Blenders allowed?

vicky3vicky

As a British cruiser I'm fine with no kettle in my room but when cruise lines put kettles in rooms leaving the UK some brits see it as a massive thing. P&O Uk and Oz do it for all cruisers too.

Almost every hotel room in England has a kettle. A lot of us get the shakes if we don't get tea within 10 mins of waking up. 😆

9 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Yes, and when ships for the UK and European markets are being ordered by cruise lines they include the higher costs to cover the specs for electrical outlets to power kettles safely. Cruise lines save money on their builds for the North American market because cabin kettles are not the custom. 

Not really.  Most of the electric kettles you see on the ships are 220v UK/European models, so the current draw on them is halved over a 110v kettle, and the current ratings for the 110v and 220v circuits are the same, so having a kettle operating at the same time in every cabin is not a problem on the 220v circuit.  The major reason they are not placed on most ships is that: 1.  North American cruisers don't use them, so they are wasted money, and 2.  the amount of man-hours required to routinely take these out of service for testing and inspection and then rotating back into service is just not worth any added passenger convenience.  The testing and inspections are called for by the insurance underwriters, due to known failures of the "auto-off" switches causing meltdowns.  Ships where they have kettles in every cabin have higher insurance costs, and higher crew costs.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

As a British cruiser I'm fine with no kettle in my room but when cruise lines put kettles in rooms leaving the UK some brits see it as a massive thing. P&O Uk and Oz do it for all cruisers too.

Almost every hotel room in England has a kettle. A lot of us get the shakes if we don't get tea within 10 mins of waking up. 😆

Spent 21 days on the P%O Arcadia, don't remember kettles but we are not tea drinkers  and wouldn't notice them.  We need something strong in the morning and tea is just weak and tasteless to me.

I do remember the Arcadia having the worst food and worst selection of food of any cruise we have ever been on.

Edited by M&A

5 hours ago, M&A said:

Spent 21 days on the P%O Arcadia, don't remember kettles but we are not tea drinkers  and wouldn't notice them.  We need something strong in the morning and tea is just weak and tasteless to me.

I do remember the Arcadia having the worst food and worst selection of food of any cruise we have ever been on.

Someone needs to make you a proper cuppa. Tea also contains more caffeine per mg. 

I'm not familiar with UK P&O (older market) but enjoyed sailing on their Aussie sister line.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, vicky3vicky said:

I would like to bring a blender so I can make my smoothies in the morning. I couldn't find it on the prohibited list so should I bring it?

Don't take it.  Someone just posted on John Heald's FB page that they took a blender because it wasn't SPECIFICALLY mentioned on the prohibited list.  It got confiscated.  As John said, they can't list everything.  Do not try and take any household kitchen appliance!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 4:17 AM, bguppies said:

Probably not on the list because 99.99% of people wouldn't even think of taking a blender on a cruise.

(kind of like how Carnival had to add hair dryers and curling irons to the list years ago, because of people bringing those onboard. I'm sure after they confiscate enough blenders, they will get added tp the list.)

I guess as long as you are willing to have it confiscated or lose it, give it a try.

Those must be some great smoothies. Good luck.

No - hair dryers & curling irons aren't listed on the prohibited list.  You can absolutely take them.  Just be careful as I have heard many of the ceramic curling irons don't work.

On 7/14/2022 at 7:34 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I have seen folk carry electric fans into the cruise terminal building, but honestly don't know if security allowed them on to the ship.  (Ironically for an Alaska cruise)

Fans smaller than 12" are allowed.

5 hours ago, TerReuv said:

Don't take it.  Someone just posted on John Heald's FB page that they took a blender because it wasn't SPECIFICALLY mentioned on the prohibited list.  It got confiscated.  As John said, they can't list everything.  Do not try and take any household kitchen appliance!

At least some posts on his page aren't real.  I posted a response on Cruise Critic to something someone else posted.  A bit of the OP was combined with my comment and was then posted on his page not long after.  The post on his page was mostly my comment.  I didn't post on his page.  Someone made that post up to get a rise out of people.  It worked.

I stopped reading his response posts after that.  I only rarely go to his page now to see what he has been told he could say about any potential change/new policy that gets talked about here.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 2

This question for posted on John Heald's FB page.

John Heald 
Name: N——
Message: I know you are flying to Miami and probably won’t see this message. I’m very upset and angry. Nowhere on the prohibited list that you guys have on your website does it say I cannot bring a blender. Yet here I am being scolded like a child by Carnival security. I’m told it is confiscated. It’s not on your prohibited list. All I wanted to do was make a smoothie in the morning as it’s virtually impossible to eat healthy at breakfast on cruises. This is not my first rodeo. You need to better inform your passengers so they don’t end up in the naughty room
—————
So first of all let me apologise. This gentleman is correct, it isn’t on the list because honestly I think it’s because we never thought somebody would want to bring a blender. Anyway, I will update it and I think we should also say that I think it is possible to eat healthy at breakfast.  
Anyway, I’m sharing this just in case anybody else is thinking of having a dollop of blending during their cruise and also to ask you this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 12:25 AM, slavigne5577 said:

This blender looks like maybe you could get away with taking Screenshot_20220713-232308_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9f9651f31dee19001471ccaaf4ffe10e.jpg

I saw this thread and actually came here to recommend this. I have one, it works great and is USB charged. I'd highly doubt this gets caught, it looks like a water bottle.

6 hours ago, matymil said:

Some people are acting like the OP is asking to if they can bring a handgun on board or something. Its not that serious. I was really into juicing for awhile i took mine everywhere.

Thing is, it is well known Carnival likes to make (new) rules but don't enforce them.  At your own risk almost always seems to be the best answer.

• Like 1