Dress Code Question --- and Ducking

ScottC4746

I know asking this is going to open pandora's box as it is a very heated discussion but hear me out.  I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder, so I am serious asking this for a reason.

Evening Chic for men is pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt button down shirt or sweater with optional sports coat or blazer.

I do not own designer jeans nor sports coat or blazer and have no opportunity to wear them on land.  I take this to men for me then slacks and dress shirt or slacks and button up sports shirts that button all the way and tucked in.

The other nights are for men pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt I take that to mean nice clean blue Levi's with no holes rips or stains and short sleeve sports shirts.

Am I correct on this?  Hopefully it means no having to go buy new clothes.

You don't have to buy new clothes.  You'll see everything from tuxedo's to shorts being worn anymore.  You'll be fine with whatever you wear.  Just no ripped ragged jeans or unsavory graphic tanks or tees.  

Here's a link to another thread regarding attire:  

Edited by Surfguyxxx

1 minute ago, Surfguyxxx said:

You don't have to buy new clothes.  You'll see everything from tuxedo's to shorts being worn anymore.  You'll be fine with whatever you wear.  Just no ripped ragged jeans or unsavory graphic tanks or tees.  

At 57 those are not in my wardrobe.

• Haha 2

These days on most cruise lines, shirts with collars (even polo shirts), tucked in or not,  and non-ripped pants will find you in the majority, even on formal or chic nights. It is true that generally, shorts are mildly discouraged at night for dinner, especially on formal nights, but it is unlikely that you would not be allowed and probably nothing would be said.

Ignore those lovely pictures of beautiful people all dressed up, also all skinny and elegant, as those are the cruise lines fantasy of what they imagine it will be like. 

• Haha 1

We did a short hop Los Angeles to Ensenada in 2005 on RCCL either a 3 or 4 nighter.  Of course that tends to be the booze cruise crowd.  We had tshirts and shorts and flip flops in the MDR for dinner.

I guess it all comes down to:

1. What line

2. How many nights

3. What destinations

4. What time of year

We did a RCCL in 2005 to Mexican Riviera 7 nights and people did formal nights then, however as soon as dinner was over they rushed to their staterooms to change out of that to jeans and polos.  So much for formal night.

This is one of the things I enjoy about Celebrity. their ‘special’ dress night isnt. Slacks and collared shirt is just fine. What you, OP, described is perfect.

I did love your ‘at 57’ what you dont have in your wardrobe is a home run on my side. I dont look around at what others are wearing to judge, just to enjoy, and assume adult men are able to put on slacks (or pants that pass as such) and a collared shirt for 1 or 2 evenings. And there are alternative dining for those that wont. 

Just so the OP knows, yes there are some who dress up more, but they do that not to show off (well, no idea what is other’s minds really) or are ‘looking’ at others, but because they enjoy dressing up more than slacks/shirt. I’m one of them. I’ll add a blazer and I add a bow tie to get that ‘look’, not from others, but from my wife. One cruise, I two gentlemen walked in with tuxedoes that were Home Runs! Talioring and colors were fantastic, they were just fantastic. That evening I was wearing slacks and long sleeve shirt and just admired their look and didnt feel funny at all. Loved it. 

So just enjoy. Dress to meet what I’d describe as a minimum wear going to a nice restaurant. 

Den

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

I know asking this is going to open pandora's box as it is a very heated discussion but hear me out.  I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder, so I am serious asking this for a reason.

Evening Chic for men is pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt button down shirt or sweater with optional sports coat or blazer.

I do not own designer jeans nor sports coat or blazer and have no opportunity to wear them on land.  I take this to men for me then slacks and dress shirt or slacks and button up sports shirts that button all the way and tucked in.

The other nights are for men pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt I take that to mean nice clean blue Levi's with no holes rips or stains and short sleeve sports shirts.

Am I correct on this?  Hopefully it means no having to go buy new clothes.

Quack Quack Quack😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

This is one of the things I enjoy about Celebrity. their ‘special’ dress night isnt. Slacks and collared shirt is just fine. What you, OP, described is perfect.

I did love your ‘at 57’ what you dont have in your wardrobe is a home run on my side. I dont look around at what others are wearing to judge, just to enjoy, and assume adult men are able to put on slacks (or pants that pass as such) and a collared shirt for 1 or 2 evenings. And there are alternative dining for those that wont. 

Just so the OP knows, yes there are some who dress up more, but they do that not to show off (well, no idea what is other’s minds really) or are ‘looking’ at others, but because they enjoy dressing up more than slacks/shirt. I’m one of them. I’ll add a blazer and I add a bow tie to get that ‘look’, not from others, but from my wife. One cruise, I two gentlemen walked in with tuxedoes that were Home Runs! Talioring and colors were fantastic, they were just fantastic. That evening I was wearing slacks and long sleeve shirt and just admired their look and didnt feel funny at all. Loved it. 

So just enjoy. Dress to meet what I’d describe as a minimum wear going to a nice restaurant. 

Den

This too drew me to Celebrity.  I have been an officer with the local Elks Lodge for 6 years having to wear a suit 3 meeting nights a month and a tuxedo 1 meeting night a month.  I'm looking forward to looking sharp without spending the afternoon getting ready for dinner.

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

These days on most cruise lines, shirts with collars (even polo shirts), tucked in or not,  and non-ripped pants will find you in the majority, even on formal or chic nights. It is true that generally, shorts are mildly discouraged at night for dinner, especially on formal nights, but it is unlikely that you would not be allowed and probably nothing would be said.

Ignore those lovely pictures of beautiful people all dressed up, also all skinny and elegant, as those are the cruise lines fantasy of what they imagine it will be like. 

You will get called on your attire in Luminae and the MDR for dinner - in a nice way. The flip side is that shorts and tees are very acceptable at breakfast, especially on port days before people head out. The shoe thing is not really enforced. And you will see all sorts of attire even on chic night because you don’t really know where people are headed.

Also Caribbean are least dressy, followed by Alaska in my experience. The more non-Americans on board, the dressier, and the more sea days the dressier. In general, my DH is very picky and brings his tux if there aren’t too many ports, so we are down on the over dressed end

I am still thinking of my tux for the Eq in October. I bought it in 2019 and the 4 cruises we had planned to wear it on all got cancelled.

As I get older, I just don't want the only time my tux gets used is if it is just for a viewing...

Edited by mayleeman

1 hour ago, Veinless said:

Kirkland is my designer. 

Mine too with some Amazon Essentials thrown in. Since I retired all, I own are nice golf shirts, golf shorts and long pants which I wear for diner in Luminae. For Chic nights its comfortable long golf pants, and a button up Hawaiian shirt for me, that is as much as I dress up at home and it's just fine for dinners on a cruise ship.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

We did a RCCL in 2005 to Mexican Riviera 7 nights and people did formal nights then, however as soon as dinner was over they rushed to their staterooms to change out of that to jeans and polos.  So much for formal night.

Been there, done that…DH would wear suit and tie as would DS and I would have my cocktail ensemble with high heeled shoes…Post dinner it was a rush to the room for DS to get rid of his tie, DH to get rid of his jacket and me to get rid of the heels!

We still dress smartly for dinner, but nice to be comfortable too!

On my last Celebrity cruise, for the "formal" nights, I just did a button down shirt and a pair of khakis. For the other nights, I subbed the button down for a polo.

During the day, it's pretty much anything goes. My last cruise (not on Celebrity) I was pretty much in a bathing suit all day. I put on a pair of gym pants and a t-shirt when I went to eat.