How loud is a cabin under the buffet?

DrSea

I am considering a room that is directly located under the buffet kitchen. It's an interior. I am assuming that it will be loud at like 4 am with them rolling trays of food in order to set up the buffet. But you know what they say about assuming...so I was wondering if anyone who has actually experience could comment.

Anyone have any experiences? Thanks

Great question. I have always been afraid of the 3:00 a.m., 4:00 a.m. noise, under the buffet or pool areas.  But I have no first hand knowledge.

On the other hand, I've been kept awake by loud noise from late night discos, decades ago.  Horrible experience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone. I will speak with my guest. They want to stay right underneath the buffet for easy access to food. It is on the Riveria deck on the Crown Princess. Eating is a huge part of why we cruise, so I get where they are coming from. Plus they wake up at like 5 am, so it won't bother them. I like to sleep in until noon (hence the inside cabin).

I want to pick a lower room that is surrounded by cabins in all directions. That way it will be quieter. This other room is on the dolphin level and is 2 stories above the theater, which I don't think it will be an issue. But the travel agent said that there is a note in the computer denoting that the sound may travel up an entire floor/cabin and into my room. That just doesn't seem likely to me.

3 hours ago, claudia814 said:

It’s when they wash the floor in the buffet and move all the chairs around when it’s the nosiest in the middle of the night. Drove us crazy, never again have cabin below anything other than cabins. 

No chairs to move around in the galley.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

I want to pick a lower room that is surrounded by cabins in all directions. That way it will be quieter. This other room is on the dolphin level and is 2 stories above the theater, which I don't think it will be an issue. But the travel agent said that there is a note in the computer denoting that the sound may travel up an entire floor/cabin and into my room. That just doesn't seem likely to me.

To allow for raising scenery, etc, the theater stage area does have a part of it open up to deck 9, so sound can carry from the theater up to deck 9 near the front of the ship.

I have never stayed on deck 9 in that area, but when I have been in that area on deck 8 I have heard music at a low sound level during shows and rehearsals. Just background noise.

• Like 1

We were on the Crown once when we used to book guarantee cabins.  Never again … we always book our preferred cabin since that cruise.  

We were assigned a room right under the Trident Grill and it was noisy day and night.  We tried to move cabins and others that were under the buffet were quicker than us snagged all the quiet rooms.  We were stuck and got no sleep the entire cruise.  From then on, we went back on the Crown (we were compensated after our experience) and picked a room that was surrounded other cabins.  Much better!  Go down one deck and you all will be much happier.  Or, the cabins on the Riviera deck under the cabins in the lido deck are also quite.  
BTW, the room service menu is greatly expanded.  No walk to the food as now they bring it to you wherever you are on the ship.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We were on the Crown once when we used to book guarantee cabins.  Never again … we always book our preferred cabin since that cruise.  

We were assigned a room right under the Trident Grill and it was noisy day and night.  We tried to move cabins and others that were under the buffet were quicker than us snagged all the quiet rooms.  We were stuck and got no sleep the entire cruise.  From then on, we went back on the Crown (we were compensated after our experience) and picked a room that was surrounded other cabins.  Much better!  Go down one deck and you all will be much happier.  Or, the cabins on the Riviera deck under the cabins in the lido deck are also quite.  
BTW, the room service menu is greatly expanded.  No walk to the food as now they bring it to you wherever you are on the ship.  

There's a reason those cabins are available for "guarantees" and "upgrades".

After learning the hard way, we always have our bookings marked "No Upgrades".

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1

My first cruise I stayed under the buffet.  It wasn't that bad.  I heard chairs scrapping every now and then, but it wasn't so bad I couldn't take it.  Can't say I'd reject a room under the buffet. 

On 7/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, DrSea said:

I am considering a room that is directly located under the buffet kitchen. It's an interior. I am assuming that it will be loud at like 4 am with them rolling trays of food in order to set up the buffet. But you know what they say about assuming...so I was wondering if anyone who has actually experience could comment.

We were under the buffet kitchen once, and it was incredibly noisy. Never again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And those booking themselves rather than using a TA who would advise them of the problem.

See. If they had been reading CC it could have saved them from a horrible cruise. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, DrSea said:

Not sure what ship you are considering, but we just got off the Ruby and stayed in Riviera 736.  Absolutely no noise as the Cafe Caribe in the back of the ship was not open the entire cruise.  Only noise was kids running up and down the hallway, slamming doors by passengers and morning chit chat.  We love these rooms as they are just steps away from the door to the aft pool and easy access to the Horizon Buffet.  

• Thanks 1