Lobster tail in the MDR?

DrSea

Since the restart, is there lobster tail in the MDR at no extra charge? If they do offer it at no extra charge, I assume you can order multiple lobster tails? I am on a 20+ day cruise, so there will be at least one formal night.

I don't eat seafood, but my guests go crazy over lobster. I've been on a Princess cruise since the restart, but I didn't pay attention to things like lobster on the MDR.

Thanks.

Edited by DrSea

Yes, on one of the later formal nights.  Be nice to your waiter, especially if you have the same one each night, and you may be offered a 2nd lobster tail without having to ask.  But they will generally give you a second one a la carte just for the asking.  Only once was I refused, along with being treated rudely by most of the service staff (including cabin steward,) and it is the only cruise where I went and pulled the gratuities.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Thanks everyone. I will let me guests know. They will be excited to hear this.

Is there anyway to determine what nights will have the lobster?

Formal nights tend to be sea days. But not the last night of a sailing.  There are 2 formal nights on a 7 day sailing. On my sailings it was always the 2nd formal night. You can usually take a good guess from the itinerary.  You can always ask any head waiter when you board. Or ask someone on a live from or roll call for the sailing just prior to yours. 

• Like 2

The lobster is now served with a thin white sauce.  Since I am on a low sodium menu, they usually leave off the sauces (my preference).  You do have to order/request baked potatoes if you want one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Formal nights tend to be sea days. But not the last night of a sailing.  There are 2 formal nights on a 7 day sailing. On my sailings it was always the 2nd formal night. You can usually take a good guess from the itinerary.  You can always ask any head waiter when you board. Or ask someone on a live from or roll call for the sailing just prior to yours. 

I will search to roll call. It's a 28 day to Tahiti, Hawaii, etc. So Idk if it will be easy to find the info.

10 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The lobster is now served with a thin white sauce.  Since I am on a low sodium menu, they usually leave off the sauces (my preference).  You do have to order/request baked potatoes if you want one.

I will tell my guest in case they want a low sodium option. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

The lobster in the MDR was fine, we had it as surf and turf with a steak as suggested by the nice waiter.

I would however recommend that you don’t order it in the Crown Grill steak restaurant. I made that mistake and it was tiny and like a rubber band. The menu says 6-7oz but the weight must all be in the shell as it was just 3 or 4 small bites.

I ended up eating a chunk of my OHs porterhouse or I would have left the restaurant hungry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The lobster in the MDR was fine, we had it as surf and turf with a steak as suggested by the nice waiter.

I would however recommend that you don’t order it in the Crown Grill steak restaurant. I made that mistake and it was tiny and like a rubber band. The menu says 6-7oz but the weight must all be in the shell as it was just 3 or 4 small bites.

I ended up eating a chunk of my OHs porterhouse or I would have left the restaurant hungry.

Yes I was just thinking just the MDR for this trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I could be wrong but on my recent cruise the lobster had a clear garlic sauce poured over it. Like a garlic butter, it was yummy. My waiter asked if I wanted a starter and I said I wanted to save room for a second lobster. We just laughed it off but sure enough the hint was taken and I was served two lobster tails. Best meal of the cruise.

• Like 2

@leck57I really do not remember the sauce since I only saw it from a distance.  It could have been a garlic butter.  I enjoyed just the plain unadulterated lobster.  

I can tell you that the lobster thermidor that was served in club class dining (extra dish) was terrific.  Doesn't always happen.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrSea said:

Thanks everyone. I will let me guests know. They will be excited to hear this.

Is there anyway to determine what nights will have the lobster?

It’s usually the 2nd formal night.  You can see how many formal nights are on your cruise by checking your travel summary on the website.

• Like 1

Not trying to be a negative Nellie here but, the lobster in the main dining room is not nearly as good as it used to be.  I’ve had many great dishes in the MDR since the restart, this is just not one of them.  I think all cruiselines have been hit hard, not only with raised costs for everything from fuel to food, but all the supply chain issues. So, I get it and will give them this, they have been very creative with the menus, many of which I really do love.  
I even have had the lobster in the Crown Grill since the restart.  It’s much better than the ones served in the MDR but, even there, it’s not as good as it used to be.  I much prefer their fish there and it has never been disappointing.  

• Like 2

Yes,  just avoid ordering Lobster in Crown Grill....  Learned that by experience!

I can remember our Alaska cruise, years ago, where they brought out fresh split crab legs and pulled the lobster out of the shell table-side.  OMG!!!   Now those were the days!

I don't know about the special seafood boil speciality offered.  If it is still there.

But, seems I read mixed reviews on that?

• Like 1

Currently on Regal and had lobster last week on our DTI night.

They are are so small (equivalent of two large shrimps) I had a second main. No problem whatsoever to ask your waiter for another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's always lobster on 7-night cruises, and you can always ask for more, or replace the filet mignon with a second one. Or you could just buy a lobster tail for $10 at a grocery store and cook it yourself--my parents treat lobster as some sort of rare luxury only available on cruises, with the ritual of having someone cut out the meat from the shell for you. In reality, for much of US history lobster was considered ocean trash fed to servants, prisoners, and cats, until marketers managed to rebrand it as a rare delicacy, instead of bottom-feeding sea cockroaches. In the good old days, HAL used to have unlimited lobster tails in the buffet one evening, which stank up the entire Lido as they cooked them. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yup, I've ordered the Beef Wellington and the lobster tail a la carte many a time without issue.  Only once was I refused this option, and it was also a cruise where we were mistreated by much of the wait staff and stewards.  I once called the steward on her pager and her response, in broken English, was "I'm on my break".  And to top it off we were subjected to leaking sewage throughout the aft section of the ship on multiple floors.  It was and is the only time where I pulled the gratuities.
The only good part was that a Guest Services supervisor offered us some compensation, but was quite clear that it was all she was authorized to offer and subtly mentioned that there was more that could be offered if the matter was escalated to corporate.  We were soon contacted by corporate after we got home and was quickly offered twice the amount.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 8:59 PM, leck57 said:

I could be wrong but on my recent cruise the lobster had a clear garlic sauce poured over it. Like a garlic butter

On our recent B2B in Alaska, the lobster was served on the 2nd formal night both times and it did have the butter poured over it unlike when they used to provide a small cup of drawn butter

• Like 2