Which side of the ship for a Hawaii cruise?

phabric

Thinking on taking a 32 day Hawaii roundtrip out of  LA on the Sapphire.

I like to sit on the balcony during the day.  I prefer my chair in the shade.

Which side port or starboard of the ship to book a cabin?  

45 minutes ago, phabric said:

13 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

It does not really matter because you are going in two directions, one on the way there and an opposite direction on your return to LA.  So, two different exposures.

And get a covered or partially covered balcony.  Either side.

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I couldn't find a 32 day Hawaii cruise on Sapphire.  By any chance the cruise also goes to the South Pacific Islands too?

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Can I ask what cruise? The only 32 day cruise I find on the Sapphire is from Buenos Aires to L.A. in March 2023.

39 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I couldn't find a 32 day Hawaii cruise on Sapphire.  By any chance the cruise also goes to the South Pacific Islands too?

It is April 5, 2024 - 32 day South Pacific & Hawaii on the Sapphire being released  August 9 for Elite and August 10 for others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there is a correct side mostly because your exposure to land masses is a tiny bit of the cruise. We were on the starboard side our last Hawaii cruise, which was great in Lahaina because we faced out away from land and saw dozens of whales frolicking about having their Norma Desmond moments with the tourists on whale tours. But we are on Sapphire this fall and so far we are scheduled for Kahului, not Lahaina, so side of the ship would not really matter.

14 minutes ago, phabric said:

It is April 5, 2024 - 32 day South Pacific & Hawaii on the Sapphire being released  August 9 for Elite and August 10 for others.

The reason I asked was to find out if the cruise was a South Pacific cruise with some stops in the Hawaiian Islands.  I have a similar 35 day HAL cruise booked out of San Diego next year.  On my HAL sailing, after leaving French Polynesia, there is a seven day straight run back to San Diego.  Since it was seven straight sea days, we booked a port side balcony cabin so we can have some cocktails on our balcony and watch the sun sets.  I don't know if your Princess cruise would have the same run back to LA from FP but it's worth considering IMHO.  Whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The reason I asked was to find out if the cruise was a South Pacific cruise with some stops in the Hawaiian Islands.  I have a similar 35 day HAL cruise booked out of San Diego next year.  On my HAL sailing, after leaving French Polynesia, there is a seven day straight run back to San Diego.  Since it was seven straight sea days, we booked a port side balcony cabin so we can have some cocktails on our balcony and watch the sun sets.  I don't know if your Princess cruise would have the same run back to LA from FP but it's worth considering IMHO.  Whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise!

Won’t know the actual itinerary until Princess releases the 2023/2024 itineraries on August 9/10. Ports - Honolulu, Maui, Pago Pago, Apia (Somoa), Suva, Dravuni Island, Tahiti (Papeete), Moorea.

I had looked at Princess 28 day Hawaii, Nov 2022, March 2023 on the Crown roundtrip from LA and there was 7 sea days before reaching back to LA.

If you go to post #10, in that thread you can see 2023/2024 itineraries.

47 minutes ago, phabric said:

I looked at your itinerary, WOW....that's a lot of sea days!

Going over, you will be traveling in a Southwest direction.  Coming back in a very North/Northeast direction.  It looks like you will have more sea days on your return.  

I can only speak to Honolulu (starboard side will be against the pier/terminal).  Lahaina will drop anchor and "swivel", but most likely starboard side will be facing Lahaina for most of the day.

2 hours ago, phabric said:

Being someone that very much enjoys sitting on the balcony, we’d opt for a covered aft-facing balcony, preferably towards the center so you can use the side panels to shield you from the sun depending on where the sun was at the time. 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phabric said:

In that case side of the ship would not matter. You are mostly sailing north & south. Also once you cross the equator the sun will be north of your ship. Have fun. By the way I have been to Fiji in 2008 on a Princess cruise.

Edited by skynight

23 hours ago, phabric said:

Neither. Look for a cabin that has overhang from above or is completely covered.

The aft mini-suites are completely covered. They are the last cabins port and starboard.

Some aft balconies can have large overhang from above.

• Like 1