Earliest Flight Out of LAX after disembarkation (San Pedro) Monday

juksing

Hi

I am trying to book a late cruise (Navigator of the Seas) Aug 19-22 2022 and am trying to figure out the earliest I can get a flight out of LAX after disembarkation.  We will be carry-on luggage only and plan on using Uber or Car service and have NEXUS.  We see a wonderful direct flight for 11:40AM  for LAX-YYZ and am wondering if that is way too early, the Monday Aug 22 sounds scary.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

15 hours ago, juksing said:

Hi

I am trying to book a late cruise (Navigator of the Seas) Aug 19-22 2022 and am trying to figure out the earliest I can get a flight out of LAX after disembarkation.  We will be carry-on luggage only and plan on using Uber or Car service and have NEXUS.  We see a wonderful direct flight for 11:40AM  for LAX-YYZ and am wondering if that is way too early, the Monday Aug 22 sounds scary.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Normally, I use Noon as a rough estimate of the earliest one should book a flight out...

However, if you do EVERYTHING right and don't run into anything totally out of the ordinary, 11:40 should be doable...

Carry-on luggage, TSA Pre-check, rolling your own luggage off the ship, Uber to LAX, online flight check-in...and I think you're okay.

When we were on Navigator a couple of weeks ago, earliest self-disembark was around 7:25...If you're among the first in that group (and there will be many among that group since it's a short cruise with a lot of locals with carry-on sized luggage anyway), you should not have a longer line for Customs (as we did disembarking around 9:00).

So, you call an Uber right away and you are in your Uber and on your way by, say 8:00.  It's 20 miles to LAX...and Monday, being a "work day", there is some traffic...But it's only 20 miles, so, even with bad rush hour traffic, it's maybe an hour at the most (barring anything unforeseen--like a MAJOR accident), you are at LAX by 9:00 am...Uber can drop you right at the curb...Plenty of time...

Let's say EVERYTHING goes wrong...They're a little later clearing the ship...Your Uber takes a little extra time to get to you...There's an accident en route, LAX traffic is congested...Still, with TSA Pre-screening and no bags to check and self-printed boarding pass in hand, you can probably get there as late as 10:40 and still not sweat the timing (My daughter flies all the time for business and claims she never gets there more than an hour before her flight and has never missed a flight.

Personally, if the flight is perfect for you, I would book it...It sounds like you knoe what you need to do to take all the precautions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

If your port before LA is San Diego do you think an 11:15 flight would be ok?  I’m thinking there would be no need to clear customs in LA.  

You would clear immigration in San Diego, but you still have to clear customs in Los Angeles as that's only done upon completion of the cruise. That being said, customs clearance is typically very perfunctory but you can't guarantee that you won't be the person upon whom they decide to do an actual check of your bags.

I think 11:15 is tight.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You would clear immigration in San Diego, but you still have to clear customs in Los Angeles as that's only done upon completion of the cruise. That being said, customs clearance is typically very perfunctory but you can't guarantee that you won't be the person upon whom they decide to do an actual check of your bags.

Thanks. I may have to look at another airline.  If I take a later flight I’m 5 or 6 hours sitting at Seatac. That would suck. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Normally, I use Noon as a rough estimate of the earliest one should book a flight out...

However, if you do EVERYTHING right and don't run into anything totally out of the ordinary, 11:40 should be doable...

@Bruin Steve and @scottca075  I trust your opinions on this kind of thing.  Although it's a year off, we'll be arriving in San Pedro (Princess) on Sunday, Jan 7 from Fort Lauderdale (a Panama Canal cruise so probably not a hoard of locals onboard).  My preferred option for a AC flight from LAX to YYZ departs at 1155 and I can book this about a week from now.  Setting aside the possibility of significant and pretty much unpredictable delays on the part of CBP, traffic, earthquakes and plagues of locusts do you think it would be reasonable to book the flight planning a walk-off with our luggage and using a taxi from the port (I'm not too concerned about saving a few bucks on Uber... I just want to walk out of the terminal and get into a car to the airport)?  We have TSA Pre-check.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

@Bruin Steve and @scottca075  I trust your opinions on this kind of thing.  Although it's a year off, we'll be arriving in San Pedro (Princess) on Sunday, Jan 7 from Fort Lauderdale (a Panama Canal cruise so probably not a hoard of locals onboard).  My preferred option for a AC flight from LAX to YYZ departs at 1155 and I can book this about a week from now.  Setting aside the possibility of significant and pretty much unpredictable delays on the part of CBP, traffic, earthquakes and plagues of locusts do you think it would be reasonable to book the flight planning a walk-off with our luggage and using a taxi from the port (I'm not too concerned about saving a few bucks on Uber... I just want to walk out of the terminal and get into a car to the airport)?  We have TSA Pre-check.

IMHO, a 11:55 am flight on a Sunday after arriving in San Pedro is entirely reasonable.  BTW, I find Uber/Lyft more dependable than taxis in LA...but, whichever you choose, departing from LAX, there are no major issues...any of these can drop you off right at the curb in front of your terminal.  Only trips FROM LAX need to deal with the LAX-it lot and shuttles.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

IMHO, a 11:55 am flight on a Sunday after arriving in San Pedro is entirely reasonable.  BTW, I find Uber/Lyft more dependable than taxis in LA...but, whichever you choose, departing from LAX, there are no major issues...any of these can drop you off right at the curb in front of your terminal.  Only trips FROM LAX need to deal with the LAX-it lot and shuttles.

Agree with Steve. Uber vs taxi depends on demand for each.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What are your thoughts on flying out of LAX to SJC on a Friday for a flight at 1:15pm?

The latest that I figure that I can arrive at the airport is probably 11:45am, which should give me 45 minutes to check in and get through security.  I'm going to book the RCL Shuttle service for the Navigator of the Seas.  

On a Friday morning going through rush hour traffic, do you think that we could make it on time on a Friday morning Disembarkment?

Edited by CableKC

7 minutes ago, CableKC said:

What are your thoughts on flying out of LAX to SJC on a Friday for a flight at 1:15pm?

The latest that I figure that I can arrive at the airport is probably 11:45am, which should give me 45 minutes to check in and get through security.  I'm going to book the RCL Shuttle service for the Navigator of the Seas.  

On a Friday morning going through rush hour traffic, do you think that we could make it on time on a Friday morning Disembarkment?

If you're using the RCI transfers the early first shuttle (flights from noon to 1:30pm) to LAX departs at 8:00am.

You might also want to consider doing self-assist (7:30am departure) using Uber/Lyft. If you can manage, this option would not only be less expensive but would give you direct service to your terminal drop off.

We just did the self-assist in January and it was quick and easy.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, njhorseman said:

Customs????

There is no separate customs stop

It's just facial rec and you're good to go

7 hours ago, CableKC said:

On a normal Friday a 1:15PM flight would be easy, any thing after 12PM should be okay. This Friday would be a crap shoot with bad weather on the freeway and flight cancellations across the country.

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

Customs????

There is no separate customs stop

It's just facial rec and you're good to go

While almost all passengers will just be cleared through the facial recognition process USCBP has the right to conduct a customs inspection on any departing passenger...and I've seen it happen. 

9 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I have never seen it at either LA cruise port l

We've been cruising from San Pedro and Long Beach yearly for at least 15 years!

I haven't gotten a speeding ticket for at least thirty five years but I probably break the speed limit every day. Does that mean police departments can't or don't give out speeding tickets any longer?

Just because you haven't personally experienced or seen something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 11:43 PM, Ashland said:

If you're using the RCI transfers the early first shuttle (flights from noon to 1:30pm) to LAX departs at 8:00am.

You might also want to consider doing self-assist (7:30am departure) using Uber/Lyft. If you can manage, this option would not only be less expensive but would give you direct service to your terminal drop off.

We just did the self-assist in January and it was quick and easy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have my elderly parents and my family of 4 for a party of 6.   I know that I can just split the Uber ride into 2 separate cars.  But I prefer to use some type of a shuttle service so all of us can be together.

Edited by CableKC

14 hours ago, CableKC said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have my elderly parents and my family of 4 for a party of 6.   I know that I can just split the Uber ride into 2 separate cars.  But I prefer to use some type of a shuttle service so all of us can be together.

Start with these two, Mickey's Space Ship Shuttle and LAX Airport Express.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, bonaroo1 said:

Earliest flight out of Long Beach Airport after disembarking Princess in San Pedro?  We're looking at an 11:15am?

Sure; it kind of depends on how you plan on making your way from the cruise terminal to LGB.

5 hours ago, bonaroo1 said:

Earliest flight out of Long Beach Airport after disembarking Princess in San Pedro? We're looking at an 11:15am?

11:15AM is pushing your luck a bit. Where is the ship coming from? What day of the week? When? There is a massive construction project coming to the port area soon and no one knows what that will do to traffic and route detours.

If you can walk off by 9AM, maybe 9:30AM and grab a cab right away, you should be okay, but one hiccup can sink you. LGB is a minimum of 30 minutes from San Pedro and boarding for flights closes 15-20 minutes before the departure time, so you have a very tight window.