Regent Dining Clarifications (Lunch, Room Service, etc.)

Cate_88

Hello! We are new around here and newer cruisers considering some longer itineraries and b2b cruises on Regent. We haven't sailed with this line before and have some questions I'm struggling to find answers for elsewhere!

I understand Lunch is available in Compass Rose? Is there any example menu out there for the lunch menu? Is it quite similar to the day's rotating dinner menus or more a set lunch menu each day like the set breakfast menu?

I also want to clarify: can you order off the dinner menu at Compass Rose to be served in-suite?

Do the in-suite canapés apply only to certain suite categories? I'd be curious to know what some of the past offerings have been. 

Similarly, is it possible to have afternoon tea brought to the suite (not necessarily served with flair - just brought by!)? 

Those are most of my outstanding question - although if anyone has commentary on the Enrichment lectures, I'm always all ears. I travel for Food, then Ports, then Enrichment (though that order can mix and mingle depending on my mood that day!). Thank you all! 

The Enrichment lectures are the luck of the draw.  The lectures on my last two cruises in 2019 and 2022 were quite good and related to the area we were cruising, the ones in either 2017 or 2018 were terrible.  It is important to comment on your cruise survey about the Enrichment leatures so that Regent can bring back the good and drop the bad.

• Like 1

Yes lunch is available at Compass Rose,  its my understanding that its also available at some of the specialty restaurants on the Explorer/Splendor.  The Compass Rose lunch menu is more set with a couple of specials.  Regent no longer posts example Compass Rose lunch menus, I'm sure someone here will help you out with a recent menu.  If you have good weather the pool grill also has good burgers & dogs ++.   We don't like buffets.

Not sure what category room you are in but if you are new to Regent I'd recommend a Concierge Suite if you can swing it.  If you are in a higher category "Te Salut, Don Corleone".

We have had one exceptional enrichment person and one that was just plain awful.   Sometimes you can check who the person is on the cruise information.

29 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Not sure what category room you are in but if you are new to Regent I'd recommend a Concierge Suite if you can swing it.  If you are in a higher category "Te Salut, Don Corleone".

Will a Concierge Suite get you canapes in the room (OP's question)?  I thought that was only if you have a Butler, i.e. Penthouse or higher. 

IMO, the biggest advantage for newbies to book a Conciege Suite is early booking of excursions (365 days vs 300 days) and specialty restaurants (90 days vs 75 days).  If you book less than 365 days out, and definitely if less than 75 days, then most of the advantage over a regular veranda suite would be lost.  You can do a pre-cruise hotel night on your own for less than the price difference, and the hotel may not even be included if you book late.

Cate_88:

Some additional "foods for thought"--

Compass Rose is not-necessarily open for lunch every day.  It depends on whether the ship is at a Port; or at-sea.  On sea days, two of the three specialty restaurants aboard Explorer and Splendor; and two of the two similar restaurants on Mariner and Voyager are open.  Navigator--smallest, and oldest ship--has one specialty restaurant.  It will be open.  On Port days, usually--one specialty restaurant will be open.  NO reservations.  Suggest you show up on the early side of lunch time.  

Yes--you can order off the Compass Rose dinner menu' for course-by-course serving in your Suite (regardless of booking class)--at dinner time.  

As for afternoon tea:  Room Service is 24-7.  Want Tea with some goodies at 0200H?  Call, and it will happen.  Same for normal Tea Time, which is usually 1600H, and served on all ships.   

Canapes' are routinely available daily for Suites at the Penthouse and above level(s).  We normally eschew same when in a Penthouse (or above).  That's just us. 

I am sure--again--if you want some canapes--call Room Service.  

BTW:  Everything is served "with a flair", regardless of type of Suite.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Will a Concierge Suite get you canapes in the room (OP's question)?  I thought that was only if you have a Butler, i.e. Penthouse or higher. 

IMO, the biggest advantage for newbies to book a Conciege Suite is early booking of excursions (365 days vs 300 days) and specialty restaurants (90 days vs 75 days).  If you book less than 365 days out, and definitely if less than 75 days, then most of the advantage over a regular veranda suite would be lost.  You can do a pre-cruise hotel night on your own for less than the price difference, and the hotel may not even be included if you book late.

No there are no canapes, I've never felt hungry on a cruise tho.  You are correct the primary advantage to concierge suites is the additional time for dinner and excursion reservations.  If you within that time window the advantages are marginal, only real advantages are the upgraded internet (4) and maybe room position.   We got shut out of a couple excursions and had undesirable specialty restaurant times on our first cruise with a basic veranda.

13 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Compass Rose is not-necessarily open for lunch every day.  It depends on whether the ship is at a Port; or at-sea.  On sea days, two of the three specialty restaurants aboard Explorer and Splendor; and two of the two similar restaurants on Mariner and Voyager are open.  Navigator--smallest, and oldest ship--has one specialty restaurant.  It will be open.  On Port days, usually--one specialty restaurant will be open. 

Has this changed recently?

My recollection is that Compass Rose is open for lunch on Mariner, Navigator & Voyager; whereas on Explorer & Splendor Compass Rose does not open for lunch but either Chartreuse or Prime 7 is open on port days, with both available on sea days.

This was a previous summary of dining options that I posted:

Unfortunately, I think that some of the lunch sample menus have been removed from the website since I posted this.

15 hours ago, Cate_88 said:

I understand Lunch is available in Compass Rose? Is there any example menu out there for the lunch menu? Is it quite similar to the day's rotating dinner menus or more a set lunch menu each day like the set breakfast menu?

Lunch in Compass Rose is available on Mariner, Navigator & Voyager. The menu is specific to lunch and includes some appetisers and main courses from the specialty restaurants.

On Explorer & Splendor, Compass rose is normally closed for lunch (except for special events) but lunch may be taken in either Prime 7 or Chartreuse; again with specific lunch menus.

Do the in-suite canapés apply only to certain suite categories?

Penthouse & above.

I travel for Food

There are plenty of options on all Regent ships.

Hopefully you will find food & drink that suits your palate. I do not think you will go hungry 😎

22 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Has this changed recently?

My recollection is that Compass Rose is open for lunch on Mariner, Navigator & Voyager; whereas on Explorer & Splendor Compass Rose does not open for lunch but either Chartreuse or Prime 7 is open on port days, with both available on sea days.

Compass Rose was open every day for lunch on our cruises on the Voyager & Mariner.  Specialty restaurants were not open for lunch.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If my memory serves me (pre-covid) Navigator Prime 7 was used for overflow from LaVeranda for breakfast and lunch

There are also usually appetizers served in the Observation/Galileo's before dinner.

IMO what restaurants are open for lunch will depend on how many passengers.

• Like 1

Or just go have some tea sandwiches and treats at 4 p.m. and hold off til dinner!

Or you can always get salty snacks in the bars before dinner and as mentioned above occasionally canapes. Great canapes at all the "parties" like Captains Welcome, Silver Seas Society, etc.

With apologies for poor photos - taken for my journal rather than to share worldwide 😉  Hopefully they give a fair impression of the CR lunchtime menu, even though they are from a couple of years ago.  Whilst on Splendor last November, we found many of these favourites still featured.

DSC08945.jpg

DSC08946.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all so much - this has been extremely helpful, especially about the difference between Concierge etc. Seems like canapés really aren't needed and no sense to go for Concierge if booking late anyhow. I'm curious how booked up regent excursions get - will impact whether we make last-minute bookings in the future or not. 

The lunch menus are extremely helpful and of course just make me hungry! I always prefer a sit down lunch unless a scheduling need necessitates a quick trip to the buffet or pool grill. I don't think I'll be hungry on regent - but I might consider buying larger clothes for a longer cruise (or upping my gym game!). 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cate_88 said:

...but I might consider buying larger clothes for a longer cruise (or upping my gym game!). 

Thanks! 

Buy larger clothes.  I'm pretty certain it's the damn sea air that shrinks my wardrobe when I'm on board...seems the longer the cruise, the more the salty breeze shrinks my duds.  It's a problem indeed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Question about room service (since this is a dining clarification thread I thought I'd ask here, I found this from a search).

I've only done Room Service once or twice for breakfast, I don't recall doing it for dinner off the top of my head or it was 2008 if I did.

How does it work for alcohol? I know you have your "in suite" bar/setup, but let's say you do not have any wine in your suite (or appropriate wine for that matter) but would enjoy some with your meal. Will they bring a bottle if you ask? I am thinking specifically of the non-premium ($$) offerings.

9 minutes ago, slidebite said:

Question about room service (since this is a dining clarification thread I thought I'd ask here, I found this from a search).

I've only done Room Service once or twice for breakfast, I don't recall doing it for dinner off the top of my head or it was 2008 if I did.

How does it work for alcohol? I know you have your "in suite" bar/setup, but let's say you do not have any wine in your suite (or appropriate wine for that matter) but would enjoy some with your meal. Will they bring a bottle if you ask? I am thinking specifically of the non-premium ($$) offerings.

You can order a bottle or two for that matter to be brought to your suite at any time. We frequently order a bottle for afternoon snacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slidebite said:

Will they bring a bottle if you ask? I am thinking specifically of the non-premium ($$) offerings.

As fudge said you can get a bottle any time but if you want a bottle or just a glass or 2 brought with dinner they will definitely do that.  If you don't want a full bottle or you and your spouse would like different varietals you can just order by the glass.  For example, you can each order a glass of white for the appetizer and a glass of red for the entree or a glass of pinot noir first and then a glass of cab sav with the entree. They will do whatever works for you. 

• Thanks 1