Bringing wine and bottled water onboard at embarkation

mahi mahi

It's been a few years since we cruised with Princess and those were in Europe.  I have searched the website but can't find the answer.

Does Princess allow passengers to bring a couple bottles of wine onboard along with some bottled water at the embarkation port?

5 minutes ago, mahi mahi said:

It's been a few years since we cruised with Princess and those were in Europe.  I have searched the website but can't find the answer.

Does Princess allow passengers to bring a couple bottles of wine onboard along with some bottled water at the embarkation port?

The rules for wine are the same as always, only the corkage fee has increased to $20. Each adult in a cabin can bring on one bottle free of charge and those bottles remain free as long as they are consumed in the cabin. If brought to a restaurant or lounge they are subject to the $20 corkage fee. All other bottles in excess of the initial free ones are charged a $20 corkage fee at the time of boarding. Those bottles will get a stamp affixed to them so that the crew knows that they have already been paid for. So if 2 adults bring on 10 bottles, they would pay for 8 ($160) upon boarding, charged to their stateroom account. They would identify which 8 should get stamped and which 2 would not. If the 2 without stamps remain in the cabin, no further fee is assessed. If the 2 unstamped bottles are brought out of the cabin, upon inspection the crew will see no stamp and will have you sign for the fee. 

That is how the system works as established and I have been on cruises where it worked like that 100% of the time on board. But there have been many reports, and I myself have experienced this, where there is no wine stamping/fee collection table set up at boarding. When this happens you carry your wine on board and you may or may not encounter the collection of the corkage fee once on board.  Certainly if the bottles stay in your cabin you will not. But if you bring them to a dining room, the servers are charging the corkage fee fairly regularly. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mahi mahi said:

Wine yes---a noted in above posts.

Bottled water - No. You can bring a 12 pack of canned water (if you can find it) or soda per person at embarkation. You can also pre-purchase 12 packs of water from Princess for a fairly reasonable price delivered to your stateroom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

You can also pre-purchase 12 packs of water from Princess for a fairly reasonable price delivered to your stateroom.

Also, bottled water is included in both the "Plus" and "Premier" Packages that you can add on to your base fare.

8 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Also, bottled water is included in both the "Plus" and "Premier" Packages that you can add on to your base fare.

4 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The price for ordering a 12-pack of bottle water (half liter each) is $7.08.

So the bottom line is that there really is no good reason to pack and carry bottled water on to the ship. Unless you have a specific brand of water that is your favorite, which is probably fodder for another topic entirely!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

So the bottom line is that there really is no good reason to pack and carry bottled water on to the ship. Unless you have a specific brand of water that is your favorite, which is probably fodder for another topic entirely!  

Right. I get two bottles in my minibar. I refill them with tap water. I take a large reusable water bottle with me for taking ashore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

But there have been many reports, and I myself have experienced this, where there is no wine stamping/fee collection table set up at boarding. When this happens you carry your wine on board and you may or may not encounter the collection of the corkage fee once on board.  Certainly if the bottles stay in your cabin you will not. But if you bring them to a dining room, the servers are charging the corkage fee fairly regularly. 

Leave the "free" bottles in your cabin and pour the contents into a suitable container: thermos, water pitcher, wine glass...tennis shoe.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Leave the "free" bottles in your cabin and pour the contents into a suitable container: thermos, water pitcher, wine glass...tennis shoe.

My preferred vessel is a red colored sports drink bottle.  Dead ringer for Pinot Noir from a distance. Safe around the pool. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4f66959e8ff507af072d438e47c621dc.jpeg

• Haha 2

Thanks everyone!  I figured they might allow one bottle of wine each but the canned water is a revelation 🙂

Thanks for the heads up!  Doubt the Safeway store near our hotel stocks canned water....don't believe I have ever seen it in a supermarket!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Hawaiian Airlines has teamed up with Jason Momoa to serve/for purchase water in cans.

https://www.mananalu.com

Amazon also has a selection.  

I was okay with drinking water from the tap until I saw the "residue" in the bathtub.  

Is it the same water from the tap as what they serve you in dining rooms and buffet? I drink TONS of water and there's not way the little 12 pack would last me more than a day and a half. Was thinking about buying Momoa's water.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:14 PM, dreaminofcruisin said:

Wine yes---a noted in above posts.

Bottled water - No. You can bring a 12 pack of canned water (if you can find it) or soda per person at embarkation. You can also pre-purchase 12 packs of water from Princess for a fairly reasonable price delivered to your stateroom.

I thought I read that about soda, but I can't find it on the Princess site.  Did you find it there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I thought I read that about soda, but I can't find it on the Princess site.  Did you find it there?

From the Passage Contract:

Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, amajaa said:

We carry our own refillable water bottles on board with us that we have for the journey down. Are you saying that isn't really allowed. It has never been queried. 

Not a issue.  Princess are trying to discourage people bringing on packs of non-reusable plastic bottles.

3 hours ago, Billish said:

Not a issue.  Princess are trying to discourage people bringing on packs of non-reusable plastic bottles.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I was surprised we had plastic bottles of water in the Elite Mini bar. Although the fizzy water was glass bottles. Likewise 6 of the spirit bottles were plastic and only 2 (the brandy) were glass. Perhaps they are finishing up old stock.

4 hours ago, Billish said:

It more like they want to eliminate people from refilling the bottles with liquor. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Is that still a thing with so many buying drink packages with Princess Plus?  I guess so.
Funny thing is, if you purchase the 12 bottle water package pre-cruise, the water is in plastic bottles...So much for trying to discourage plastic bottles.  LOL

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, mahi mahi said:

Thanks everyone!  I figured they might allow one bottle of wine each but the canned water is a revelation 🙂

Thanks for the heads up!  Doubt the Safeway store near our hotel stocks canned water....don't believe I have ever seen it in a supermarket!!!

I wonder how Princess follows that demand for canned water...the bottled water on the ship in April was still in plastic.

They aren't practicing what they preach.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 11:04 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I was okay with drinking water from the tap until I saw the "residue" in the bathtub.  

That is more likely from the sides of the tub itself...or from whoever was in there last.

• Like 2