One night stay in Fort Lauderdale before the cruise

Oskial

We are two couples flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise looking for an overnight stay that is close to the cruise port.  I know there are a lot of places to look at, but any recommendations from anyone that has stayed in a reasonably priced hotel in the last few moths where we can walk to a restaurant and a grocery store or CVS where we can get any last minute items before the cruise would be very helpful.  

When we cruised with our son and daughter in law we booked a suite at the Riverside hotel in the newer part and shared the room.  It is in a great location to walk to many restaurants etc.  Used Uber to get to port.  I’m not sure how reasonable it is any longer though.  

2 hours ago, Oskial said:

We are two couples flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise looking for an overnight stay that is close to the cruise port.  I know there are a lot of places to look at, but any recommendations from anyone that has stayed in a reasonably priced hotel in the last few moths where we can walk to a restaurant and a grocery store or CVS where we can get any last minute items before the cruise would be very helpful.  

As mentioned, there's LOTS of opinions over the Florida Departures board re hotels near Port Everglades and that's the starting point for hotel discussions. We've stayed at most of them, and IMHO the best ones near the port are the Hyatt Place, the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina. The Embassy Suites has had a lot of bad reviews lately. The 17th Street strip is where the closest hotels are, and there are plenty of restaurants, shopping and even a huge Total Wines outlet if you need to stock up on booze or wine pre-cruise. We've backed off of the Hyatt Place in recent years (good hotel but a bit cramped, tiny lobby etc) and are booked into the Renaissance for our next three trips out of PE.  Easy 10 minute walk to Terminal 2 if that's where you are departing from, a great restaurant called the Boatyard (canal-front dining) literally next door and right across 17th St from a big Walgreen's pharmacy. It's great to wake up in your upper level room and stare out at your ship docked in PE right outside your window.  Google Maps will show you all the hotels etc on 17th Street, there's a lot to choose from. Exactly when are you traveling and with which cruise line?

Edited by lx200gps

Another vote for Riverside on Olas Atlas.  It's a beautiful & well maintained property with a couple of in-house restaurants and close to many others (i.e. Cheesecake Factory).  Lots of shopping on the main street (Olas Atlas).  They're part of the "Stack" hotels Group that seems to specialize in smaller, boutique properties.  Plus -- as mentioned above -- it's only a $15 cab ride to the Port/airport.

Was so happy to find this place as I was fed up with the crappy hotels by the Cruise Port who charge an arm and a leg just because they're near the Port.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:47 PM, lx200gps said:

As mentioned, there's LOTS of opinions over the Florida Departures board re hotels near Port Everglades and that's the starting point for hotel discussions. We've stayed at most of them, and IMHO the best ones near the port are the Hyatt Place, the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina. The Embassy Suites has had a lot of bad reviews lately. The 17th Street strip is where the closest hotels are, and there are plenty of restaurants, shopping and even a huge Total Wines outlet if you need to stock up on booze or wine pre-cruise. We've backed off of the Hyatt Place in recent years (good hotel but a bit cramped, tiny lobby etc) and are booked into the Renaissance for our next three trips out of PE.  Easy 10 minute walk to Terminal 2 if that's where you are departing from, a great restaurant called the Boatyard (canal-front dining) literally next door and right across 17th St from a big Walgreen's pharmacy. It's great to wake up in your upper level room and stare out at your ship docked in PE right outside your window.  Google Maps will show you all the hotels etc on 17th Street, there's a lot to choose from. Exactly when are you traveling and with which cruise line?

I believe you mean Fort Lauderdale and not Port Everglades.  Isn’t Port Everglades the port East of Orlando?

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I believe you mean Fort Lauderdale and not Port Everglades.  Isn’t Port Everglades the port East of Orlando?

Port Everglades is the port facility serving Fort Lauderdale, https://www.porteverglades.net/cruise/.

Port Canaveral is east of Orlando, https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Port-Cruise-Facts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broberts said:

Port Everglades is the port facility serving Fort Lauderdale, https://www.porteverglades.net/cruise/.

Port Canaveral is east of Orlando, https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Port-Cruise-Facts.

I keep getting the port names mixed up….should call them by their real names and then I’ll remember them.  Thanks for the info. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I keep getting the port names mixed up….should call them by their real names and then I’ll remember them.  Thanks for the info. 😊

I remember Port Canaveral because it is on Cape Canaveral where NASA missions are launched, i.e. the rocket place. 🙂 (I'm a bit of a space enthusiast.)

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

I remember Port Canaveral because it is on Cape Canaveral where NASA missions are launched, i.e. the rocket place. 🙂 (I'm a bit of a space enthusiast.)

That’s a good trigger. I need to do something like that. 

I havent stayed there yet,  but i booked the Riverside for a September cruise .

It was around 300.00 for a tower room .

Looks like an interesting location with plenty of restaurants and a bakery right across the street for a quick breakfast before heading off to the ship .

5 minutes ago, loman said:

Looks like an interesting location with plenty of restaurants and a bakery right across the street for a quick breakfast before heading off to the ship .

We’ve stayed there several times-in the old & new part.  The location can’t be beat.  Water taxi right there.  Tons of restaurants within walking distance.  Bakery across the street is yummy.  The hotel breakfast was good too when we were there.    I was there one year for my birthday so found Starbucks within walking distance to for my free birthday latte, lol! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loman said:

Great choice...the Boathouse restaurant beside the river is great and the hotel itself has a great breakfast spot...and don't forget cocktails at the bar...hope you have great time.

2 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

Great choice...the Boathouse restaurant beside the river is great and the hotel itself has a great breakfast spot...and don't forget cocktails at the bar...hope you have great time.

Ok , thanks for the recommendations !🙂

I am retired from being the General Manager of the parking facilities at Port Everglades and the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.  It's been a while since I've visited the area but I can say that when we cruise out of Port Everglades or the Port of Miami, we always stay at one of the FLL "AIRPORT" hotels.  They all offer shuttles to the port, some included in the hotel cost, some not.  They are located at Griffin Rd and I-95 interchange.  They are located just about a mile away from Tropical Acres Steakhouse, one of the best steakhouses you'll find in S. Florida and the Rustic Inn if you like crab and other critters.  If you are driving and want to park at the port, Griffin Rd is almost a straight shot into the Port, you can't go wrong with the signage.  

BTW, if you are there for a day or two before or after the cruise, you must check out Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor in Dania Beach.  I'm 70 and I used to go there on almost a daily basis when I was a preschooler, when my mom gave me a dime a day.  It's on US1 and Sterling Rd., in a small strip mall.  

On 7/25/2022 at 7:47 PM, Ret MP said:

I am retired from being the General Manager of the parking facilities at Port Everglades and the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.  It's been a while since I've visited the area but I can say that when we cruise out of Port Everglades or the Port of Miami, we always stay at one of the FLL "AIRPORT" hotels.  They all offer shuttles to the port, some included in the hotel cost, some not.  They are located at Griffin Rd and I-95 interchange.  They are located just about a mile away from Tropical Acres Steakhouse, one of the best steakhouses you'll find in S. Florida and the Rustic Inn if you like crab and other critters.  If you are driving and want to park at the port, Griffin Rd is almost a straight shot into the Port, you can't go wrong with the signage.  

BTW, if you are there for a day or two before or after the cruise, you must check out Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor in Dania Beach.  I'm 70 and I used to go there on almost a daily basis when I was a preschooler, when my mom gave me a dime a day.  It's on US1 and Sterling Rd., in a small strip mall.  

Thank you very much for all the information.  I will definitely explore this.  The ice cream sounds great too.  We will only be in Fort Lauderdale for the one night but ice cream is almost a food source in our home.  

• 1 month later...

We travel to FLL many times over the years prior to COVID and would recommend some hotels on 17th such as Hyatt Place and the Hilton Marina.  Pier 66 was a great hotel with a fabulous pool with bars and restaurants just beyond the bridge (across from the Hilton) but am fairly sure it is still under reno.  The reviews for the Renaissance are not as good as they were prior to COVID so take a look at those before booking. You can always count on Hyatt for great clean bedding! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So , i spent a pre-cruise day at the Riverside and was very pleased with it.

Great location , and room was clean and comfortable . 

They do have a great breakfast and it was delivered by a robot to our table .

We had a late lunch at Big City Tavern across the street , and although it was very loud in there ( college football games going on all the tv`s ) it was good.

I would stay there again .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, loman said:

So , i spent a pre-cruise day at the Riverside and was very pleased with it.

Great location , and room was clean and comfortable . 

They do have a great breakfast and it was delivered by a robot to our table .

We had a late lunch at Big City Tavern across the street , and although it was very loud in there ( college football games going on all the tv`s ) it was good.

I would stay there again .

Glad you liked the hotel.  We’ve found it is in a perfect location for us to walk or bus wherever we want.

Robot is new since we were there.