Should I try NCL?

jbrinkm

I'm looking at a Spring Break cruise for next year with my husband and my 2 teens. Our last three cruises (the only ones we've done with the kids) have been on Royal Caribbean, and we've been happy, but the prices are SO HIGH for April 2023. I started looking around at some other options and found a really fabulous itinerary on Breakaway. Prices seem lower on NCL, or at least you get more for the same price.

Anyone else switched from RCCL? Thoughts/comparisons? Also thoughts on Breakaway for teens? Seems like there is plenty to do!

• Like 1

Bottom Line: The cruise lines are the same. Middle of the road cruises that meet the needs of most contemporary cruiser.

If you are someone who thrives on comparing minute details, then don't change lines. 

If you are looking for a decent cruise for a lower prince, then give NCL a try. Take the free beverage package. Enjoy. The Breakaway holds about 4000 passengers double-occupancy. So, that is about the size of a quantum class ship.

We'll be on the Breakaway for the 6th time in a few weeks. And we're Dimond members on Royal and NCL,,, so we sail on both lines equally. 

There is another thread asking the same question 

• Like 4

NCL.......The Days Inn on the seas.  Just a step up from Motel 6.  You get what you pay for.   NCL, number five on a poll of big ships.   Plus RCL captains rarely hit icebergs or run aground on a sand bars.  But you get compensation with NCL for your next cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Plus RCL captains rarely hit icebergs or run aground on a sand bars

hard to do that when your ships don't move because of Azipod or engine issues.  OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but RCL seems to have more than their share of engine (recent Quantum issues) and Azipod (Oasis and her sisters) issues in comparison.  The point is that these are machines run by humans, stuff happens.

2 hours ago, pickle11 said:

NCL.......The Days Inn on the seas.

and Royal is SOO much better?  I've sailed both, there's not that much of a difference.  I've commented in the other threads asking the same question - I really felt the NCL entertainment and bar staff REALLY enjoyed their jobs and interacting with the passengers, I didn't get that on my Royal trips.

If someone wants something other than "The Days Inn on the seas" they need to look at Celebrity, Princess, Oceania, HAL or Regent.

• Like 3

You won't find any good pricing on NCL for 2023 in April .... it is not very good.  I usually sail spring break I April with my two teens. You're looking at about $4000 or more for 4 with a balcony on NCL. However, I did book an angled balcony for a week for 4 on the brand new to come MSC Seascape out of Miami for April 2nd for $2500. 

Edited by tallnthensome

it's like asking someone, should i buy a ford or a chevy (assuming you cant afford a lexus, or a mercedes)

we've sailed ncl for the past 12 years. while we've been plagued with assorted minor frustrations, by and large, im usually satisfied with the overall ncl experience. we've taken our grandson (who is now 23) on numerous ncl cruises since he was 12. we've also brought along one of his friends on a few other cruises.

ive checked royal carribbean ( im not crazy about the number of people their ships carry) celebrity, and i find generally, for the average cabin, or even a suite, ncl's are bigger. i looked at a jr suite on rccland sq footage wise it was about the same as the club balcony on an ncl ship.

if  youre traveling on spring break, youre bound to find a bunch of families sailing, regardless f which line you choose. whenever, we took or grandson, he met other teens and had a marvelous time. we hardly ever saw him during t he cruise, except for excursions, and teppanyaki dinner,

the best advice i can give you and total we've been on over 25 cruises, decide where you want to go, how much you want to spend, and what type of cabin will fit your needs (i suggest the 2 bedroom suite offered by ncl if it's in your budget). then decide which cruise line meets these needs.

i always say, regardless of it's faults, ncl always gives me the best bang for my buck. it takes me to places i want to see, at prices of which i am comfortable paying.

in any event, whichever you choose, bon voyage, and i hope you and your family have a great cruise!

4 hours ago, pickle11 said:

NCL.......The Days Inn on the seas.  Just a step up from Motel 6.  You get what you pay for.   NCL, number five on a poll of big ships.   Plus RCL captains rarely hit icebergs or run aground on a sand bars.  But you get compensation with NCL for your next cruise.

this brought back memories of a snob in my family that said NCL was the greyhound of cruises and when i asked him when his last cruise was, he literally told me was back in 1984. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Royal has never tried to recover from the pandemic. We were on our fourth Royal post-restart cruise last month on the Quantum and the entertainment was pathetic. It was the first cruise that had some entertainment. On our 3 prior cruises, could print the entire entertainment schedule on a business card. Our Quantum cruise was pre-engine fire and removal of the visits to the glacier and reduced cruises port calls because the ship is limping along without sufficient power.

We were on the brand new, flagship Wonder of the Seas in April and after every show, the Cruise Director came out and apologized for the poor show citing supply chain and poor preparation. 

And Royal captains don’t even try to get close to the glaciers. Last month in clear water, we stopped about 8 miles out. And after being on deck from 5 am, this is all we saw. 
3B020FD1-73BE-46BB-85D3-BF7AE7861C5F.thumb.jpeg.bb3eccdfcd4da4a98a9078968fe3b541.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm looking at a Spring Break cruise for next year with my husband and my 2 teens. Our last three cruises (the only ones we've done with the kids) have been on Royal Caribbean, and we've been happy, but the prices are SO HIGH for April 2023. I started looking around at some other options and found a really fabulous itinerary on Breakaway. Prices seem lower on NCL, or at least you get more for the same price.

Anyone else switched from RCCL? Thoughts/comparisons? Also thoughts on Breakaway for teens? Seems like there is plenty to do!

We switched from RCCL to NCL years ago. 

The teens will love the activities NCL has to offer. Teen Club as well as activities just for them. We love NCL. Enjoy. Give it a try.

5 hours ago, pickle11 said:

All cruise companies have their accidents... no one is immune. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/27/royal-caribbean-ship-collision-due-pilot-error

For the original poster, if the price is in your budget and you like the itinerary, go for it. There will be plenty to do for everyone in the family. For the most part it will be a very similar experience to what you're used to when you sail RCC.

I think each cruise line has different things to offer. So, I would say go ahead and give NCL a try. 

With that said, if you purchase the drink package, there will be some differences between the two lines. One, NCL charges you 18% gratuity on the package, whereas RCL has it included in the price (even when included in the booking). Second, the base NCL drink package doesn't include specialty coffees or "bottled" water.

Just mentioning that so you are comparing properly. I just did two NCL cruises and had a great time, even though my preferred line is Celebrity.

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

I think each cruise line has different things to offer. So, I would say go ahead and give NCL a try. 

With that said, if you purchase the drink package, there will be some differences between the two lines. One, NCL charges you 18% gratuity on the package, whereas RCL has it included in the price (even when included in the booking). Second, the base NCL drink package doesn't include specialty coffees or "bottled" water.

Just mentioning that so you are comparing properly. I just did two NCL cruises and had a great time, even though my preferred line is Celebrity.

I don’t think anyone purchases the drink package on NCL but pay the $20 a day gratuity which is much cheaper than paying for RCL’s package.

• Like 1

You're right about Royal's drink package pricing. We have 3 cruises booked. One with NCL, one with MSC, and one with Celebrity. They're all cheaper than Royal if you add their drink package, and all 3 include drink packages.

NCL was always out "go-to" cruise line until they began offering their "Free at Sea" package.  We are non-drinkers and get 2 free specialty meals because of our platinum status.  You are lead to believe if you decline the dining & drinks you are somehow "saving money" due to not having to pay the gratuities. You're not.  We now have to book a "sail away/guarantee" cabin to avoid the hidden increase.  Since the restart we have sailed Carnival twice and Holland once plus have two upcoming Carnival cruises.  In all cases we were able to pick our cabin without having to buy a drink package.  We do have an upcoming NCL cruise but only to use up a FCC due to our last January Getaway trip getting cancelled. We also just learned NCL is no longer giving latitude members free internet only a discount. 😡

Too bad, we really liked them.  Our situation is a bit unique so I would still recommend them to others. 

18 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

You don't have to book sailaway cabin . We always book balcony and decline beverage package which saves approx. $300. 

us too we have never taken the beverage or dinner package and we do just fine. We usually have onboard credit and we pay for our drinks when we want to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spanishguy1970 said:

us too we have never taken the beverage or dinner package and we do just fine. We usually have onboard credit and we pay for our drinks when we want to.

Agree. We also don't take specialty dinners(2) because we get 2 anyways being platinum.

• Like 2

Next years prices are considerably higher.  Once everything is back to whatever normal will be expect prices for cruises to jump 30% minimum.   Right now the industry is getting everyone back onboard. then, just like airfare say goodbye to low fares.  So, grab what you can afford to pay, this is it for a while. prices are not coming back down.  

• Like 2

I've been on both several times and consider them very similar. Go for the itinerary and price. You will be happy. Don't listen to the naysayers. Some people are cheerleaders for their favorite line (where they have a high status.)  I have top status on NCL and MSC and am almost Diamond on RCL (so I have a bit of experience and am not hard to please.) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pickle11 said:

But they do drive into hurricanes 😎

• Like 2