Best Cabins for Trans-Atlantic

stevenr597

My wife and I have reserved a cabin, Club Class, Mid-Deck, on Regal Princess on a Trans-Atlantic leaving Southampton and sailing to Fort Lauderdale during October, 2023.

Since we are sailing East to West, we do not feel that Port or Starboard makes a big difference, rather mid-deck is the most important position.  However, we would like to hear comments about whether sailing on Port or Starboard would make any difference.  

Thanks for any comments. 

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

My wife and I have reserved a cabin, Club Class, Mid-Deck, on Regal Princess on a Trans-Atlantic leaving Southampton and sailing to Fort Lauderdale during October, 2023.

Since we are sailing East to West, we do not feel that Port or Starboard makes a big difference, rather mid-deck is the most important position.  However, we would like to hear comments about whether sailing on Port or Starboard would make any difference.  

Thanks for any comments. 

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. We’ve done both and enjoyed both.  We had a little more morning sun on the port side and fabulous sunsets on the starboard side.  It really depends on the route the Captain makes, as we may have the daytime sun straight ahead of us.  Just hoping for warm weather on the TA.

So, we chose midship starboard this time on this ship.  See you OB!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Billish said:

I would always choose a port cabin on this crossing - far more sunshine.  

OTOH if you're old like me and love to sit out on the balcony during "downtimes" and post on CC, besides watching the waves for wildlife or just letting life pass you by, then we would opt for either the more shadier starboard side, or better yet, an aft-facing balcony in one of the more central cabins. 🙂

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OTOH if you're old like me and love to sit out on the balcony during "downtimes" and post on CC, besides watching the waves for wildlife or just letting life pass you by, then we would opt for either the more shadier starboard side, or better yet, an aft-facing balcony in one of the more central cabins. 🙂

We have found that at that time of year, especially for the first half of the transit, that "shady" means downright chilly,  and the  balcony is too cold to use.

• Like 1

Port side will have sun most of the day. Starboard will mostly be in shade. Mid ship is the most important consideration. In your situation Club Class cabins are basically all mid ship, except for the four forward club class cabins on the upper decks. 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:10 AM, skynight said:

Port side will have sun most of the day. Starboard will mostly be in shade. Mid ship is the most important consideration. In your situation Club Class cabins are basically all mid ship, except for the four forward club class cabins on the upper decks. 

We have booked Club Class on Starboard side and were lucky enough to get one of the larger balconies.  Probably will stick with out cabin. 

We adhere to POSH.....

Port Out Starboard Home based on boarding in Europe.

Book the port side for your UK to USA crossing and enjoy the sunny side.....as peeps have for centuries. 

Also, go find the Trans Atlantic board on the cc forum. 

And enjoy the crossing........

28 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We adhere to POSH.....

Book the port side for your UK to USA crossing and enjoy the sunny side.....as peeps have for centuries. 

You betcha! We always have done the same (POSH) and never regretted it!

I had an aft facing/wake view cabin on a TA on Enchanted from FLL to Copenhagen in April and really liked the cabin.  I got sun most of the day, but especially in the late afternoon and evening, and then at sunset.  We were fortunate that we had great weather and I had no issues with motion. 

I've got a similar cabin (albeit on the port side this time, not wake view) on a TA from Southampton to NYC in about 30 days, so I'll see how the cruise westbound goes.  I'm a fan of stern cabins.

On 7/24/2022 at 9:08 PM, PacnGoNow said:

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. We’ve done both and enjoyed both.  We had a little more morning sun on the port side and fabulous sunsets on the starboard side.  It really depends on the route the Captain makes, as we may have the daytime sun straight ahead of us.  Just hoping for warm weather on the TA.

So, we chose midship starboard this time on this ship.  See you OB!

I never thought of the sunsets, plus afternoon sun is warmer than morning sun so I guess it's a draw.

32 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We adhere to POSH.....

Although originally the designation was for journeys to India from the UK. No a/c in the 19th century, so port side to avoid the sun and stay cool.

I would choose the sunny side on a lower mid ship area. We’ve been in 30-40’ seas on the Queen Mary, which was a little uncomfortable on the higher decks. It was very windy and cold at times.

15 minutes ago, Ockatty said:

I would choose the sunny side on a lower mid ship area. We’ve been in 30-40’ seas on the Queen Mary, which was a little uncomfortable on the higher decks. It was very windy and cold at times.

My go to place is Midship 5 during the storms. IC is a good place to gang out.

lol

11 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

My go to place is Midship 5 during the storms. IC is a good place to gang out.

lol

The trouble is that everyone else goes there as well ! At times it looks like a refugee camp.

We prefer to stay in our cabin and watch the storm,  without being surrounded by hundreds of other cruisers.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Billish said:

The trouble is that everyone else goes there as well ! At times it looks like a refugee camp.

We prefer to stay in our cabin and watch the storm,  without being surrounded by hundreds of other cruisers.

😂 You’re right!  I haven’t been in a big storm since the restart.  
Will have to rethink my strategy! 🤣

We always like to book as far aft we can get and if not in one of the 2 8th floor large balcony rooms, we go as high as we can. We Like the vibration and motion. I agree with the poster who said they like to watch rough weather from their rooms. Yee Ha. Largest seas we've been in has been 28ft. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:36 AM, Yehootu said:

We always like to book as far aft we can get and if not in one of the 2 8th floor large balcony rooms, we go as high as we can. We Like the vibration and motion. I agree with the poster who said they like to watch rough weather from their rooms. Yee Ha. Largest seas we've been in has been 28ft. 

That’s like a roller coaster!  Well if you like vibration and noise..,you’re in for a treat on the Crown!  😂 seriously, hope it's fixed by then. 

6 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Our cruise will be from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale with stops in Lisbon and the Azores.  Hopefully since it is a more Southern Route we will avoid the rough weather. 

We will hope for smooth seas.  You just never know.  We’ve had some pretty rough weather between UK and the Azores on the Regal. Captain put the stabilizers out to help and slowed it down. An ex Navy guy showed me how to walk like a sailor!  Lol

I went to the middle and low until I felt better.  Be prepared. 

However, it does get a little warmer after we get to Southern Europe, Portugal, Azores and on in to FLL.

• Like 1