Solo fee waived; double points? Book multiple cabins?

LMaxwell

If Celebrity are advertising waived solo supplements through March 2023, does that mean no double points for Solo's in a standard type of room? I know on Royal Caribbean if you paid even $1 towards a supplement you were afforded the double points for solo travel but am unsure if CC points are handled similarly. 

Looking at booking a balcony and corresponding interior across the hall. This would at a bare minimum net us a second bathroom and lower total cruise fare but wondering about the point situation.  I know the OBC per room is halved for solos, so at best we end up with same OBC as booking two in the balcony room. 

Does anyone that has booked with Solo supplement know the point situation or what you received, and was it pre or post covid sailing

Edited by LMaxwell

16 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Something I had not thought of; are there any DOWNSIDES to booking this? 

I’m thinking about two connecting balconies in Jan…one room for sleeping, one room for activities 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m thinking about two connecting balconies in Jan…one room for sleeping, one room for activities 😀

At the very least you net two bathrooms and an extra large balcony. That might count twice lol 

• Like 1

I've booked 5 cruises with the solo 100% fares (first one mid-Oct) and don't expect double points for any of them.  During the start-up period beginning last Aug, I took 9 cruises which averaged about 120% supplement each and I did receive double points.  Still had a good-sized leftover FCC (from a canceled 5-day suite last fall) which has paid for upcoming solo-fared balcony cruises totaling 35 days.  These solo fares are certainly wonderful while they're here....think I'm going to need a much longer-term pet sitter.  😉

And if DH were still here, we'd book adjoining solo cabins for the two bathrooms.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I was thinking the same book two SS and have the equivalent of a CS and much lower cost.

• Like 1

Does anyone think this might cause a backlash if it becomes common? If so it would be sad if solo cruisers lose something that is a positive improvement for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Does anyone think this might cause a backlash if it becomes common? If so it would be sad if solo cruisers lose something that is a positive improvement for them.

It's a marketing promotion to sell unsold rooms; what backlash? From whom? Why? 

Just now, LMaxwell said:

It's a marketing promotion to sell unsold rooms; what backlash? From whom? Why? 

Backlash would be from Celebrity pulling the program due to two people taking the same space that previously 4 or more would. These rooms won't be unsold forever. If everyone decided this is a good idea then for a ship designed for 2800 passengers at double occupancy they would only have 1400 paying passengers. Of course if this did start happening on a large scale then Celebrity would just not have the promotion anymore. Thus, once again penalizing solo travelers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Backlash would be from Celebrity pulling the program due to two people taking the same space that previously 4 or more would. These rooms won't be unsold forever. If everyone decided this is a good idea then for a ship designed for 2800 passengers at double occupancy they would only have 1400 paying passengers. Of course if this did start happening on a large scale then Celebrity would just not have the promotion anymore. Thus, once again penalizing solo travelers. 

They can change the offering period at any time, it is indefinite. The only dates listed are for applicable sailing dates. They could discontinue the offer today and prevent any new bookings. 

• Like 1

Potential issue on some cruises, depending on itinerary,  and who knows what the future will hold - get Covid, and at the end of the cruise elect to stay on for free, and your partner is forced to leave. 

I think it is unethical to book a cabin for the extra room, as it is capacity controlled and you are depriving someone who needs it of the opportunity - not unlike booking a cabin designated for the disabled because you want the extra space.   For all those who are invested in a healthy cruise line - either as a frequent passenger or shareholder- this isn't supportive. 

11 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

not unlike booking a cabin designated for the disabled because you want the extra space.   

I think I've seen it all on CC now.  Booking a multiple cabins for solo travelers is NOT the same as booking a disabled category cabin. Those are limited in number with bespoke facilities that those with mobility issues need.  I would never book one of those without need.  It's completely unlike your comparison. 

I originally was looking to book a solo room for myself as I have more time off than my spouse does; turns out I calculated incorrectly.  My Travel Agent suggested I book an interior and a balcony at the solo rates; this would save us approximately $250 for the cruise I am looking at.  You are aware these ships aren't sailing above 60-70% occupancy currently. 

• Like 2

Thanks for posting about this. Mrs Dawg wants a single cabin because my CPAP is broken and I can't get another for at least a few months due to the worldwide recall on them. One single for me and one single for Mrs. Dawg, two cabins for the price of one! 🥳

Anyone know if any ships are doing this around Christmas and New Years, 2022?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I think I've seen it all on CC now.  Booking a multiple cabins for solo travelers is NOT the same as booking a disabled category cabin. Those are limited in number with bespoke facilities that those with mobility issues need.  I would never book one of those without need.  It's completely unlike your comparison. 

Limited in number and not intended for you (a couple wanting extra room).  Pretty close to what a cabin for the disabled is. Justify it any way you want, but as a solo cruiser I hope you will please reconsider. 

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Limited in number and not intended for you (a couple wanting extra room).  Pretty close to what a cabin for the disabled is. Justify it any way you want, but as a solo cruiser I hope you will please reconsider. 

My intention isn't to deprive anyone of a cabin, and I somewhat take umbrage to your comparing booking two rooms to taking a disabled cabin out of inventory. 

I am not taking one of the bespoke solo cabins, so want to clear that up.

Some people, couples, are interested in side by side balcony rooms to get additonal balcony space. Some may be inclined to book side by side suites for the same result. I am interested in a standard interior room across from a balcony as a method of cost savings suggested by my agent and finding out if I would also maximize points or not. I'm not interested in double sized balconies, I'm looking to minimize the expense of a booking. I don't really see it as any different than using MGM rewards, Amex Offers, Resident discounts, Captains Club perks, etc.  I do appreciate your point but think its misplaced or it is better directed towards the company, they set the booking rules and conditions. 

Yesterday I needed a bottle of cleaner from Amazon. I actually was able to order a bundled DOUBLE pack for $1 less than the single bottle is advertised for. Did I deprive someone of ordering the product, or did I take Amazon up on their advertised marketing offer? If they didn't want me to buy a double pack, why even advertise it to me? 

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I never did find any fares where the single supplement was completely waived.  The max I found was 60%.  I certainly expect to get double points for paying any single supplement.  Will see what happens this fall.

I booked a B2B2B (28 days total) on the Equinox starting January 21, 2023. The single supplement was waived on all of the cruises and I just had to pay the 100%. It was still available about 2 days ago when I looked.  I doubt if I’ll get double points, but I am thrilled with the deal I got. And I’ll be out of the cold weather for about a month!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I think it is unethical to book a cabin for the extra room, as it is capacity controlled and you are depriving someone who needs it of the opportunity

I look at it as Celebrity enhancing our cruise experience. Booked connecting cabins for the wife and I. My snoring won't bother her, and I tend to get up earlier than her. One of us (ok me most likely) will be able to have a nice nap if needed without bothering the other. Also, being a western off season, I doubt the cruise will be close to selling out.