Serious Question.. Entering Vancouver with a DUI.

Hopefully a CBSA officer will respond.  We are with a small group boarding Quantum in OCT. sailing Vancouver to Honolulu. Someone in our group has a DUI from 2015.  Talking with them last night they claim to have had no knowledge that is was a reason for denial of entry into Canada.  Will anyone with actual experience with this problem please respond as to their probability of being denied entry. I know you can apply for a TRP but we are within two months and final payment has been made.  It seems a TRP can take up to 4 months.  Need to hear the reality of the situation and not rules and regulations from a booklet. thanks. Also thankfully this person is not a family member. 

Edited by taglovestocruise

18 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Back to the top. Need a CBSA agent to help out.

Then you really should call CBSA.

Since the sailing starts in Vancouver there is an extremely high probability that they will be denied entry into Canada.

Where it gets murkier is when it is for a port stop in Victoria

• Like 7

You were part of the thread cited above.  Based on the other thread (your response) the person in your group will likely be denied boarding on a flight to Vancouver.  Maybe if they drive the border agents won't detect it, maybe not, depending on if their passport is flagged.

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Then you really should call CBSA.

Since the sailing starts in Vancouver there is an extremely high probability that they will be denied entry into Canada.

Where it gets murkier is when it is for a port stop in Victoria

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along.  They purchased no insurance, non refundable air and final payment was last week. Little chance his wife would go alone. 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along.  They purchased no insurance, non refundable air and final payment was last week. Little chance his wife would go alone. 

That stinks! He should just try to get the TRP at this point what’s he got to lose?

17 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Hopefully a CBSA officer will respond.  We are with a small group boarding Quantum in OCT. sailing Vancouver to Honolulu. Someone in our group has a DUI from 2015.  Talking with them last night they claim to have had no knowledge that is was a reason for denial of entry into Canada.  Will anyone with actual experience with this problem please respond as to their probability of being denied entry. I know you can apply for a TRP but we are within two months and final payment has been made.  It seems a TRP can take up to 4 months.  Need to hear the reality of the situation and not rules and regulations from a booklet. thanks. Also thankfully this person is not a family member. 

You seem to be asking if the person in your group really needs to comply with the rules and regulations.

And you are requesting a response from a Canadian government official who's career is enforcing such rules and regulations. 

And further, you want the CBSA officer to respond on a public forum.

Good luck with that... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Based on 2 anecdotes I've heard from people I know, if they're going to enter Canada by air or by land, and they have to show a passport, they will be denied entry 100% of the time. 

Since the cruise in non-refundable, and they didn't buy insurance, they may as well try and see what happens, but they should go with the expectation that their wife will be going without him, and that he'll get his port fees and taxes back once he doesn't check into the cruise. 

Is there any insurance policy they can buy this late in the game that will pay them for trip interruption? And does trip interruption include being denied access to the flight that gets you to your cruise? 🤔 I'm not sure on that one but it might be worth looking into. 

I went on a cruise in 2009 with someone who had a DUI (not sure how long ago it had been but I think perhaps around 5-10 years prior.)  The cruise went from LA to Vancouver.  We also went through CBP on a bike trip during the cruise. No issues. We did not know about this at at the time!

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

And does trip interruption include being denied access to the flight that gets you to your cruise?

I doubt there is any policy that would cover a known situation.

The only policy that would have covered it would have been one that included CFAR which is too late to purchase now.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

11 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Based on 2 anecdotes I've heard from people I know, if they're going to enter Canada by air or by land, and they have to show a passport, they will be denied entry 100% of the time. 

Since the cruise in non-refundable, and they didn't buy insurance, they may as well try and see what happens, but they should go with the expectation that their wife will be going without him, and that he'll get his port fees and taxes back once he doesn't check into the cruise. 

Is there any insurance policy they can buy this late in the game that will pay them for trip interruption? And does trip interruption include being denied access to the flight that gets you to your cruise? 🤔 I'm not sure on that one but it might be worth looking into. 

If they need to try to get out of the cruise, with no insurance, they might try to claim they have covid symptoms- which most cruise lines still consider a no-go, and will allow a future cruise credit.

42 minutes ago, imobannon said:

If they need to try to get out of the cruise, with no insurance, they might try to claim they have covid symptoms- which most cruise lines still consider a no-go, and will allow a future cruise credit.

Or just try to contract covid for real, like we used to do with chicken pox before there was a vaccine for that 😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, imobannon said:

You would have to produce evidence of a positive test. And the cruise line would scrutinize and verify the report with the testing agency prior to issuing a credit. And the cruise line would prosecute fraudulent claims. 

I will share my personal experience, even though it is a bit dated now.  But as far as I know, the rules have not changed.

I had a DUI in 2005.  In 2010, I flew into Vancouver from the US to attend a work event.   I was not aware of Canada's rules at the time.  My US Passport was flagged as I was processed upon arrival.  I was asked to step into a side room.  There were at least 50 people in the room with me in a line.  We were being processed further by Canadian Border officials.  It was a very slow process.  It took over 2 hours for me to reach the front of the line.  The agent then asked me many questions before finally asking if I had a DUI on my record.  I did not lie in my response to any of the questions.  The agent probed me for all the details of the DUI (describe exactly what happened and how it was resolved in the US court system).  The agent also probed the details of why I was coming into Canada and what I would be doing there and for how long.  She asked to see written details of my business trip that I had with me.  Finally, after about 20 minutes of questioning, she indicated she MIGHT be able to let me enter on a Temporary Resident Permit since I appeared to be coming for a work event and didn't seem like I would a risk to other people while in the country.  But she had to get it approved by her management (not guaranteed) and it would take a while to process.  It also would cost me $200.  After another 15 minutes or more, she got it approved and processed.  It was a document that was stapled into my passport and was only valid for the duration of my business trip.  It was not a guarantee of any future re-entry into Canada.

Most of the people in that room were being processed for the same thing.  Not all of them were offered the Permit.  It was possible to hear some of the conversation between agent and travelers taking place in the room.  I heard some being told they would be put on the next plane back to the US at the traveler's expense.  I never saw anyone taken off to jail or similar.

I too would like to take an Alaskan cruise, but the process to resolve this issue with Canadian border control is not an easy one.  So far, I have chosen not to attempt it.  I also don't believe that just because some people are let in with no challenges that this means every one will be.  It is very much a judgement call made by a border control person -- just as similar issues are made by US border control personnel every day.  

Roll the dice.  You may win.  You may lose.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You would have to produce evidence of a positive test. And the cruise line would scrutinize and verify the report with the testing agency prior to issuing a credit. And the cruise line would prosecute fraudulent claims. 

Posts on here suggest Royal has refunded without medical verification.   One within the past few months had a child (as I recall) with noro like symptoms just prior to the cruise and they reported they got a full refund (not a fcc) without any documentation.  I personally know someone who canceled due to Covid without any verification and got a full refund.   Seems they can be pretty liberal on their policy depending on the agent you are working with.  

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

Form personal experience. I sailed with 8 couples. 2 of the people in the group had previous DUI's all with 10 YEARS passed, previous to 2018 (Canada is very specific with the 2018 date). (10+ years is key)

We sailed Alaska 2 times with 1 stop in Canada. (left from Seattle) Had no issues both times. (Excursion in Yukon where our passport were checked) Also had no issues getting off boat when we docked in Victoria (and it seemed like CA was very lax when it came to weed, because 1/4 of the ppl in port were smoking..LOL)

I wonder how different it would be leaving from Canada.

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Out of the half dozen clients that I have had to cancel at the last minute because of Covid I have been asked once to provide proof.