The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 12th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Cow Appreciation Day, Etch A Sketch Day, and Paper Bag Day

You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.--Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Pesto Penne With Vegetable Ribbons
Drink of the Day - Island Breeze
Wine of the Day - Quinta da Alorna 2017 Reserva Touriga Nacional-Cab
Destination of the Day - Whitehorse, Yukon

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Stockholm, Sweden 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Santorini Island, Thira, Greece eta 07/13

Rotterdam

Oslo, Norway 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Red Bay NL, Newfoundland, Canada eta 07/13

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07/13

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0712Atlantic.thumb.png.59abc341ddfcb5a5c16a342d5a50404b.png

0712Alaska.thumb.png.454e20b8bdfe1ed942cb4be36162f853.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thank you for the Fleet Report and Daily.

We had some much needed rain overnight.

Cows are beautiful (and tasty).  I remember etch-a-sketch, lots of fun.  Paper bags are useful, but I use a re-usable bag for groceries.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds very good, looking forward to the recipe.

The drink sounds like something I want to sip on a BHB.  I hope the wine is good too.

I haven't been to Whitehorse, but hubby was years and years ago.  I wonder where the pictures are?

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 30

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I'm conflicted with the quote, I guess it depends on the circumstances.

Etch a Sketch was fun. 

The meal is something I would like as anything with pasta is OK with me.

Hooray for cows for the milk they give.

Been to Glacier Bay, it was cold.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 32

Good afternoon.

It is 70°F but cloudy today in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I remember using Etch a Sketch when I was at infant school.

I rarely use a paper bag as they split easily but they are popular when buying a quarter pound of loose sweets.

It is important cows are breeded to supply our milk and our meat.

The quote is part true but we always have to consider our partners feelings.

I like Penne pasta.

I am looking forward to seeing today's port photos.

Prayers 🙏 and good wishes to everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone.

It is another beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  It is going to be a warm one, though.  I need to get out early to do my laps.  We managed to figure out Donna's flight issues last night so she is a-ok and we are all systems go.   Today I have to hit up the drug store for some supplies and I'll be ready to put the finishing touches on the suitcases.  

@HAL Sailer I am so sorry to hear of your DB's Covid problems.  What a shame it came at this time.  

Today's meal would definitely fall into the category of comfort food.  It sounds heavenly except for the carrots, but I would just leave them out.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-pesto-penne-with-vegetable-ribbons/

297204059_creamypestopenne1.jpg.e1fabe88e0fd2085c69cc5e234bfd4ea.jpg

This one omits the heavy cream and quite a few calories that come with it.  But, it looks just as good!  https://www.cleanandmean.co.nz/home/2019/7/15/easy-pesto-pasta-with-vegetable-ribbons

965187748_creamypestopasta2.thumb.jpg.78d6b165dabaaa37102819d3a4158571.jpg

This one is for the vegans in the family and also a good one for the carb counters.  Zucchini is used as the "pasta" and a creamy alfredo sauce is made to go over the zucchini.   Worth a try.  https://foodal.com/recipes/veggies/zucchini-ribbons-in-vegan-pesto-alfredo-sauce/

1683531020_creamypestopasta3.thumb.jpg.31b0b2951445f437add977ac003c512d.jpg

This next one is for those who crave a little protein with their noodles.   https://www.saltandlavender.com/salmon-pesto-pasta/

145223091_creamypestopenne5.thumb.jpg.31bb445749e5c1f23c6407e8482d202c.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially victims of violence and injustice.   Special prayers for our Daily family members facing challenges, whether it be health or otherwise.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a lovely day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. A lovely morning here.  We are packing up to head to the beach for a few hours before it gets too hot. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. I was sorry to read of your cousin’s passing. I hope you have lots of wonderful memories to help ease your pain. The girls were very excited to learn it was Cow Appreciation Day! They had lots of fun picking out today’s meme. 

FAE7C3D8-5E11-4494-A3AA-A9F7B69FC912.jpeg.e02155fa4dec9799767ea48791d621f4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Quinta da Alorna 2017 Reserva Touriga Nacional

This Cab from Portugal is bold & intense. Perfect for robust foods. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $12.99.

Winemaking:
After 2 days of cold pre-fermentative maceration it follows the alcoholic fermentation with controlled temperature at 23ºC. After the Malolactic fermentation the wine has been aged on second used American Oak barrels for 6 months.

Grape Varieties:
Touriga Nacional

Tasting Notes:
Colour purple. Floral, violets and blackcurrant aromas. Ripe tannins give great depth while the fruit is round concentrated and powerful. Persistent finish.

Store and Serve Advices:
Serve at 16-18ºC.

Food Pairing:
A good partner for red meats and cheeses.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich.  Most of my Canadian relatives either do or at one time have had cows, and I love both their dairy contributions and what they give us as their final sacrifice.  I use paper bags for some groceries and then they become my recycling bags.  Never done Etch A Sketch but it sounds like a nice idea.  The Sparks quote sounds quite selfish and the polar opposite of what Father David talked about Sunday.  Nice to see the Koningsdam at the port that serves Whitehorse.  I was last there on my 2018 Yukon/Denali tour after disembarking the Volendam.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and NSA Vanilla Ice Cream  my first dinner on MS Rotterdam VI on the way from New York to Amsterdam, July 12, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
HAL Sailer DB with severe covid
Buddy final days in Hospice
Heartgrove brother discharged but prognosis still uncertain
From the rotation:
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Tana with persistent cough

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome home aliaschief
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Volendam caring for refugees
5 days for dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
4 days for Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9)
ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16).  dobiemom (Rotterdam to 7/17), RWSBADGER (Noordam to 7/17), and  luvteaching (Westerdam to 7/17) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Cows are definitely appreciated and paper bags are very handy and compostable 👍 I like the first part of today’s quote but not the hurting people you love.  @dfishall those meals looks tasty 👍 

Had my neighbour over yesterday for some wine and cheese.  What a lovely afternoon we had, laughs, chat and wine.  Great combination 😃  Needless to say, I didn’t get weeding done after she left. 😉 

It’s looking like rain - so I guess that means it’s back to more clothes and sorting and hopefully getting some order in place.  Ugh.  But, it has to be done.

@HAL Sailerso very sorry for the news on your DB’s covid.  Prayers for him 🙏🏻 .

@rafinmdmy condolences on the loss of your cousin 🙏🏻 

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.

89AE71D9-0A62-4426-936B-7D30556B821B.thumb.jpeg.cedcac44a5da9633737430348119b5b5.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning, Dailyites, from a hot and steamy Kingston.  We begged off going in to London with my cousin, she decided to go without us, so we will just meet up for dinner.  We went for a walk to the large Bentalls  shopping centre just around the corner.  Sixty years ago , probably this month, I bought my wedding dress in Bentalls in Kingston.  It’s not the same any more, and even though it’s still called Bentalls Centre, the big shop in the mall is Fenwick.  Looks like the mainstay in a lot of the shops is at least hats and “fascinators “ - no wedding dresses , though. 

Fenwick hats

8F7118C1-AC18-46E4-A544-3E0AE16824F0.thumb.jpeg.172f1234576dfe31d3822d74fd83bb98.jpeg  

John Lewis hats

5EA525EA-39AC-4BEF-9ED3-A51BD5A6F57F.thumb.jpeg.2ac24aa5a2444bfb9aa7173f0960dc96.jpeg

Street art in Kingston

4AEB0A01-A236-4A22-9B06-AEB351F2A09B.thumb.jpeg.cbdec2b5207a7207367f8b2f8c6cd231.jpeg

Sunset on the Thames last night

7169306E-6645-4015-A704-0D3E30C9FDEE.thumb.jpeg.ea29c78b0973b8d36a98bf623328c7ed.jpeg

where cousin Eleanor went today

F0D7A614-2C46-412F-8676-7ECD5A75B462.thumb.jpeg.c2cabd755fd227937d719b2709476981.jpeg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, dfish said:

HAL Sailer I am so sorry to hear of your DB's Covid problems.  What a shame it came at this time.  

Yes, it's extra disappointing that DB can't sail his final race as his son was joining him on the crew for this special occasion. My DB is vaxed + double boosted, so his being so, so sick is a puzzlement and the malaria relapses he's had since serving in Vietnam are an additional concern as he fights Covid. This 'sis' is very worried about her 'bub'.

Thanks, ALL, for your prayers,

-Melisa

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

Cow Appreciation Day

E1876E4D-9066-49A6-A4C6-8110FE17F23B.thumb.jpeg.7ca2bcfb64f7f6692633697825751d0c.jpeg

Have you heard of “cow hugging”?  Meditate with cows, spend time hugging them and cuddle with them.  It is supposed to make you feel more hopeful, inspired and deeply connected to yourself and the world around you.

https://www.nbc.com/today/video/how-cow-hugging-has-become-a-popular-new-form-of-meditation/NBCN726149913

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Yes, it's extra disappointing that DB can't sail his final race as his son was joining him on the crew for this special occasion. My DB is vaxed + double boosted, so his being so, so sick is a puzzlement and the malaria relapses he's had since serving in Vietnam are an additional concern as he fights Covid. This 'sis' is very worried about her 'bub'.

Thanks, ALL, for your prayers,

-Melisa

As a fellow Vietnam vet, I'm sending special prayers his way.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich.  Most of my Canadian relatives either do or at one time have had cows, and I love both their dairy contributions and what they give us as their final sacrifice.  I use paper bags for some groceries and then they become my recycling bags.  Never done Etch A Sketch but it sounds like a nice idea.  The Sparks quote sounds quite selfish and the polar opposite of what Father David talked about Sunday.  Nice to see the Koningsdam at the port that serves Whitehorse.  I was last there on my 2018 Yukon/Denali tour after disembarking the Volendam.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and NSA Vanilla Ice Cream  my first dinner on MS Rotterdam VI on the way from New York to Amsterdam, July 12, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
HAL Sailer DB with severe covid
Buddy final days in Hospice
Heartgrove brother discharged but prognosis still uncertain
From the rotation:
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Tana with persistent cough

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome home aliaschief
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Volendam caring for refugees
5 days for dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
4 days for Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9)
ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16).  dobiemom (Rotterdam to 7/17), RWSBADGER (Noordam to 7/17), and  luvteaching (Westerdam to 7/17) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 15

Good morning friends!  Not such a pretty morning here, lots of clouds and even patchy fog over the tree tops.  Many chances of rain this coming week.  I had a little bit of a restless night and leg pain in the early morning hours.  Still got up and walked my 2.5 miles on the treadmill.  No plans out of the house today.  

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Fleet Report and Daily.  Interesting days to celebrate, such as the cows.  I appreciate them for the milk and beef they provide.  I remember Etch a Sketch from my childhood, and was never very good at it, but enjoyed it just the same.  We used to pack lunches for school and work in little paper bags, but rarely use one anymore.  The pasta dish looks really good!  Thanks Debbie @dfishfor the variety of recipes.  I'm glad to hear you have the flight situation under control.  You are going to have a wonderful cruise, I'm sure of it.  Whitehorse, Yukon is a spot we've never visited before.  It was posted here last on June 20, 2021.  Thanks in advance for any pictures coming up.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the new Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers lifted for all on the Care list and any others not listed that you know of that need them. 🙏 My twin scheduled a carpal tunnel and ulnar release surgery for yesterday, while I was away on my cruise and I didn't even know about it until a few days ago.  She asked her daughter Amy if she should cancel it with Buddy in hospice but Amy said no, go ahead with it.  So she had that done yesterday and was home and in no pain last evening.  So much going on in everyone's life!  Cheers for all on the Celebration list.  Enjoy your happy events/cruises!🥂

I hope this is a good day for everyone. Stay safe!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily Reports.   The cocktail looks like a great one on HMC.  The wine looks good too, pasta dish pretty but not what I would pick.

Cows were an important part of my family history from family dairy in Bismarck ND in the 20s to family farm with dairy during my early life. 

A gray day here so we are heading to town. Our Walleye fry last night was great. We got our hot water heater installed yesterday so that was wonderful. Sick of using hot hose water for bathing. Prayers for all needing them. 🙏

nrQZh7cySPCZrq6yRa3qOQ-1.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  (my font has been stolen again)   

93a96ee41a37898511e77e79997a5ef8.jpg

Book club was interesting yesterday. Only one person had finished the book.  Three of us kept falling asleep reading it.  So we discussed books we had read in the past.  And caught up with each others lives, and helped give our host ideas of what to visit while driving back south along the east coast (they are off to visit their niece in Canada, camping all the way).

But last night while i was on the phones, the host called to let us know that one of his daughters had called and told them she had Covid.  They had spent Saturday with her, and that we should get tested. DH and I dont have big plans for a while, but the other guest is scheduled for surgery tomorrow.

I normally these days dont feel well anyway.  So I guess i should take a home test tomorrow morning. DH did go out into the world this morning, meetings and shopping, I reminded him to take his mask, AND WEAR IT!

d8210b384a8b500260f12ca46c54cd2d--humorous-animals-funny-animal-pictures.jpg

Have a great day, sending many prayers to all of you.  Smile, even if you don't mean it, eventually you will.

4453f82fb3c0ec5e3027c254de403e2e.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning from an already warm 81F at 7:30am central Texas.  I'm heading out shortly for a grocery run before it gets too hot.  Our high for today is predicted to be 106F. so we'll stay inside keeping cool most of the day.

I appreciate cows for what they give us, but have learned from watching Dr. Pol, that they can be mean.  I discovered the DD's Etch-a-Sketch last year when I was sorting through boxes in the attic.  It's either still there or was donated to the thrift store so another child could enjoy it.  Paper bags have a lot of uses, but you rarely see them anymore.

I cannot agree with the part of the quote about hurting those you love.

The meal looks good, and the wine sounds nice. We'll pass on the drink.

We have driven to Alaska seven times going through Whitehorse, and driving back through there on the return except the one time we took the Alaska Marine Highway back to Prince Rupert.  I'll look for the pictures I posted in a few minutes.

I'm glad to see that several Canadian Dailyites are getting much needed rain.  I wish it was possible to send some our way.

@aliaschief  Safe travels and on time flights today.  I can relate to leaving in the middle of the night to get to the airport.  

@dfish  I'm glad that Donna's flights are all in order.  Now, you can relax, pack and enjoy a great cruise.

@cat shepard  Ann, the girls picked another great meme today.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm happy that yesterday you got to enjoy good conversation, cheese and wine with a neighbor.

@Vict0riann  Ann, with the heat, you probably made the right decision to skip today's outing into London.  Thanks for the pictures.

@HAL Sailer  I hope your DB is feeling better today.  It's too bad that he won't be able to do his last race.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, while you do not have a blood clot, I'm sorry the leg issues are still ongoing and a solution has not been found.

@ottahand7  Glad your new water heater has been installed.

@marshhawk  Sorry you have been exposed to Covid through someone who was exposed. Fingers crossed that no one gets it.

Lenda

f

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4