Miami Intercontinental hotel questions

PATRLR

I've seen quite  a few folks recommending the Intercontinental in Miami.  So, I figured I'd ask some of you who experienced this hotel a couple questions.

First, my wife and I arrive Thursday evening for a Sunday cruise departure (NCL Encore).  So two full days to enjoy Miami.  We want a hotel with a decent pool to hang out at (resort like would be nice with a nearby bar to get drinks), easy walk to shopping restaurants and just general walking around for exercise.  I believe the IC meets our needs.  I think the Marriott would, but, it's under renovations through year end.  The JW Marriott Marquis also would be OK, but it's sold out on our dates. The Holiday Inn pool looks lacking, otherwise it might meet the bill.  YVE is nearby, but no pool.  Any others I should consider?

Now for the IC questions: 

1. I would like a room with a view of the port, I want to see our ship in the morning.  Do I book a Bay View or Ocean View?  Bay view is relatively cheap right now, so, I assume that's probably not what I want.
  2. Is the club decent here, particularly their breakfast?  Its about $60 more per night for the Ocean View Club, that $60 would probably be close to what I pay for a typical hotel breakfast for two
  3. On a related note, are there decent breakfast spots within walking distance so I can avoid the club level and/or buying the typical overpriced and underwhelming hotel breakfasts?  

Thanks in advance!

I had similar questions as well. We are staying in couple weeks and guess I’ll find out. We usually stay at Holiday inn POM but their pool is under renovation and not open. I’ve been told bayside marketplace is a short walk from intercontinental and has shopping food and entertainment. I like using Google maps which shows the general area 

On 7/17/2022 at 8:13 AM, PATRLR said:

I've seen quite  a few folks recommending the Intercontinental in Miami.  So, I figured I'd ask some of you who experienced this hotel a couple questions.

First, my wife and I arrive Thursday evening for a Sunday cruise departure (NCL Encore).  So two full days to enjoy Miami.  We want a hotel with a decent pool to hang out at (resort like would be nice with a nearby bar to get drinks), easy walk to shopping restaurants and just general walking around for exercise.  I believe the IC meets our needs.  I think the Marriott would, but, it's under renovations through year end.  The JW Marriott Marquis also would be OK, but it's sold out on our dates. The Holiday Inn pool looks lacking, otherwise it might meet the bill.  YVE is nearby, but no pool.  Any others I should consider?

Now for the IC questions: 

1. I would like a room with a view of the port, I want to see our ship in the morning.  Do I book a Bay View or Ocean View?  Bay view is relatively cheap right now, so, I assume that's probably not what I want.
  2. Is the club decent here, particularly their breakfast?  Its about $60 more per night for the Ocean View Club, that $60 would probably be close to what I pay for a typical hotel breakfast for two
  3. On a related note, are there decent breakfast spots within walking distance so I can avoid the club level and/or buying the typical overpriced and underwhelming hotel breakfasts?  

Thanks in advance!

We normally stay at the Marriott but as you stated, it’s under a major refurbishment through the end of the year. I called the Intercontinental before booking and was told that both the bay and ocean view overlook the port but the bay view is for the fourteenth floor and lower. Ocean view is floors fifteen and higher thus the higher price. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't used the pool- but the walking is great.  I travel solo and I walked over to the bayside area (it's super touristy like a south street seaport in NYC or inner harbor in Baltimore) but it has outdoor restaurants overlooking the water and frozen drinks that make me in a cruise mood!  

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve stayed at the intercontinental a few times and will be again the end of august. As far as breakfast, there is a Starbucks right in the hotel the location is great with bayside and other stores , markets to pick up pre cruise items. I go to cvs to take on my Diet Coke 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Tryingtocruise said:

Is there a charge for parking at the Intercontinental?  I have a ressie but I cringe everytime I see the rate and if it doesn't include parking I may look elsewhere.  Just staying one night before our cruise in Feb.

Thanks.

It looks like they charge $33.90 resort fee and $50 a night for parking.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, kenb said:

It looks like they charge $33.90 resort fee and $50 a night for parking.

Thanks.  I looked at our reservation again and it includes free parking.  I may still switch because I can stay at a Hilton near the airport for about $150 less.  It looks like it's a 15 min drive to the port from airport so I don't really see a downside.

It's been a few years since we stayed at the Intercontinental, but we had a very good stay.  The club was quite good with plenty of good selections for the evening happy hour and a very good breakfast.  The pool is VERY nice, and I hear the restaurant up there is excellent.  We weren't able to dine there because they closed it when a storm came through that evening.

However, we had a great night at the lobby bar!

• Thanks 1

I stayed in July.  Breakfast buffet was terrible and service was equally bad.  And even at opening, they did have plenty of staff but no one was paying attention at all.  I had a pier view room which was nice enough though in need of a redo because it's beaten up due to sheer volume of people.

The pool area is ok-nothing fancy but nice enough I guess, but pay attention when walking.   I almost tripped over some uneven concrete.  (It was cloudy so maybe that's why I think it wasn't all that fabulous. Also the whole area was packed.  TBH for the prices they charge, they could spend some money making the pool area look a little better.  JMHO).  I am Spire Elite so the resort fee was waived and my breakfast was included as one of my amenities but the food was pretty bad.  Nothing tasted fresh, the omelet was terrible and I couldn't wait to get out. The Starbucks is always very busy, wonder why.  (Breakfast is ridiculously expensive for what you get.  Close to 40 bucks PP IIRC).

I would stay there again but I prefer the JW Marriott Marquis that's a couple blocks away, or the Hotel Beaux Arts (top floors of the JWMM) or the Kimpton Epic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 3:51 AM, Soxfan04 said:

I had similar questions as well. We are staying in couple weeks and guess I’ll find out. We usually stay at Holiday inn POM but their pool is under renovation and not open. I’ve been told bayside marketplace is a short walk from intercontinental and has shopping food and entertainment. I like using Google maps which shows the general area 

We're considering staying at this Holiday Inn but not until April 2023. 

Thoughts anyone on this hotel please ??

There is definitely a CVS and a Walgreen’s (better stocked of the 2 when we were in the area this past April, but we usually prefer CVS) and a Whole Foods near the Intercontinental, but they are not in the direction of Bayside Marketplace. We were underwhelmed by Bayside.

• 10 months later...
18 minutes ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Are there any wine / liquor stores nearby the Intercontinental?  We can bring wine on board and are flying in.  So we don't want to pack wine bottles - lol.  Hoping to have a few to take with us on the cruise.

Depends on the quality you want

There is  a CVS / Whole Foods  close by

ABC liquor store  on 1st ave ?

Publix  at Brickell you can take the free trolley

Google  "wine stores" there are probably others

• Like 1

Stayed there many yaears ago. Wonderful hotel. The view is nice to wake up to. The only draw back to the view is you have to look across Dodge Island. Also stayed at the YVE, nice but is an old building with a small elevator. Bayside Marketplace is a short walk.

The Marriott Biscayne Bay has an unobstructed view of the port. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:00 PM, skrufy said:

Stayed there many yaears ago. Wonderful hotel. The view is nice to wake up to. The only draw back to the view is you have to look across Dodge Island. Also stayed at the YVE, nice but is an old building with a small elevator. Bayside Marketplace is a short walk.

The Marriott Biscayne Bay has an unobstructed view of the port. 

Thanks for the info!  We plan to hit Bayside Marketplace for sure.  That looks like fun!

On 7/28/2023 at 12:12 PM, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Are there any wine / liquor stores nearby the Intercontinental?  We can bring wine on board and are flying in.  So we don't want to pack wine bottles - lol.  Hoping to have a few to take with us on the cruise.

Total Wine is within walking distance and they have a decent wine selection with some nice wine.  There are some great places in Brickell if you want to go there 

Brickell Wine Bank is a great shop as  and A5 Liquors has a great wine selection.  Total Wine will also deliver. 

There is a wine shop in downtown however I have not personally shopped there and got the name from a friend. 

https://maisonmura.wine/collections/all

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Total Wine is within walking distance and they have a decent wine selection with some nice wine.  There are some great places in Brickell if you want to go there 

Brickell Wine Bank is a great shop as  and A5 Liquors has a great wine selection.  Total Wine will also deliver. 

There is a wine shop in downtown however I have not personally shopped there and got the name from a friend. 

Awesome.  Thank you!

19 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Thank you as well. 

If I were to book this hotel which avenue would you recommend I take to get the best rate, any help would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Thank you as well. 

If I were to book this hotel which avenue would you recommend I take to get the best rate, any help would be appreciated. 

We book Hampton Inn's on the Hilton website to get their member rates.

Try Hampton Inn Brickell or Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon (which is usually a bit less).