RC still crushing luggage?

Discovered I need a new suitcase for my upcoming cruise.  My last cruise was over 10 years ago.  Then, they stacked a ton of suitcases on a cart so high, many cases on the bottom (including mine) had parts get crushed and cracked.  Should I avoid a hard shell for this purpose?  Are they still destroying bags?  Any suggestions for a solid suitcase that won't cost the price of a cruise?

5 minutes ago, cram33 said:

Discovered I need a new suitcase for my upcoming cruise.  My last cruise was over 10 years ago.  Then, they stacked a ton of suitcases on a cart so high, many cases on the bottom (including mine) had parts get crushed and cracked.  Should I avoid a hard shell for this purpose?  Are they still destroying bags?  Any suggestions for a solid suitcase that won't cost the price of a cruise?

We’ve been on 20+ cruises and never had a suitcase damaged. Accidents occasionally happen.

• Like 2

Never had a problem with cruise ships, only a few with airlines.  I just retired my 25+ year old Delsey.  It has served me well, but the plastic bits inside began to deteriorate, mostly from age.  I just replaced it with a highly-rated Travelpro.  We'll see how that works out.  If it lasts as long as the Delsey, it will be the last bag I buy.  

• Like 1

Yes they are.  They damaged the retractable handle on one of our hardside cases a couple years ago, and gave us enough to pay for a replacement handle.  

One of our cruises this year, they cracked one of our hardside cases.  Insurance paid for a replacement.  

Get a good hardside that will not crack.  We had problems with soft side cases that got soaked, as well as everything inside getting soaked while waiting to load on the plane.  Would not get soft side for this reason. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

google has lists of highly rated suitcases. I say buy a cheaper one and throw it away every few cruises.

We buy our luggage at thrift shops.  Then we can justify replacing if needed.  However, we've never had a problem on a cruise.

What port did you sail from?

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. For the record when my suitcase got damaged I still had several trips left in it.

At the time, the disregard for the luggade was so blatant, cruisers speculated they were trying to break illegal booze containers 🤦‍♂️.

Will just find a nice suitcase and not worry then.

We use soft side but everything in it is wrapped in plastic bags.  Serves several purposes:  keeps contents dry in case of rain, keeps TSA hands off the actual clothing, clothes wrinkle less.  I’ve been doing this forever.

2 minutes ago, cram33 said:

Thanks all. For the record when my suitcase got damaged I still had several trips left in it.

At the time, the disregard for the luggade was so blatant, cruisers speculated they were trying to break illegal booze containers 🤦‍♂️.

Will just find a nice suitcase and not worry then.

Luggage and smuggling containers have both improved pretty significantly over the last few years.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, cram33 said:

Been on 137 cruises and never had a bag crushed.  Way more damage to my bags when we fly, versus cruising.

9 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm still curious what port the OP referred to.  I would imagine the luggage handling is the port's longshoremen, not RC crew.

The two times ours were damaged, we were at Port Everglades.  First time with the handle, it was damaged between drop off and delivery to the cabin. 

The second time, when the cracked the case, it was after they picked it up at the cabin and when it was placed in the terminal.  

And it is not specific to Royal.  Friends of ours had one damaged on one of our Celebrity cruises.  They gave them a $400 OBC for that one.  That cruise was from Port Everglades also. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, poocher said:

We use soft side but everything in it is wrapped in plastic bags.  Serves several purposes:  keeps contents dry in case of rain, keeps TSA hands off the actual clothing, clothes wrinkle less.  I’ve been doing this forever.

I bought a clear dollar store shower curtain. I cut in half.  I use this to line our 2 soft sided suitcases as we have rain soak things at the airport and at the pier.  Also have had Delsey and they have held up well. 

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Look what exploded out of the crew’s service elevator?  🤣  This was on our Freedom May 2014 Eastern Caribbean.  We just happen to pass by….

image.thumb.jpeg.a113b3214aab864b5017fa1976509c94.jpeg

I saw something similar once ... walking down the hall towards our room, quite early on embarkation day, we heard THUMP, THUMP, THUMP.  A door to a service staircase was open, and we could see someone THROWING suitcases down/over the stairs.  ZERO concern for the items.  

We saw one of our suitcases in the pile, so we reached in and took it.  

If my husband wasn't so against it, I'd carry on our suitcases.  We pack light, and I don't mind hauling them around for a few hours.  

2 hours ago, poocher said:

We do the same after having all our clothes ruined by someone else luggage that had red wine bottles that had broken after being tossed into the huge bins.  Wrap everything in garbage bags.

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

The two times ours were damaged, we were at Port Everglades.  First time with the handle, it was damaged between drop off and delivery to the cabin. 

The second time, when the cracked the case, it was after they picked it up at the cabin and when it was placed in the terminal.  

And it is not specific to Royal.  Friends of ours had one damaged on one of our Celebrity cruises.  They gave them a $400 OBC for that one.  That cruise was from Port Everglades also. 

Us, too! Luggage was delivered cracked one time and without a wheel the next. Both at Port Everglades after the restart this past year. Royal replaced them both. These were both relatively new IT hard-side luggage. I now carry-on all luggage.