caper. You don't suppose they would make some elementary mistake like that. 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

And will they remember to wear gloves so as not to leave fingerprints on the stolen medallion. 

But will they realize that every one of those displays at the cabin doors are tablets mounted in a frame. I believe they are Samsung tablets as well. If you look closely you will see there is a camera facing out, Don't think for a minute Princess security wouldn't be able to get the video of each and every person going into and out of a cabin.

Not only will they have to wipe the medallion or wear gloves, they'll need a mask to disguise themselves. Oh wait! That's yet another topic that's been beaten to death and probably will still be flogged for some time go come! 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Has this happened to anyone else?? My MedallionClass app / cell phone told me that I was exposed to covid. I tested in my room, waited 15 minutes, was negative, went to PSD to report, and gave him a fright. Sheer panic on his face. Told him he could see my test (C line barely visible, no T line). But he'd backed way up. Apparently Med Center on a dedicated line wanted it. In that it was negative I just went to GS for a cold one.  Found me. Oops. 

🤦‍♂️, and yet another less than wonderful result from having the medallion.

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:
2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I respectfully disagree. If I pop positive (I didn't, retested self 2 days later & still negative) I'd want to know. Don't you want positive ppl to isolate while contagious??

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And what is wrong, pray, in being informed that you have been close to someone with Covid. 

And nothing to do with the Medallion. Millions  of  people had track and trace on their phones without any problem.

You really do have an unhealthy obsession with the Medallion. 

Edited by wowzz

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

And what is wrong, pray, in being informed that you have been close to someone with Covid. 

And nothing to do with the Medallion. Millions  of  people had track and trace on their phones without any problem.

You really do have an unhealthy obsession with the Medallion. 

If you do not want to be close to someone with covid, maybe you should not be on a crowded cruise ship or fly to the cruise port.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 4:30 PM, Mike45LC said:

One benefit of the card key over the Medallion:  The card key does not have a tracking device built into it.   Why does the ship need to keep track of my location? I know they can track me using video monitoring, but they probably don't.  The Medallion insures that they do in fact track me.

"Well, they need to track you to be able to deliver food and drink."   No, they do not.  I don't order food or drink using my cell phone (the one time I tried, it was a complete fail).  This aspect of the Medallion is intrusive, in my never humble opinion.

I am a huge fan of NOT being tracked.  We have cruised since the 80's without being tracked and have always had a great time.  Other than marketing and possibly selling that information to third parties, what use does Princess have for it?  Why does Princess need to know EXACTLY where we are on the ship?  We resisted getting smart phones until it became apparent that we needed them for international travel to contact family in the event of an emergency.  As for being tracked at home, I once worked for a lawyer who wrote up small print on contracts and he told me, in rather strong language, to ALWAYS read the small print which I do, y es I am one of those tiresome people  😉 because the small print is never in favour of the consumer.  But by doing that, I have done my best to voluntarily avoid giving third party companies access to my information.  Does this stop everything?  Oh hell no.  But if it makes me feel better and DOESN'T AFFECT ANYONE ELSE, why does it matter to anyone else.  My life, my choice.  Ok, getting of my soapbox now, please hold the applause or throwing of tomatoes.  ROFL

Edited by Anubi
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:11 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Then be sure to not: carry a cell phone, turn on a computer, sign up for a grocery store "frequent shopper" card, drive a car (cameras everywhere). Likely more thing/places that track us and many more to come.

I am well aware of all these things and I find it creepy. 🥸

Although the advantages of using the medallion far outweigh not using it, I think the only time they would absolutely force you to use it would be when boarding and leaving the ship. When you scan in and out it brings up your picture on their device which they check for security reasons. 

27 minutes ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

If you order 2 drinks at the bar do you need both medallions if you & partner have Plus or can you order with just 1 medallion the 2 drinks?

I would not want both drinks charged to my Plus account. If I did I wouldn’t be able to drink after 6pm. Since we keep separate accounts the bar can only see those who are there 

So we can just request a card from the desk?  Even if we have and use the medallion?  I've yet to sail on a ship with medallions and was a bit disappointed to find out I wouldn't get another key card to add to my collection.  I have every key card from 20+ years of cruising.

My life is boring enough that I don't worry about being tracked. I am certainly no expert, but wouldn't the cruise card have also recorded where and when in the system each time you made a purchase, or maybe even opened your cabin door?

• Like 1