Smoking in bathrooms during Covid isolation

zitsky

On another website someone claimed “the” cruise lines allow pax with Covid to smoke in their bathrooms during isolation.  Has anyone heard about this or has direct experience?  I am not a smoker.  I did a search on that website but I didn’t find any confirmation of that story.

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

On another website someone claimed “the” cruise lines allow pax with Covid to smoke in their bathrooms during isolation.  Has anyone heard about this or has direct experience?  I am not a smoker.  I did a search on that website but I didn’t find any confirmation of that story.

I was not able to find anything online to corroborate that claim. All the information from Celebrity states that smoking is not permitted in staterooms, period.

• Like 1

We were on a Princess Alaska Cruise May 25th to June 8th, and the quarantine zone on that ship was on Aloha Deck (deck 12) portside, balcony rooms.  We had a pretty high count of positive cases, though there were no official announcements indicating numbers.  Guests quarantined in those rooms were allowed to smoke on the balcony.  

I recall reading a "live from" thread with Jim and Iain in which I believe Jim had stated that once he and his partner were quarantined in their oceanview room, his partner was expressly told he would be permitted to smoke in the bathroom. If I remember correctly, they were on the Silhouette doing a rather extensive cruise in the Caribbean, TA and Europe. 

10 minutes ago, nunuc2000 said:

We were on a Princess Alaska Cruise May 25th to June 8th, and the quarantine zone on that ship was on Aloha Deck (deck 12) portside, balcony rooms.  We had a pretty high count of positive cases, though there were no official announcements indicating numbers.  Guests quarantined in those rooms were allowed to smoke on the balcony.  

I recall reading a "live from" thread with Jim and Iain in which I believe Jim had stated that once he and his partner were quarantined in their oceanview room, his partner was expressly told he would be permitted to smoke in the bathroom. If I remember correctly, they were on the Silhouette doing a rather extensive cruise in the Caribbean, TA and Europe. 

You are correct, I recall reading that too. But is there any information that states this is a policy that extends across the fleet? Or was it one off, perhaps only on the Silhouette ?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Nope. That would be a fire hazard. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

You are correct, I recall reading that too. But is there any information that states this is a policy that extends across the fleet? Or was it one off, perhaps only on the Silhouette ?

Don't know... all I know is that there have been confirmed cases of the cruise lines allowing passengers to smoke in bathrooms/balconies... just addressing the OP's original post.  I suspect it is probably a case by case (or ship by ship) decision made by the captain. 

2 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

And the next person that gets the cabin will just have to live with the stench, right?

😝

There is equipment to handle that.  Fresh Wave makes a particularly effective unit for hotel use.  Bathroom surfaces would be some of the easiest to deal with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Just pay the $250 fine and smoke where you please.

That suggestion might prove to be more than a $250 fine. One could also be put off the ship at the next port.

• Like 4

Forcing someone to go into nicotine withdrawal while also having COVID might not be helpful. I can see the logic of permitting smoking in the bathroom because it protects the soft-goods in the rest of the room.

I'm not a smoker and I would not want to be in a smoker's room that hadn't been treated, but I can see why Celebrity would be flexible. Could be an argument for going back to quarantine in verandah rooms!

33 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Forcing someone to go into nicotine withdrawal while also having COVID might not be helpful. I can see the logic of permitting smoking in the bathroom because it protects the soft-goods in the rest of the room.

I'm not a smoker and I would not want to be in a smoker's room that hadn't been treated, but I can see why Celebrity would be flexible. Could be an argument for going back to quarantine in verandah rooms!

Shouldn't be allowed to smoke anywhere in the staterooms or on the balconies either. Give the smoker a nicotine patch or gum. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Shouldn't be allowed to smoke anywhere in the staterooms or on the balconies either. Give the smoker a nicotine patch or gum. 

Go ahead and get hooked, then try the patch/gum solution cold turkey, and let us know how that works out for you.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, canderson said:

Go ahead and get hooked, then try the patch/gum solution cold turkey, and let us know how that works out for you.

Quit cold turkey over 31 years ago after smoking for 26 years. No problem. No aids at all.  I haven't had the craving for the addition since. Try it, you may surprise yourself. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Quit cold turkey over 31 years ago after smoking for 26 years. No problem. No aids at all.  I haven't had the craving for the addition since. Try it, you may surprise yourself. 

I did the same, smoked 17 years and quit 38 years ago.  To the original question; If it is allowed, how could they monitor the bathroom only rule?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

That suggestion might prove to be more than a $250 fine. One could also be put off the ship at the next port.

Definitely true.  Had smokers on the balcony of the cabin next to ours.  We (and others) complained and they were warned first verbally, and then again in writing and told if they did it a third time they would be disembarked at the next port and prevented from sailing Celebrity again.

I am not a smoker, but honestly I would feel for someone who got Covid and then got quarantined in a cabin where they were unable to get their fix.  Nicotine is addicting and I'm sure stopping cold turkey, while possible, would really be asking a lot from someone already suffering from Covid symptoms.  But then they often quarantine people in outside cabins without balconies (and occasionally inside cabins I've heard) and I think that is about as inhumane as heck!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am not a smoker, but honestly I would feel for someone who got Covid and then got quarantined in a cabin where they were unable to get their fix.  Nicotine is addicting and I'm sure stopping cold turkey, while possible, would really be asking a lot from someone already suffering from Covid symptoms.  But then they often quarantine people in outside cabins without balconies (and occasionally inside cabins I've heard) and I think that is about as inhumane as heck!

It might be wise for people who will really struggle with being confined to a cabin, whether it’s about claustrophobia, smoking, or whatever,  to think twice about cruising right now.  It could happen to any of us

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

Totally can't believe I am seeing this idiotic post

First, I did not make the claim.  I’m just asking about it.

Second, I like your user name because it always makes me smile.  It reminds me of a certain South Park episode.  🙂

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

There is equipment to handle that.  Fresh Wave makes a particularly effective unit for hotel use.  Bathroom surfaces would be some of the easiest to deal with.

Yea I would hope they clean the bathroom.  I can’t stand the smell.  I once checked out a car I wanted to buy but passed on it when it smelled of smoke.