Watch out for London Heathrow !

We were very lucky to arrive and then transit through London Heathrow Airport last week with no issues. But we did notice unclaimed luggage strewn about the baggae claim area. Now this:

London’s Heathrow Airport Limits Passengers Amid Staff Shortages, Surging Demand

https://www.wsj.com/articles/londons-heathrow-airport-limits-passengers-amid-staff-shortages-surging-demand-11657622503?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Edited by chaunceyb

• chaunceyb changed the title to Watch out for London Heathrow !

Bill to be honest I don’t really expect people to put any blame on Regent for flights through Heathrow .  For us we fly from Aberdeen airport to Heathrow and then connect to forwarding flight. That’s the only route for most of the flights we would be taking and it’s currently well known and advertised that issues are widespread here in UK. 
We just hope for the best and and are fully aware of the issues we can’t control.  Jean.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, liptastic said:

Bill to be honest I don’t really expect people to put any blame on Regent for flights through Heathrow .  For us we fly from Aberdeen airport to Heathrow and then connect to forwarding flight. That’s the only route for most of the flights we would be taking and it’s currently well known and advertised that issues are widespread here in UK. 
We just hope for the best and and are fully aware of the issues we can’t control.  Jean.

Jean, that was meant as a joke...it obviously missed the mark!  Seriously, I think anyone traveling anywhere these days just needs to roll with the flow as much as possible.

We passed on a second cruise this year in order to fly to Guam to see our daughter; we'd originally booked a week+ in Japan on the way home but found out Japan was still closed.  So we rebooked through Hawaii...then Japan opened.  Not trusting them to stay open, we kept our return through Hawaii...and our flight has already been changed 3 or 4 times - and we don't leave for another 6 or 7 weeks yet!  I think with enough deep breathing and bourbon I might be able to get through this...

• Like 1

Bill fully understand your post. We have our first cruise post lockdown next month , long time since Mariner may 2019.  Absolutely it’s a concern to flights to travel to baggage and we wouldn’t be honest if we didn’t have worries about it now. The chilled 🥂🍾on flights and lounge I hope will keep me from panic mode until we arrive with 🧳🧳🧳 in tow . Regards Jean.

2 hours ago, liptastic said:

Bill fully understand your post. We have our first cruise post lockdown next month , long time since Mariner may 2019.  Absolutely it’s a concern to flights to travel to baggage and we wouldn’t be honest if we didn’t have worries about it now. The chilled 🥂🍾on flights and lounge I hope will keep me from panic mode until we arrive with 🧳🧳🧳 in tow . Regards Jean.

Jean we were being sent from Manchester to Miami via Heathrow with 90mins to change terminals and catch our connecting flight 😱😱 so we are catching the shuttle down the day before, hanging onto our luggage and checking it in the day we fly. Plus I have bought some Apple itags to go in the cases too,so fingers crossed they should join us on the cruise and eventually find their way back to us on the journey home 😜

Bill:  

As one former Military Guy to another (I believe)--

Here is another coping mechanism for stress and strain when dealing with vagaries of life, and particularly the current, and it appears, ongoing COVID situation. Or, like having unattended luggage lying around at Heathrow.  Or, like, having three Regent cruises either from, or to, Tokyo canceled over the past two years. 

Hope springs eternal for a fourth try--September, 2023 Explorer, Vancouver to Tokyo.  

But, as usual, I digress.  

Advice given by one of my Seattle University Jesuit Instructors many, many years past.  When all else fails, 

Prayer and fasting.  

Take care.  

GOARMY

Jim

Techno thanks for mentioning the apple itags . We are looking into them as I type . My husband has a BA bag locator he was given few years ago when working abroad, and our TA has some sort of bag locator tags now that she will issue to us. Anything to give a bit of reassurance while travelling in the current climate . 
Have a wonderful cruise and safe travels . Jean 

• Like 1

I wish I had known about these tags before our last cruise 3 weeks ago, we have been home about 13 days and still have one suitcase missing which at this stage I guess we may never see again!

Oh well, lesson learned here, apparently there is a 1 in 250 chance you luggage will be lost, of course that has to be us!

In addition yes, London Heathrow was a nightmare, very long queues for security, took 90 minutes to get through, in addition I got Covid which I am convinced was either at the airport or on the plane home, my fault, I let my guard down and did not wear a mask, another lesson learned there.

Edited by fudge

17 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Bill:  

As one former Military Guy to another (I believe)--

Here is another coping mechanism for stress and strain when dealing with vagaries of life, and particularly the current, and it appears, ongoing COVID situation. Or, like having unattended luggage lying around at Heathrow.  Or, like, having three Regent cruises either from, or to, Tokyo canceled over the past two years. 

Hope springs eternal for a fourth try--September, 2023 Explorer, Vancouver to Tokyo.  

But, as usual, I digress.  

Advice given by one of my Seattle University Jesuit Instructors many, many years past.  When all else fails, 

Prayer and fasting.  

Take care.  

GOARMY

Jim

Jim, never discount the power of prayer...but fasting and I don't get along well.  Not at all.  🤣

I'd seen that cruise you mentioned but we're already booked for a Panama Canal run in '23 and the Middle East in early '24 and won't be able to squeeze in another one from both a time and budget perspective...

As always, we do what we can to deal with the uncertainties in life...we enjoy our trips and laugh at some of the hiccups along the way.  We try to never take things too seriously.  We're pretty healthy and happy, and you can't put a price on that, can you?

Maybe sometime in the near future we can sail together and have a cocktail or three - that is if you're okay imbibing with a mere Air Force vet.  🙂

Bill:  

I have deep respect for USAF.  Put my trust, and those in my Infantry Platoon, in our Air Force comrades-in-arms many-many years ago in a country far, far away.  CAS (Close Air Support) never failed us.  

Continued calm seas, and take care.

Jim 

2 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Can anyone comment on whether immigration/customs/security is involved when transiting thru LHR when final destination is Rome? We have about 2.5 hrs between flights.

thx

Security only, assuming you are on one ticket with bags checked through. Immigration/customs will be in Rome.

3 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Bill:  

I have deep respect for USAF.  Put my trust, and those in my Infantry Platoon, in our Air Force comrades-in-arms many-many years ago in a country far, far away.  CAS (Close Air Support) never failed us.  

Continued calm seas, and take care.

Jim 

I spent a few years in a Tac Control Squadrons and Air Support Operations Centers - provided CAS for our muddy brothers-in-green - was fortunate enough to never have them (or us) get shot at while I was there.

It’s not worth the worry, we’re traveling next week -PSP/DFW/LHR/BCN—-if we make all the changes great—is not their will be another flight.  Life is to short to worry about what you can’t change.

• Like 2

Heathrow security was a mess last week, but nothing compared to our experience arriving home in Houston. I have never seen such a Sea of Inhumanity at the International terminal E in my entire life. Trying to leave by car was probably the worst travel experience I have ever encountered, and I have spent nights in airports, missed connections, traveled standby etc.

The Administrator at the Security line at Heathrow asked us all to complain about the lack of personnel. He said that they had laid off people due to Covid and never rehired. Not sure how we are supposed to complain, although I did make those comments on the United Survey that I was given.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

Those that are using these in upcoming travel, it would be great to hear of any experience with them.

Used an Apple Air Tag yesterday at Dublin airport. Said suitcase was 28 ft. away, which it was!

• Like 3