Viking Promotion

gnome12

38 minutes ago, swong13 said:

This is in US and may vary by location.

Which makes me wonder if the CC promotion is only sent to US site users. Would a subscriber to a newsletter in the UK get this?

I have never received a promotion or things like that from CC. No idea if that is my settings or they just know that I am not in the US/Canada/UK etc. To be honest, I have never thought about this before now.

By the way, Viking does not market to German speaking folk.

notamermaid

20 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I just got an email from Cruise Critic announcing $25 deposit on all Viking river, ocean and expedition sailings. What they don’t mention is when the final payment is due!

I was wondering the same thing.  If you have to pay in full by 9/30/22, it's not a deal.  

32 minutes ago, Roz said:

I was wondering the same thing.  If you have to pay in full by 9/30/22, it's not a deal.  

However, if you already have another Viking cruise on the books, the pay in full date can be set to six months out.  We booked a March 2024 cruise using the offer, final payment due September 2023, total deposit $50 Cdn.  We are pretty happy with the offer.  We don’t use cruise airfare, so the free/cheap flights offer that’s more common is no no interest at all to us.

18 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Which makes me wonder if the CC promotion is only sent to US site users. Would a subscriber to a newsletter in the UK get this?

I can't see I have the option to subscribe to newsletters, this is what I see if I click on Newsletters in my Profile

CC-Newsletters.png

• Thanks 1

The online ads I've been targeted with tout a $1999 on certain sailings, click here.

I am never linked to ANY cruise that costs $1999. And if it is that last sailing in November, lead with that.  Don't just link to your standard drop down menu of 'pick a month'.  Actually show me what the sale is.

5 hours ago, Roz said:

5 hours ago, bookbabe said:

However, if you already have another Viking cruise on the books, the pay in full date can be set to six months out.

Sorry, but from a European Union customer standpoint with maximum three months full payment before any river cruise, I fail to see the deal, too. How does only $25 dollar deposit make the river cruise any cheaper? I guess I would need to read the e-mail in full. To me from the little information I have it sounds like empty bait. I will leave it at that.

notamermaid

11 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Sorry, but from a European Union customer standpoint with maximum three months full payment before any river cruise, I fail to see the deal, too. How does only $25 dollar deposit make the river cruise any cheaper? I guess I would need to read the e-mail in full. To me from the little information I have it sounds like empty bait. I will leave it at that.

No, it doesn't really save money - but for someone from the U.S. who has at least one Viking cruise booked (river and ocean can be mixed), a $25pp deposit is incentive to book now as there is much less risk if you change your mind - or a better offer comes around. I agree that when Viking advertises a low fare, they should indicate sailing dates as prices can vary greatly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

No, it doesn't really save money - but for someone from the U.S. who has at least one Viking cruise booked (river and ocean can be mixed), a $25pp deposit is incentive to book now as there is much less risk if you change your mind - or a better offer comes around. I agree that when Viking advertises a low fare, they should indicate sailing dates as prices can vary greatly. 

35 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Aah, I see now. Thanks.

notamermaid

Squawkman has explained it well.  As an example, our March 2024 cruise is 35 nights, which should have an essentially non-refundable $1000pp deposit.  It’s much easier to walk away from $25pp if things go sideways again.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, notamermaid said:

I have never received a promotion or things like that from CC

I book direct with Viking and get promotional emails and letter from them. Also when  booking direct with them I have been offered money off and the Silver Drinks package that hasn't been advertised

Edited by pontac

11 minutes ago, pontac said:

I book direct with Viking and get promotional emails and letter from them. Also when  booking direct with them I have been offered money off and the Silver Drinks package that hasn't been advertised

That may be even more true now, with them trying to fill up ships.

Vantage lists their last minute sailings (typically they leave in 1-2 months) under a 'ways to save' dropdown menu on their homepage.  Easy to find the actual sale price, and you can quickly figure out if it is a real deal.  I wish VIking made it that simple.