Luggage to cabin, cabin ready?

janroatan

22 minutes ago, janroatan said:

How soon after luggage drop off ( at port Ft. Lauderdale) are cabins ready,

luggage delivered?

It depends on the ship and the port for how soon the cabins are ready.

Usually our luggage was delivered around the same time as the muster drill (pre-Covid). Now...who knows?

We don't drop off our luggage anymore. A suitcase and 2 backpacks and we're good.

54 minutes ago, WYB! said:

After boarding, do ships specify an area onboard (A baggage drop off area) that you can leave your bags until room is ready?

In our pre-covid experience on one or two cruises when cabins weren't ready at check-in we received a note saying so and that luggage could be stored at the Crown Grill if I remember correctly.  We just took our carry-ons with us to the MDR for lunch as did many other passengers.  On our 2 cruises this year, one we boarded late and the cabins were available and on the other we boarded early and the cabins were available (but the ship was sailing with only 33% capacity). 

2 hours ago, WYB! said:

After boarding, do ships specify an area onboard (A baggage drop off area) that you can leave your bags until room is ready?

Our cabins were ready on the Crown as soon as we boarded at 11am.  We got a little head start because we are Elite.

2 hours ago, WYB! said:

There are porters available outside the terminal building who will take your luggage for transfer to the ship. Just make sure your bags are tagged.  As for hand luggage/carry ons- since that is where one keeps their more valuable items, I can't imagine leaving them anywhere outside of reach until I get to my cabin.

• Like 2

We've never had any problem leaving our luggage in the cabin as soon as we arrived, even when the cabin was being prepared. Just leave it there & go to lunch letting the crew member finish their job. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We've never had any problem leaving our luggage in the cabin as soon as we arrived, even when the cabin was being prepared. Just leave it there & go to lunch letting the crew member finish their job. 

15 hours ago, capriccio said:

In our pre-covid experience on one or two cruises when cabins weren't ready at check-in we received a note saying so and that luggage could be stored at the Crown Grill if I remember correctly. 

When we first experienced delayed cabin availability dropping luggage off in the cabin was not possible because the hallway doors were closed and locked and alarm sounded when trying to open them!  Just ask my DH. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, capriccio said:

When we first experienced delayed cabin availability dropping luggage off in the cabin was not possible because the hallway doors were closed and locked and alarm sounded when trying to open them!  Just ask my DH. 

We've also seen the hallway doors closed several times when cabins are not ready.  Doors were even closed if you were on a b2b.  Last time we just sat on deck 5 with our carryon, had a sandwich, watched the safety briefing on our phones and doors were opened about 1:00

20 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There's always a way to get to the cabin.

What about the people doing a B2B? They have to have access to their cabin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coo359a2 said:

We've also seen the hallway doors closed several times when cabins are not ready.  Doors were even closed if you were on a b2b.  Last time we just sat on deck 5 with our carryon, had a sandwich, watched the safety briefing on our phones and doors were opened about 1:00

So your saying that that people who were doing a B2B could not go to their cabins until everyone else had access? 

Just now, MissP22 said:

So your saying that that people who were doing a B2B could not go to their cabins until everyone else had access? 

Yes.  On our last b2b in March, all the doors were closed so we waited till they announced that the cabins were ready.  It was no big deal to us. If it was, would have checked with Guest Services to see if we could go to the cabin. Good time to have your lunch. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Yes.  On our last b2b in March, all the doors were closed so we waited till they announced that the cabins were ready.  It was no big deal to us. If it was, would have checked with Guest Services to see if we could go to the cabin. Good time to have your lunch. 

I always leave the ship to unload items in my car during a B2B and when allowed back on the ship I always go to my cabin to get rid of my carry on suitcase. 

Although I've never experienced a closed fire door, when and if I do, I'll simply open it & proceed to my cabin.

On what ship did they have the doors closed? The Enchanted in March had their doors open on our deck, except for the Covid cabin side when we boarded (early). 

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I always leave the ship to unload items in my car during a B2B and when allowed back on the ship I always go to my cabin to get rid of my carry on suitcase. 

Although I've never experienced a closed fire door, when and if I do, I'll simply open it & proceed to my cabin.

On what ship did they have the doors closed? The Enchanted in March had their doors open on our deck, except for the Covid cabin side when we boarded (early). 

We once were on the Emerald, and all pax (B2B also) had to stay off the ship until 1pm and unable to get to cabins until 3pm...security was making sure that no one entered. They were doing a deep clean for noro.

If you are capable, carry your luggage on with you, and you won't have to wonder when your suitcase will arrive. Full size suitcases can be placed on the x-ray machine.

You do not need to give them to the porters outside.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

We once were on the Emerald, and all pax (B2B also) had to stay off the ship until 1pm and unable to get to cabins until 3pm...security was making sure that no one entered. They were doing a deep clean for noro.

In that situation it's a little hard to get to you cabin anyhow. 

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

That happened to us on the Ruby in San Pedro (pre-Covid). The doors were closed and alarmed. We opened the door, alarm sounded and a crew member immediately popped out and told us we couldn't come in yet.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

58 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

That happened to us on the Ruby in San Pedro (pre-Covid). The doors were closed and alarmed. We opened the door, alarm sounded and a crew member immediately popped out and told us we couldn't come in yet.

The first time (summer 2018) that happened was on the Ruby Princess out of Seattle.  I don't remember where it was the second time.  We just took their word for it that cabins weren't available.  It wasn't a big deal since it was already noon so we just brought our carry-ons to the MDR for lunch.

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

If you are capable, carry your luggage on with you, and you won't have to wonder when your suitcase will arrive. Full size suitcases can be placed on the x-ray machine.

You do not need to give them to the porters outside.

I didn't know we can carry our full-sized luggage (28") to the ship, which was why we always have given them to the porter.  I thought all carry-on luggage must be small enough to go through the x-ray machine and Princess' x-ray machines look like the size of TSA machines at the airport, which I think 28" luggage won't be able to fit and go through.  So you have carried full-sized luggages yourself to the ship in the past?   Thank you.

8 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

So you have carried full-sized luggages yourself to the ship in the past?

It's no fun lifting it up onto the belt for the x-ray machine on your own, but yes we have brought our full-sized suitcases through security for Princess Cruises sailing from Fort Lauderdale, San Pedro and San Francisco.

4 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

It's no fun lifting it up onto the belt for the x-ray machine on your own, but yes we have brought our full-sized suitcases through security for Princess Cruises sailing from Fort Lauderdale, San Pedro and San Francisco.

We've been carrying our own luggage on for years now and as long as my husband can lift my heavy bag onto the table, will continue to do so.

I doubt if I could handle it.

It's so nice to have the suitcase ready to unpack immediately after lunch. 

Thanks for the information.  It is good to know we don't need to use the porter and can carry on full-sized luggage to the ship on our own.  A few times my luggage was fine when I gave it to the porter, and the luggage was damaged when it arrived at my cabin.  

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thanks for the information.  It is good to know we don't need to use the porter and can carry on full-sized luggage to the ship on our own.  A few times my luggage was fine when I gave it to the porter, and the luggage was damaged when it arrived at my cabin.  

The porters only put it on a luggage carrier. The main handling is done by the crew members after that. 

It could possibly have been damaged when the porters were handling it as it was taken onboard.

No way to know for sure.

NOTE:  If you have bottles of wine, or anything else that might warrant further search, this could really delay your bags.  It could be pretty late before they get to your cabin.

I know a lot of people say that they fly with their liquids in checked bags, but then Princess suggest bringing wine, personally, in your carry on stuff.   So you have to move it our of your checked bag.

THAT is why...  All those checked bags that get flagged for search really can delay your suitcases.

My checked bags have always been delivered to my cabin inn time to unpack and dress for dinner.  Noon, 2:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m., I don't sweat it.

I am not going to struggle with my luggage.  I pay the porters to deal with it.  I am already hot and bothered getting on board without that extra stress.

• Like 1