The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 19th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning Dailyites. 

I like the new friends day. Everyone on Rich's post was once a new friend for me.

I'm sorry to hear of the terrible fires, heat, and deaths in Europe as well as the heat waves here in US. Lifting prayers to all on Roy's care list.

I love the recipes today, but Roy's lamb looks delicious too. Camilla looks like such a big girl already! I remember when she was still in hospital and had her in my prayer book for months.

A sweet little hula show0716221539a_Edited.thumb.jpg.2c94658efbe3a6191faf9480c8e98a1c.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I have had 1 booster shot, I am considering the timing for the second since I have cruises in October and December.

I have had 1 booster and have the second one scheduled for September 13. Our cruise is in November. 

• Like 15

Good (just barely) morning, all! Friends are always worth celebrating days for. I love the quote, but realize it fits three types of people who treat everyone equally: those who respect all fellow human beings; those who disrespect all fellow human beings; and those who recognize the face but can’t for the life of them remember who it is until much later.

The wine is something I would like to try!

Well, our ferry ran yesterday after all, so we made it to the mainland last night. @Quartzsite Cruiser the island has a hospital and three fire halls. In a medical emergency beyond the abilities of the local hospital, the patient is airlifted to Victoria. @SusieKIslandGirl I had no idea Washington State Ferries had the same problem. In fact, people here complaining about our ferries often declare ‘This would never happen on the Washington ferries.’ They are usually drawing from memories of how things were a decade ago. One gentleman indignantly posted ‘The ferries should staff the same way the transit system does. We had a huge spare board of available drivers when I worked there in the 1980’s!’ He was being serious. I’m not sure if knowing things are just as bad south of the border makes me feel better, or worse.🤔 Either way, thanks for letting me know.

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Yes, I double checked the day.😂 I’m enjoying today’s sun, but not quite as much as if we were enjoying it on a BHB!

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

Our Sarah does not like her mam and dad too after 7 years of no contact by them.

Ruth was extremely kind to them as she was for us especially after we both were married making dinners every night,doing our washing and ironing giving money etc for all 4 of us.

There are givers and Takers in this world.

This thread is full of givers and lovely people and why I love being here even though I sometimes post too much.

Graham.

You  post  as  much as  you want Graham. I love  to read  them  every  day.

Jim,

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Quick question. I have verified that I can schedule another Covid-19 booster shot. Is there any requirement that it be within a time frame before the cruise or is it even required?

Thanks

Hi Rich,

We just got emails from HAL today (our cruise is in 15 days - YAY!). They say that a final dose has to be at least 14 days before the cruise:

"Guests must have received the final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to embarkation. Exemptions will be very limited and are not guaranteed."

Hope this helps!

Laura

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

All I saw in the news today was that the CDC will no longer be reporting cases on cruise ships.  We all have pretty much figured out that presenting a negative test 72 hours before getting on a ship is worthless.  We do all know that every one says that masks and social distancing are the best defense. And do I mask.  I do wish however that since 5 Atlanta area counties are listed in the HIGH Red zone, that the pharmacy people would wear masks.  Or shop owners, or employees at grocery stores.  

Cruise is now about 50 some days away.  I am boosted, vaccinated, and caffeinated, ready to go.  BUT I did hear that the newer shot available this fall, will be fighting the current Covid, and I wish I could get that before I get  on a ship.

Big storm about to come in. so off the computer I go.  Hugs, stay safe!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

I have had 1 booster shot, I am considering the timing for the second since I have cruises in October and December.

Same.  My DH and I plan to get our 2nd booster and flu shot in October in preparation for our November cruise.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

We all have pretty much figured out that presenting a negative test 72 hours before getting on a ship is worthless. 

I don't think it's worthless.  It isn't a complete solution but I think it does reduce the transmission somewhat.  To get rid of covid on cruise ships we need to get rid of it on land but when we can't eliminate it I favor doing everything possible to minimize it.

Roy

• Like 16

Before I forget, I have enjoyed all the pictures of Saguenay today. Thank you, @rafinmd Roy, @kplady Laura, and @Cruising-along Carolyn.   When we cruised the Saguenay River, it was very overcast and hazy, so even those pictures are not very good. 

Neither one of us is very happy with the health care system at this moment.  We saw the neurosurgeon two weeks ago, and they were sending the referral to the hospital today for the normal pressure hydrocephalus evaluation.  We saw our primary doctor for his opinion, and he recommended the same hospital as the best neurological department in the area.  He also said he would push from his end for an appointment. Our insurance does not require a referral, so DH also called to see if he could get an appointment sooner.  It turns out, the hospital requires a referral for appointments.  So now we sit and wait some more for the wheels of the medical system to grind slowly.  Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to vent to someone besides DH.  Thanks for "listening".

There was some good news out of the visit today.  Our PCP seemed to think dealing with the nph first is the way to proceed..  He thought that could solve most if not all of DH's problems.  The only people who are recommending back surgery are the two back surgeons, naturally.  The doctor, his PA and the physical therapist are all saying try to shunt first and avoid back surgery if at all possible.

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It's bad enough Pauline's sister didn't see her Mother for 4 years, but her DH making sarcastic comments at the church during Father David's service for her is inexcusable.  🤬   You are all better off without them cluttering up your life with negativity.

Sandi, I totally agree with your\.  As I've said before, Sarah is very lucky that @grapau27  Graham and Pauline are her real parents even if not by birth.

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

Our Sarah does not like her mam and dad too after 7 years of no contact by them.

Ruth was extremely kind to them as she was for us especially after we both were married making dinners every night, doing our washing and ironing giving money etc for all 4 of us.

There are givers and Takers in this world.

This thread is full of givers and lovely people and why I love being here even though I sometimes post too much.

Graham.

It is always sad when parents basically disown their parents and their children.  The three of your are a great and loving family.  I'm happy you found us and no you don't post too much.  Some days we all post more than others.

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have some news from the soccer nationals in Orlando this morning.  DS texted that the mighty Tigers won 2-0!!  The next game is tomorrow morning.  DGS Ren scored both goals with an assist both times from his teammate Colton.  The first score was 30 seconds into the game. The boys on the team are growing older and going to be moving on to new teams this fall.  Ren and two other excellent players are moving to the Jags (Jaguars).  The Tigers will have to rebuild the team so had better start looking for players now.  

Sandi, that is great news about Ren's team winning.  Sending positive thoughts they keep up the good work, and that there are no incidents like the last time. 

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Myself?  When I was eligible for the 2nd booster, I got it.  Too many months at the hospital and seeing what covid has done to staffing and chatting with them as we cared for DH, I am following the medical advice and keeping my immunization up to help protect my friends, neighbours, community & myself.

Jacqui, with all the doctor and PT appointments, we both got the second booster when we were eligible.  We feel there will be a new booster this fall to cover the new variants, and the new vaccine that was announced last week sounds promising.

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good hot and sunny afternoon all, I really hope everyone is surviving this weather. The heat is supposed to last until Monday, with the forecast for Sunday to be 98. 
I haven’t had a Sloe gin fizz in years. 
The car has now been towed to Nationwide claim lot. Adjuster said should hear in 1 week at the latest. It’s time to start car looking and hope for the best. The neighbor across the street never heard all the commotion and said she will look at her door camera for video.
@smitty34877, love the picture of Camilla, has she had her birthday yet? 

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

I hope the neighbor's door camera captured the drunk driver hitting the cars, and that it can be used to identify the driver. 

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My sister has an autoimmune disease. She had a 2nd booster months ago when it was 1st offered. While here in Hawaii she asked about a 3rd booster and was given one. 

That is good news that they would give her a third booster.

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Well, our ferry ran yesterday after all, so we made it to the mainland last night. @Quartzsite Cruiser the island has a hospital and three fire halls. In a medical emergency beyond the abilities of the local hospital, the patient is airlifted to Victoria.

Thanks for answering my question about emergencies on the island.  I was not sure how big the island is and what the population is.  Good to know that you made it home yesterday.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm thankful for the new friends made on the Daily! I haven't had raspberry cake nor played words with friends. Excellent quote.

I like the soup. Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Saguenay. Thanks for the pictures.

It's hot and steamy here. I'm happy I got almost 2" of rain yesterday. I'm waiting for the garage door people. Yesterday after an evaluation, I decided to get a new opener, rather than trying just a new receiver on the old current one. It's 30+ years old and very old technology. He didn't have one on the truck, so coming this afternoon. I'll get the electric eye (now mandatory), a keypad in addition to the remote, and the opener has wifi! 

@Cruzin Terri Enjoy your time in Williamsburg.

@grapau27 Stay cool! And hydrate. Lovely garden and flowers.

@0106 Great recipes today. Thanks!

@smitty34877 Good to hear you and DH aren't having many effects from the shots. Oh my, Camilla is getting so big! And good news that her GF is going home today.

@kazu Thanks for the memes.

@rafinmd Thanks for the video; cool about that echo.

@aliaschief It's good that you're feeling better.

@mamaofami Prayers for DS that he feels better soon.

@marshhawk Good luck with the boosters.

@StLouisCruisers Congrats to Ren and the mighty Tigers! My AC is about 24 years old. I have 2 separate units, one for the first floor and a second bigger one for the 2nd and 3rd floors. All I've had done is a capacitor replaced on the larger one last year (fingers crossed). 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Hope the new garage door opener works well.  We had to replace our 19 year old a/c unit in 2018.  A capacitor went out, and naturally, they stopped making the part the year before.  We decided to have the a/c, the heat pump, plus the unit in the attic replaced at the same time.  That way we only had one day with workers in and out of the house.  Luckily, that year, the weather was mild the day the did the work, so having the house open was not a problem.  The upside was that when the workers left, the attic was neater than when they arrived.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 7

26 minutes ago, kplady said:

We just got emails from HAL today (our cruise is in 15 days - YAY!). They say that a final dose has to be at least 14 days before the cruise:

"Guests must have received the final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to embarkation. Exemptions will be very limited and are not guaranteed."

I hope that means the final REQUIRED dose of an approved vaccine.  If a single booster is what is required (I think that's correct) a second booster just before the cruise should not be a problem.

Roy

• Like 12

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think it's worthless.  It isn't a complete solution but I think it does reduce the transmission somewhat.  To get rid of covid on cruise ships we need to get rid of it on land but when we can't eliminate it I favor doing everything possible to minimize it.

Roy

Roy, I agree, and I wish they would be more people wearing masks on the ship to help curb the spread.

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hope that means the final REQUIRED dose of an approved vaccine.  If a single booster is what is required (I think that's correct) a second booster just before the cruise should not be a problem.

Roy

Yes! 

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

I’m waiting for the updated Covid shot that is supposed to be ready for the fall.  It’s supposed to account for some of the variants.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

The problem in the UK is that you do not have to isolate in the UK if you have Covid so it can easily transmit.

When we cruise we avoid everyone for up to 7 days and test ourselves daily.

Graham.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good hot and sunny afternoon all, I really hope everyone is surviving this weather. The heat is supposed to last until Monday, with the forecast for Sunday to be 98. 
I haven’t had a Sloe gin fizz in years. 
The car has now been towed to Nationwide claim lot. Adjuster said should hear in 1 week at the latest. It’s time to start car looking and hope for the best. The neighbor across the street never heard all the commotion and said she will look at her door camera for video.
@smitty34877, love the picture of Camilla, has she had her birthday yet? 

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

She had her birthday in late June. The party was held out doors but there were a few people who were Ill and did not know it. They unfortunately caused quite a few Covid cases within 4 days. Yikes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good (just barely) morning, all! Friends are always worth celebrating days for. I love the quote, but realize it fits three types of people who treat everyone equally: those who respect all fellow human beings; those who disrespect all fellow human beings; and those who recognize the face but can’t for the life of them remember who it is until much later.

The wine is something I would like to try!

Well, our ferry ran yesterday after all, so we made it to the mainland last night. @Quartzsite Cruiser the island has a hospital and three fire halls. In a medical emergency beyond the abilities of the local hospital, the patient is airlifted to Victoria. @SusieKIslandGirl I had no idea Washington State Ferries had the same problem. In fact, people here complaining about our ferries often declare ‘This would never happen on the Washington ferries.’ They are usually drawing from memories of how things were a decade ago. One gentleman indignantly posted ‘The ferries should staff the same way the transit system does. We had a huge spare board of available drivers when I worked there in the 1980’s!’ He was being serious. I’m not sure if knowing things are just as bad south of the border makes me feel better, or worse.🤔 Either way, thanks for letting me know.

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Yes, I double checked the day.😂 I’m enjoying today’s sun, but not quite as much as if we were enjoying it on a BHB!

We have recently had some ferry runs cancelled due to staffing issues here in Washington.  I also heard that the AMTRAK train from Seattle to Vancouver was not running for the same reason.  I sympathize with people remembering the "good old days" though.  I remember when the state took over the ferry system from the Black Ball company and we lost a lot of short ferry routes.  I believe Black Ball still runs the Anacortes to Victoria ferry, though.  

Ray

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Before I forget, I have enjoyed all the pictures of Saguenay today. Thank you, @rafinmd Roy, @kplady Laura, and @Cruising-along Carolyn.   When we cruised the Saguenay River, it was very overcast and hazy, so even those pictures are not very good. 

Neither one of us is very happy with the health care system at this moment.  We saw the neurosurgeon two weeks ago, and they were sending the referral to the hospital today for the normal pressure hydrocephalus evaluation.  We saw our primary doctor for his opinion, and he recommended the same hospital as the best neurological department in the area.  He also said he would push from his end for an appointment. Our insurance does not require a referral, so DH also called to see if he could get an appointment sooner.  It turns out, the hospital requires a referral for appointments.  So now we sit and wait some more for the wheels of the medical system to grind slowly.  Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to vent to someone besides DH.  Thanks for "listening".

There was some good news out of the visit today.  Our PCP seemed to think dealing with the nph first is the way to proceed..  He thought that could solve most if not all of DH's problems.  The only people who are recommending back surgery are the two back surgeons, naturally.  The doctor, his PA and the physical therapist are all saying try to shunt first and avoid back surgery if at all possible.

Sandi, I totally agree with your\.  As I've said before, Sarah is very lucky that @grapau27  Graham and Pauline are her real parents even if not by birth.

It is always sad when parents basically disown their parents and their children.  The three of your are a great and loving family.  I'm happy you found us and no you don't post too much.  Some days we all post more than others.

Sandi, that is great news about Ren's team winning.  Sending positive thoughts they keep up the good work, and that there are no incidents like the last time. 

Jacqui, with all the doctor and PT appointments, we both got the second booster when we were eligible.  We feel there will be a new booster this fall to cover the new variants, and the new vaccine that was announced last week sounds promising.

I hope the neighbor's door camera captured the drunk driver hitting the cars, and that it can be used to identify the driver. 

Thanks for answering my question about emergencies on the island.  I was not sure how big the island is and what the population is.  Good to know that you made it home yesterday.

Hope the new garage door opener works well.  We had to replace our 19 year old a/c unit in 2018.  A capacitor went out, and naturally, they stopped making the part the year before.  We decided to have the a/c, the heat pump, plus the unit in the attic replaced at the same time.  That way we only had one day with workers in and out of the house.  Luckily, that year, the weather was mild the day the did the work, so having the house open was not a problem.  The upside was that when the workers left, the attic was neater than when they arrived.

Lenda

Thank you for your very kind and supportive comments Lenda.

I can understand your frustration with how slow the medics are moving to get the right treatment for your husband and sincerely hope you get the very best advice and the proper treatments to make him better.

Best wishes to you both.

Graham.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda, I am hoping for great games for the Tigers one day at a time.  If they don't make it to the finals I am okay with that because I know they all play their very best.  Unfortunately the L.A. team is their Thursday evening opponents and they were trying their best to break every rule in soccer to win last winter.  Remember, they were one of the teams kicking Tigers in the head as they fell on the ground.  Perhaps security will be standing by this time too as the parents of that team were horrendous as well.  

Glad to hear your AC unit lasted a good long while too.  Praying the "appliance" gurus are watching over our units.  I do love a contractor that is clean and careful around your property!

Just now, grapau27 said:

I can understand your frustration with how slow the medics are moving to get the right treatment for your husband and sincerely hope you get the very best advice and the proper treatments to make him better.

Best wishes to you both.

Graham.

Totally agree with Graham here on your DH's medical treatment.  Fingers crossed all works out okay.🤞

My compression socks/stockings arrived this afternoon a day ahead of schedule.  I struggled getting them on (but had watched a video on how to do that properly) and have them on right now.  Pretty warm but I am giving it a go this evening to see if they make the legs feel better overnight.  The colors and patterns are pretty bright but I didn't want old lady stockings!😉

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, I am hoping for great games for the Tigers one day at a time.  If they don't make it to the finals I am okay with that because I know they all play their very best.  Unfortunately the L.A. team is their Thursday evening opponents and they were trying their best to break every rule in soccer to win last winter.  Remember, they were one of the teams kicking Tigers in the head as they fell on the ground.  Perhaps security will be standing by this time too as the parents of that team were horrendous as well.  

Glad to hear your AC unit lasted a good long while too.  Praying the "appliance" gurus are watching over our units.  I do love a contractor that is clean and careful around your property!

Totally agree with Graham here on your DH's medical treatment.  Fingers crossed all works out okay.🤞

My compression socks/stockings arrived this afternoon a day ahead of schedule.  I struggled getting them on (but had watched a video on how to do that properly) and have them on right now.  Pretty warm but I am giving it a go this evening to see if they make the legs feel better overnight.  The colors and patterns are pretty bright but I didn't want old lady stockings!😉

I hope they work for you Sandi and take all the pain away for you.🙏🤞

Graham.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We have recently had some ferry runs cancelled due to staffing issues here in Washington.  I also heard that the AMTRAK train from Seattle to Vancouver was not running for the same reason.  I sympathize with people remembering the "good old days" though.  I remember when the state took over the ferry system from the Black Ball company and we lost a lot of short ferry routes.  I believe Black Ball still runs the Anacortes to Victoria ferry, though.  

Ray

I also sympathize with those remembering the good old days - in fact, I’m one of them.

But to seriously suggest all could be well if the ferries copied the bus system staffing model from the ‘80’s doesn’t help. Back in the ‘80’s the ferries had more spare employees than they could find work for, too. 
I guess we just need to learn patience, and travel with a good book in the car.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Best wishes to you both.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham.

The really frustrating thing is this could have been found last September IF the neurologist had ordered a head CAT scan then.  He told DH last month his findings did not indicate a CT scan was needed.

After today, we feel we are on the right track.  Every symptom our PCP listed for NPH,  DH has.  He also said a shun should relieve the symptoms.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi Sandi,

I was of the impression that compression stockings were to be used for prolonged sitting or standing and not for overnight use.  I am no doctor but was told to use them during the day and for long trips.  you may want to check with your doctor before wearing them to bed.

Terri

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good evening everyone,

Sorry I am posting so late.

Had somewhat of a busy day.  

I got to spend a good part of the day with my friend Janet. We left the men to their own devices and just enjoyed each other’s company.  It has been almost 2 years.  

We went to lunch and brought back half for the men.  They enjoyed the left overs.

We were supposed to go out to the botanical gardens today but it was too hot, therefore the change in plans. 

It was a lovely day.

i just read through all the posts.  So many sad stories today. You are all in my prayers.

No one should feel that they post too much.  If you want to post, then, by all means do so.  That’s why we are here.

I have had a long day.  Prayers for all and Cheers to those celebrating.

Take care and God Bless,

Good night,

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1