What's one thing HAL does that other lines do not (what not to miss)

LMaxwell

Will be onboard my first HAL cruise in 3 months on Nieuw Amsterdam.  What is something bespoke to HAL that I should look out for, something I won't encounter on other lines, or just something they do once a cruise not to miss? 

Pre-Covid (because I can’t recall if this still happened when I was on my December HAL cruise):

• Your room will be ready upon embarkation.
  • You can order room service breakfast on day of disembarkation.
  • You can remain in your cabin until your disembarkation # is called.

Of course, this has varied wildly since the restart, depending on positive cases & staff availability, but I am hoping it remains once things return to the new normal.

• Like 4

If you are Catholic, there is always a priest onboard with daily mass. 

Tamarind on Signature and Pinnacle Class is said to be the best Asian dining experience on mainstream cruise lines.

Dutch pea soup served in Alaska sailings while viewing the scenery 

Orange party - your mileage may vary but it is unique to HAL

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Pre-Covid (because I can’t recall if this still happened when I was on my December HAL cruise):

• Your room will be ready upon embarkation.
  • You can order room service breakfast on day of disembarkation.
  • You can remain in your cabin until your disembarkation # is called.

Of course, this has varied wildly since the restart, depending on positive cases & staff availability, but I am hoping it remains once things return to the new normal.

I wouldn’t count on room service breakfast on disembarkation.  That seems to have disappeared from many ships.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I wouldn’t count on room service breakfast on disembarkation.  That seems to have disappeared from many ships.  

We had it in June on Koningsdam. Not sure what other ships offer it. 

• Thanks 1

Grand Dutch cafes on the three newest Pinnacle Class ships where you can order Dutch foods on the menu and Dutch beers on tap, with blue & white decor and dishes. 

Indonesian foods on the menu in dining room, buffet, etc. aboard all the ships.

Delft tiles as a gift for Mariners (repeaters) on every cruise.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That Is good news.  It wasn’t available in November 2021 or March 2022 at least at the balcony level.  Maybe for suites.

Could be. We got a last minute upgrade to a Neptune suite. 

• Like 3

We loved the Lincoln Center Stage with classical music just about every night with a fabulous quartet.  We also loved the quiet ambience of the ship and that everyone has access to all parts of the ship except one lounge, and that the ships still have a walkable promenade deck though I do miss the lounges on the newest ships.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Andi Land said:

We had it in June on Koningsdam. Not sure what other ships offer it. 

Room service breakfast wasn't available on disembarkation day on the Zuiderdam in January or the Oosterdam this month. 

A real honest to goodness all the way around wide wooden promenade deck for strolling after dinner with a cocktail and that someone you love. Well on most of the ships that is, 8 of 11 I think it is now. I know some other lines do still have this or something similar but to me, this is a HAL thing. Maasdam's promenade was just magnificent. We spent a lot of time out there just dreaming and watching the world go by. But the Vistas and Sigs are wonderful too. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Will be onboard my first HAL cruise in 3 months on Nieuw Amsterdam.  What is something bespoke to HAL that I should look out for, something I won't encounter on other lines, or just something they do once a cruise not to miss? 

The Crows Nest AKA Explorations Cafe on the Observation Deck. [Deck 11 on the N.A.] It is a mark of genius that this area is open to all! It can get crowded, but worth the wait for a comfy chair or nearby sofa/club-chair. Have been on NCL and RCI, and have a booking on CCL -- combed their deckplans and there is nothing like the Crows Nest.

Also it was genius to relocate the Cafe to Crows Nest.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The Crows Nest AKA Explorations Cafe on the Observation Deck. [Deck 11 on the N.A.] It is a mark of genius that this area is open to all! It can get crowded, but worth the wait for a comfy chair or nearby sofa/club-chair. Have been on NCL and RCI, and have a booking on CCL -- combed their deckplans and there is nothing like the Crows Nest.

Also it was genius to relocate the Cafe to Crows Nest.

What RCI ship did you book on?  Many (not all) still have access to the Viking Crown Lounge. 

10 hours ago, Andi Land said:

I love the naturalist they bring on board for enrichment in Alaska, Panama Canal, and I’ve read for Hawaii as well. 

That is not only on HAL as we had a naturalist in Alaska on Princess.

• Like 1

Lots of things already mentioned that I agree with, but need to add one - the ability to order dinner from the MDR menu to be sent to your cabin.  This really came in handy on one cruise when my Mom was not able to attend dinner but REALLY wanted the prime rib entrée.  We were able to dine on the balcony and enjoy the sailing from Vancouver while she got her favorite meal.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Lots of things already mentioned that I agree with, but need to add one - the ability to order dinner from the MDR menu to be sent to your cabin.  This really came in handy on one cruise when my Mom was not able to attend dinner but REALLY wanted the prime rib entrée.  We were able to dine on the balcony and enjoy the sailing from Vancouver while she got her favorite meal.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that.  Good thing to remember.

10 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Thanks for the info. I did not know that.  Good thing to remember.

Check with room service as to the time requirements (to order).  Normally you have to do so during the first hour the MDR is open, but this can vary by ship.

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Check with room service as to the time requirements (to order).  Normally you have to do so during the first hour the MDR is open, but this can vary by ship.

Thank you. I appreciate it.