Bye Bye Silversea Cruises

Yankeeclipper1

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I certainly have. Must say I’m a wee bit surprised that the Torygraph makes it that far north 😎

It’s digital these days. Not that many that want to read it can navigate a tablet with their severe arthritis. It’s almost as obsolete and cantankerous as the Observer. 

34 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

It’s digital these days. Not that many that want to read it can navigate a tablet with their severe arthritis. It’s almost as obsolete and cantankerous as the Observer. 

I so want to have a discussion on Putney, having lived down the road from there (the wrong road) in my youth (before you were born) for a few years on my first foreign trip. But it would be off topic. 🙂

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I so want to have a discussion on Putney, having lived down the road from there (the wrong road) in my youth (before you were born) for a few years on my first foreign trip. But it would be off topic. 🙂

Lived on Upper Richmond Rd (closer to Barnes side) near the Arab Boy.  Loved it, loved Richmond Park, Wimbledon Park, Richmond, London, UK. 

19 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m certainly not a cheerleader in any way of any line. I am however a pragmatist. I Did take a cruise in January (not SS) despite my friends questioning my sanity for doing so. I Set out upon my adventure not expecting perfection given the current global situation, but with the attitude that I was going to enjoy every available  minute and experience as much as I was able to. Setting sail with those expectations, I was pleasantly surprised every day. I Had an absolute ball.  Had I set sail with the attitude that I was paying for and expected perfection, especially in a very difficult world  then I would have been very disappointed with my holiday. How anybody can expect to have such specific demands met fully on a ship, during the current global circumstances makes me wonder how much they intended to enjoy their cruise at the outset, especially if they have lived in Putney.

Hi Davey We finally got to take another SS cruise after the one we shared. This was to Alaska not our first choice but wanted to use up our credits.When we arrived at the airport we were not met by anyone.First thought was here we go again.We took a cab to the hotel and would deal with it later .The hotel was probably a 2 or 3 star hotel not up to previous standards.I understand that Alaska has limited hotels but the staff was surly.The cruise now was worrisome.Arrived at the terminal and after many papers to be checked we were on board.Met our Butler who was more than a 5 star.The best we have ever had on our previous 6 cruises with SS.The food had improved greatly.We were most pleased.Service again had improved.We did meet with the Hotel manager about the airport and hotel experience. He did admit they were having problems with both and thanked us for talking with him.Overall the trip was very good.Problems happen but it is how they are handled that makes the difference.Sorry so long and I probably hijacked this thread but wanted to tell you about our recent experience. Stay safe hope to meet again.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:04 AM, Capri73 said:

Hi Davey We finally got to take another SS cruise after the one we shared. This was to Alaska not our first choice but wanted to use up our credits.When we arrived at the airport we were not met by anyone.First thought was here we go again.We took a cab to the hotel and would deal with it later .The hotel was probably a 2 or 3 star hotel not up to previous standards.I understand that Alaska has limited hotels but the staff was surly.The cruise now was worrisome.Arrived at the terminal and after many papers to be checked we were on board.Met our Butler who was more than a 5 star.The best we have ever had on our previous 6 cruises with SS.The food had improved greatly.We were most pleased.Service again had improved.We did meet with the Hotel manager about the airport and hotel experience. He did admit they were having problems with both and thanked us for talking with him.Overall the trip was very good.Problems happen but it is how they are handled that makes the difference.Sorry so long and I probably hijacked this thread but wanted to tell you about our recent experience. Stay safe hope to meet again.

I’m so happy you took the plunge Capri. Alaska is the most amazing experience. I’m so happy it all ironed out for you. Did you get to see Humpies?  I’m not sure we’ll ever sail SS again as I believe that the passenger base has shifted too much for us. I Do hope that we meet up with you somewhere in the world though at some point, I do miss the beautiful and fascinating fellow adventurers that we met aboard the old Silversea before the invasion. Did you ever get the contact details for Amy & Hal? Until we meet again… xxx 

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m so happy you took the plunge Capri. Alaska is the most amazing experience. I’m so happy it all ironed out for you. Did you get to see Humpies?  I’m not sure we’ll ever sail SS again as I believe that the passenger base has shifted too much for us. I Do hope that we meet up with you somewhere in the world though at some point, I do miss the beautiful and fascinating fellow adventurers that we met aboard the old Silversea before the invasion. Did you ever get the contact details for Amy & Hal? Until we meet again… xxx 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:17 PM, Silver Spectre said:

It’s on a par with Lidl and Aldi here. So that’s well below Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury, let alone Marks and Waitrose. And what on earth is Sam’s Club?

Nah. Can't agree with that. Aldi and Lidl sell no brand budget stuff. Costco isn't (IMHO) a cheap store, but do think it concentrates on quality. I can't think that "middle aisle" cheap junk better suited for poundland, found in them would ever appear in Costco.

My biggest grumble with Costco is leaving with a huge bill. It's not a store to replace a usual supermarket shop...but it's so much more.

I even bought my car indirectly through them with a 6% discount better than everywhere else I checked. Doubt anyone would be doing that in Lidl! 😀

The other and possibly most important thing is the customer service and no quibble warranty. Second to none I'd say.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, crickette said:

Davey

Interested in how the passengers have changed?

Well, he did post a scathing opinion of his view of SS passengers.  Guess it did not pass the moderator test and was removed.   They should have deleted the questions that led to his post.  And this one, too.

How does food on SS compares to Oceania? We sailed on Oceania twice, 2018 and last December, both times the food was outstanding across all venues. Planning our first SS cruise in December (Dubai-Mumbai).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

How does food on SS compares to Oceania? We sailed on Oceania twice, 2018 and last December, both times the food was outstanding across all venues. Planning our first SS cruise in December (Dubai-Mumbai).

Food is so subjective and personal that you are going to get a lot of conflicting opinions and will be useless to make a decision on. SS is luxury and more expensive, Oceania is premium so You should expect the food to be on average better on SS. We will be on SS in August so we will have an opportunity to see for ourselves how it compares to Crystal and Seabourn.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Although we haven't sailed on Oceania for some time, we've always consider the food on Oceania the best at sea.  Silversea's food is fine, but there were many more memorable dishes on our Oceania cruises.  Although the food on the Silver Galapagos was right up there with Oceania quality -- except for the non-local beef, which was pre-cooked and frozen on the mainland.

Seabourn's food is acceptable, but nothing really stood out except for one or two Keller meals we had.  Our biggest complaint with Seabourn is the overcooked fish, especially the halibut.  Even when we ordered it rare, it came out like cardboard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seattleskibums said:

Although the food on the Silver Galapagos was right up there with Oceania quality -- except for the non-local beef, which was pre-cooked and frozen on the mainland.

That's also what Oceania's beef is like in the Galapagos – the same government regulations affect them.  It's okay for people who like their beef medium or more done, but medium rare is impossible.

2 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Food is so subjective and personal that you are going to get a lot of conflicting opinions and will be useless to make a decision on. SS is luxury and more expensive, Oceania is premium so You should expect the food to be on average better on SS. We will be on SS in August so we will have an opportunity to see for ourselves how it compares to Crystal and Seabourn.

SS is more expensive because it's more exclusive, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better in all departments. Many people consider Oceania food the best at sea, but yes, it's very subjective. Just curious to hear opinions (even subjective) from people who sailed on both.

I am surprised no one mentions the difference when the chefs change.

In our Explorer days we loved it when Pia was the chef and not too bad with the Australian grant. he lived in Thailand so i was able to get some nice spicy food..

I am sure it is not the ship that makes the food bland and flavourless but I suspect the chef has a big impact.

I am sorry Daveywavey70 that it seems we will never meet.

We had some really great meals on Oceania Regatta. The beef bourguignon in the MDR and some of the pasta in the Italian restaurant were fantastic. Better than Atlantide or La Terrazza, but not La Dame. There were enough other problems with the cruise that we’re staying away from Oceania, at least for now. 

Regarding chefs: We changed head chefs part-way through our last SS cruise and there was a noticeable improvement in the beef and lamb after that. 

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

On our Indian crewed ships we had Indian / Gujurati chefs cooking for the Indians and Goanese chefs cooking for European staff.

Two different chefs and styles of cooking.

Generally speaking the Indian chefs were far superior 😁 as they cooked what what was wanted ... and were not trying to massage a chefs ego 🙄

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

We had some really great meals on Oceania Regatta. The beef bourguignon in the MDR and some of the pasta in the Italian restaurant were fantastic. Better than Atlantide or La Terrazza, but not La Dame. There were enough other problems with the cruise that we’re staying away from Oceania, at least for now. 

Regarding chefs: We changed head chefs part-way through our last SS cruise and there was a noticeable improvement in the beef and lamb after that. 

Thank you.

I'm curious what problems did you have with Oceania. We had two cuisses with them so far and were very happy (except for not enough activities and mediocre entertainment, but this is less important for port intensive itineraries). 

15 hours ago, ak1004 said:

SS is more expensive because it's more exclusive, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better in all departments. Many people consider Oceania food the best at sea, but yes, it's very subjective. Just curious to hear opinions (even subjective) from people who sailed on both.

SS is not "more expensive because its more exclusive" it is what it is, it is certainly not exclusive  or more exclusive than any other cruise line.   

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

In our Explorer days we loved it when Pia was the chef and not too bad with the Australian grant. he lived in Thailand so i was able to get some nice spicy food..

I am sure it is not the ship that makes the food bland and flavourless but I suspect the chef has a big impact.

I am sorry Daveywavey70 that it seems we will never meet.

You are so right about the different Chefs.  We were lucky enough to have Pia on the Cloud in June. Best cruise food we have ever had. She and staff quickly learned our taste preferences and delivered amazing flavors.  A trip on the Muse last fall delivered the most mediocre food we have ever had at sea. 

• Like 1