Private Message

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Maybe that's the reason the function was turned off.  I think when I joined CC, the function was available.  I never used it, however.  

Wouldn't surprise me although I'll bet it was more to do with misuse/abuse and related complaints.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe that's the reason the function was turned off.  I think when I joined CC, the function was available.  I never used it, however.  

It hasn’t ever been available except to moderators. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's really a loss to those of us who might use it.  I participate in Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum where PM is available.  I don't use it often, but, I have had some interesting private chats with other members at times when what we were discussing would have had zero interest or relevance for others on AU.  Being able to do so on CC might prevent some of the "thread drift" that irritates some of CC members.  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It's really a loss to those of us who might use it.  I participate in Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum where PM is available.  I don't use it often, but, I have had some interesting private chats with other members at times when what we were discussing would have had zero interest or relevance for others on AU.  Being able to do so on CC might prevent some of the "thread drift" that irritates some of CC members.  

it may have something to do with harassment  or TA discussions

Just guessing of course 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm new here and I saw a post which Wowzz had answered and I wanted to send a PM because Wowzz was saying that everyone uses a certain TA, but didn't name the TA. I then discovered PM's were not allowed. I thought it was because I am new here, but obviously that's not the case. I also discovered that naming TA's were not allowed either, so was wondering how someone finds out the answers to their questions when certain things on here are not allowed. Anyone? Thanks

1 hour ago, Floopyzebra said:

I'm new here and I saw a post which Wowzz had answered and I wanted to send a PM because Wowzz was saying that everyone uses a certain TA, but didn't name the TA. I then discovered PM's were not allowed. I thought it was because I am new here, but obviously that's not the case. I also discovered that naming TA's were not allowed either, so was wondering how someone finds out the answers to their questions when certain things on here are not allowed. Anyone? Thanks

It seems to me that someone "new" would not question the board functions or guildelines on their first post. That is bad etiquette.  People find answers to their questions by posting their questions... Cruise Critic has been in existance for twenty or so years and is still going strong so the rules and guildelines, and not having private messages seem to be working. 

1 hour ago, Floopyzebra said:

Those are the rules here, and if you want to participate, then follow the rules.

As Charles4515 stated, it's not a good sign if someone's very first post is, in effect, "How can I break the rules here?"

And it would be the same *anywhere*.  Most groups or locations/places have "rules" of some sort or another.  If you don't like them, then select a different choice, and hope that you can find one where you won't need to sort of introduce yourself by wanting to know how to violate the rules that other members obviously has been successfully abiding by for quite a few years.

GC

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Amtrak Unlimited is a different type of forum than Cruise Critic and has a different type of membership.  It is also much smaller. You are comparing apples to oranges. By the way no one has ever sent me a private message on AU nor have I sent one. I didn't even no PM was available. 

2 hours ago, Floopyzebra said:

I'm new here and I saw a post which Wowzz had answered and I wanted to send a PM because Wowzz was saying that everyone uses a certain TA, but didn't name the TA. I then discovered PM's were not allowed. I thought it was because I am new here, but obviously that's not the case. I also discovered that naming TA's were not allowed either,

Have you READ  the guidelines at the top of the page ?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I dunno, seems obvious to me that it was needed to enforce the 'no travel agent recommendations' rule.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Floopyzebra said:

Now that you have been properly subjected to a public flogging, I'll try to answer.  

There simply is no way to discuss travel agents on Cruise Critic.   As you learned it is among the topics not allowed and there is no work around.  I support that guideline because it is only fair to those that provide this forum for our use at no cost.  There are threads that talk about the best ways to find good travel agents and even about if it is better to book directly vs using a travel agent.   

Anyway, welcome to cruise critic and I hope to see you around the boards.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Some folks were harsh to a noob. Good to see @ldubs provide a straight forward, non judgemental answer to a legitimate question. 
I’ll confess, I haven’t read all the rules and guidelines for every forum where I post. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Some folks were harsh to a noob. Good to see @ldubs provide a straight forward, non judgemental answer to a legitimate question. 
I’ll confess, I haven’t read all the rules and guidelines for every forum where I post. 

I don’t understand the hostility, it appears the boards were set up with a message function, but it just doesn’t work, so I can see how it’s confusing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t understand the hostility, it appears the boards were set up with a message function, but it just doesn’t work, so I can see how it’s confusing. 

The message function does work for those who are allowed to use it. That would be the moderators. The function is needed so moderators can contact members.