LGBT or Friends of Dorothy Meet up on Solstice to Alaska

ScottC4746

They've scheduled them at that time for years, so not likely to change.  Not everyone eats that early, so the ones who are able to show up are generally treating it like happy hour.  I've been on cruises where no one showed up, either, so it's not always a must-do.

• Like 1

The gays generally like to eat later. You'll find lots of them at martini bar nightly from anywhere between 6 and 8. Don't worry about the official scheduled meet up times. People just come to martini bar when ready and then swing to dinner later. If you find yon are enjoying the camaraderie of the martini bar, ask about switching your dinner time to later so you can connect with more new friends on the ship. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, letsgogogo said:

The gays generally like to eat later. You'll find lots of them at martini bar nightly from anywhere between 6 and 8. Don't worry about the official scheduled meet up times. People just come to martini bar when ready and then swing to dinner later. If you find yon are enjoying the camaraderie of the martini bar, ask about switching your dinner time to later so you can connect with more new friends on the ship. 

"The gays", lots of "them", perhaps it's just me but I feel like I am reading something that Archie Bunker would of posted.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

"The gays", lots of "them", perhaps it's just me but I feel like I am reading something that Archie Bunker would of posted.  

Yikes. I'm one of them. I state all

of this warmly. Something got lost here. My apologies. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, letsgogogo said:

Yikes. I'm one of them. I state all

of this warmly. Something got lost here. My apologies. 

LOL I am as well and I don't need an apology, I promise, I'm not sensitive, but it did take me aback just a bit...🏳️‍🌈 

• Like 5

Wow a bit of stereo typing for sure.    I guess all the straights like to eat early.   Lots of them will even drink with us gays that choose not to drink at the Martini bar. 

OK..no insult intended - just got carried away.

I'll never forget walking into a large restaurant in Queensland, Au  with a big sign -  No Fags this side  (meaning of course cigarettes)  it did catch my attention.

• Haha 13

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll never forget walking into a large restaurant in Queensland, Au  with a big sign -  No Fags this side  (meaning of course cigarettes)  it did catch my attention.

When I was 19 a friend and I went to visit a friend living in Texas with her fiancé.
We were at our friends soon to be in laws place and we are all British so the one I travelled with said she was going out to have a fag. You can imagine how well that went. I had to explain it to them 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can only imagine.     Ok... really going off topic.

I may be a little off color but I was on a flight once and a lovely British lady next to me seemed very distressed -  I asked if there was a problem.   She explained that she came to America to meet her fiance's parents.   They were at the airport to see her off and said their mouths dropped when she hugged her fiance and said "Keep your pecker up"  as she went through security --- What did I say?    (meaning keep your spirits high).    When I discreetly told her we both had a great laugh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow a bit of stereo typing for sure.    I guess all the straights like to eat early.   Lots of them will even drink with us gays that choose not to drink at the Martini bar. 

Several years ago I was at a pub in Killarney with my daughter and her then fiance.  This was when I was a smoker, and a young fellow at the table next to us outside, saw that I was smoking, he politely asked "may I trouble you for a fag", my daughter was ready to get into a brawl, until I explained it to her.  I went to bed and she and her fiance stayed at the pub and ended up going to a club with the guy and his GF and had a great time.  We still laugh about it to this day.

• Haha 2

Having lived in Ireland for 3 years and Iain being from Scotland there are so many words that have such different meanings.  

I really loved Killarney such a beautiful are of the country,  I hope it hasn't changed much.

57 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

LOL I am as well and I don't need an apology, I promise, I'm not sensitive, but it did take me aback just a bit...🏳️‍🌈 

I am not gay, but adore my gay friend with the great sense of humor. xo

Also, all of the gay men love me because I dress well and am funny too.

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I am not gay, but adore my gay friend with the great sense of humor. xo

Also, all of the gay men love me because I dress well and am funny too.

I told you a long time ago you have all the best traits of Dolly Parton, a bawdy/naughty sense of humor, impeccable taste in clothing, one of you is TrulyBlonde and one of you does not know if she is or not because she is never there when she gets her hair done, one of you is well DDare I say it....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim, again...my apologies. I didn't comment in any way on when straight people eat. My comment was made based on my experience of the Celebrity cruises I have been on. Before my first cruise, a gay travel agent I met on a forum and who was on my sailing had given me some tips on how/where/when to connect with other lgbt on our cruise. He and his husband cruise celebrity exclusively and shared from their experience. Met on embarkation day at the martini bar which is sort of known as a meetup spot. Met about 12 - 16 really nice people who coincidentally or not, all had select dining in order to keep evenings unplanned, and to enjoy cocktails and hanging out for a few hours before going to dinner when ready.  Noticed this same trend on our second celebrity sailing. The gay travelers on these cruises who wanted to connect with other lgbt passengers all somehow knew to find each other this way, and we consistently spotted them all at dinner late, sometimes joining each other and other times having their own date night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Having lived in Ireland for 3 years and Iain being from Scotland there are so many words that have such different meanings.  

I really loved Killarney such a beautiful are of the country,  I hope it hasn't changed much.

Loved it, my favorite towne (pubs) in Ireland.  I will let you know in October, I am heading back to spend time there and in Dingle and Kinsale before a late Oct cruise

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Of course you immediately proceeded to light up a cigar, right??? LOL

bon voyage

Ahhh, language and the sweetness of understanding and interpretation of meanings... one of the things which makes the world feel small, along with music...

Only if more of us would take the time to ask 'what does that mean' before taking uncertain action... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For some context, the OP has previously mentioned that his partner is an "early to bed, early to rise" person, so having early dinner makes sense to them. The OP is planning on enjoying the ship after his partner retires for the evening, so I can see why he's asking the question.

To the OP: I'm sure you'll find people to hang with nightly and have a great time.

I am definitely behind the times with terminology!!! I thought this had to do with The Wizard of Oz!!!!!  I wondered why there would be so many fans of Dorothy on 1 cruise!!!    I googled and found out otherwise!!   🌪️     😂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

Jim, again...my apologies. I didn't comment in any way on when straight people eat. My comment was made based on my experience of the Celebrity cruises I have been on. Before my first cruise, a gay travel agent I met on a forum and who was on my sailing had given me some tips on how/where/when to connect with other lgbt on our cruise. He and his husband cruise celebrity exclusively and shared from their experience. Met on embarkation day at the martini bar which is sort of known as a meetup spot. Met about 12 - 16 really nice people who coincidentally or not, all had select dining in order to keep evenings unplanned, and to enjoy cocktails and hanging out for a few hours before going to dinner when ready.  Noticed this same trend on our second celebrity sailing. The gay travelers on these cruises who wanted to connect with other lgbt passengers all somehow knew to find each other this way, and we consistently spotted them all at dinner late, sometimes joining each other and other times having their own date night. 

No offense take at all..   We generally don't  go to Gay Bar's at home and most of our friends are  and are if I were to look at it probably 80% straight.  

I enjoy meeting all fellow passengers and see other as people of all colors, races and orientations. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, read2learn said:

I am definitely behind the times with terminology!!! I thought this had to do with The Wizard of Oz!!!!!  I wondered why there would be so many fans of Dorothy on 1 cruise!!!    I googled and found out otherwise!!   🌪️     😂

Well you could also got the the Fiends of Bill gathering.   All are welcome but few attend.  You may have to google that one also.

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

No offense take at all..   We generally don't  go to Gay Bar's at home and most of our friends are  and are if I were to look at it probably 80% straight.  

I enjoy meeting all fellow passengers and see other as people of all colors, races and orientations. 

I am not Liberal at all, however, growing up my Mother's brother (my uncle) was gay. It was well hidden in my family and as I got older and figured it out when he moved to SF and lived with another man, that was the reason. He passed away a few years ago and I miss him dearly. I also get offended when assumed because I am not Liberal  that I would have an issue with gay people. Furthest thing from the truth. My Uncle taught me that. He was a fabulous designer too. He taught me about design, fabrics, architecture, etc. This is why I dress so nicely 😉

I live my life to the fullest and everyone else should too. xo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2