Recent experiences with spending a night off the ship in an overnight port?

Vexorg

My wife and I are booked on a cruise in October that includes an overnight stop in Cabo San Lucas, and we were looking at options to spend a night in a hotel on shore while the ship is in port.  While inquiring about this on the Mexico Ports board, one person reported that on a recent Carnival cruise that had the overnight Cabo stop they were informed that they were not allowed to spend the night off the ship, and would not be allowed to reboard if they did.  In the past I've read about people being able to either spend the night off the ship or to meet the ship at the next port as long as they notified the passenger services desk first, but I would be interested to know if anyone has done this recently and what your experience with it was.

On a related note, does anyone know how late the tenders typically run on one of these overnight port calls?

While not Princess, we stayed in Bangkok when we stopped overnight on a Celebrity ship before the pandemic. It was my wife's 60th B-day and we stayed at the Shangri-La Bangkok for the event. We also had a private guide who took us around the area for the two days. We didn't have to notify the staff about our absence and were told it wasn't necessary. Bangkok is about 3 hours away, so that may have been the reason why it was allowed. 

42 minutes ago, Vexorg said:

My wife and I are booked on a cruise in October that includes an overnight stop in Cabo San Lucas, and we were looking at options to spend a night in a hotel on shore while the ship is in port.  While inquiring about this on the Mexico Ports board, one person reported that on a recent Carnival cruise that had the overnight Cabo stop they were informed that they were not allowed to spend the night off the ship, and would not be allowed to reboard if they did.  In the past I've read about people being able to either spend the night off the ship or to meet the ship at the next port as long as they notified the passenger services desk first, but I would be interested to know if anyone has done this recently and what your experience with it was.

On a related note, does anyone know how late the tenders typically run on one of these overnight port calls?

You will need to fill out a form at GS, most likely.  Make sure to check with a supervisor at GS, because there are a lot if new employees.  Some Government’s do not allow it, due to security or customs, so be sure.  You also may need your passport to show the hotel and reboard. Make sure to lock it up in a safe at the hotel.

Also, if there is weather and the tenders are not running the next day, it could be a problem. 

Maybe someone that has done this in Cabo can jump in.

If this is important to you, I would ask my TA or Princess planner to request the overnight now.  There is a department that handles this.  Then when you get the written (email) ok from Princess, just print it out and take it with you.  If you don’t get the ok, you have time to fight it.  We did and it was later okayed. 

Edited by jeno
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Right now I don't believe this is being allowed due to Covid protocols.

You could be correct, but I have received a letter to be off the ship for 5 nights and reboard in another country.  You don’t know until you ask.  Good luck to the OP. 

Edited by jeno

8 hours ago, Vexorg said:

My wife and I are booked on a cruise in October that includes an overnight stop in Cabo San Lucas, and we were looking at options to spend a night in a hotel on shore while the ship is in port.

. . . .

---

On a simple overnight in Cabo San Lucas, you  DO NOT need  ANY authorization to stay off the ship. 

On 10/29/2021 we stayed overnight in San Jose Del Cabo.

image.thumb.png.ccca665983fe54ec868fa02fd69487de.png

-- Note:  If we know we will be overnighting off the ship and not returning until later the next day, we usually tell our steward beforehand, as a courtesy FYI.

---

Pre-COVID, typically the Cabo San Lucas tenders ran all night, though with less frequency (perhaps every half hour).  Occasionally we didn't leave the ship until after midnight, returning around 4 or 5 in the morning; the tender would be at the pier waiting for passengers, sometimes returning us to the ship without waiting for more people.

Post-COVID, some ships stopped the tenders in the late-night hours, starting up again sometime early in the morning.  This may still be the case.  Even then, you can stay off the ship all night without authorization.

Hopefully all Princess ships eventually will resume all-night Cabo tenders, if they haven't yet.

---

Edited by RSS from SF

On the Seattle sailings, I always wondered what would happen if in Victoria you just...you know...oh shoot, we're 60 minutes too late for the boat, this is terrible, what are we going to do.  Guess we'll have to stay with our friends in Victoria overnight and take the Victoria Clipper back to Seattle later.  

53 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

On the Seattle sailings, I always wondered what would happen if in Victoria you just...you know...oh shoot, we're 60 minutes too late for the boat, this is terrible, what are we going to do.  Guess we'll have to stay with our friends in Victoria overnight and take the Victoria Clipper back to Seattle later.  

If you sailed out of Seattle and failed to return to that port you would be subject to a fine for violating the conditions of the PVSA.  It's not a cheap fine and it is charged per passenger.

Edit:  Looked it up. The carrier is charged but they will then charge you. @PescadoAmarillo recently paid this fine when she left Ruby Princess in Hawaii. She was aware of the fine but there were extenuating circumstances so she chose to leave the ship.

image.png.b6c9fc08e4868a3e421c7de7933d26e9.png

Edited by Thrak

I don't know of any recent experiences, but several years ago I remember hearing of people who were able to make arrangements to disembark the ship in Victoria on Alaska cruises instead of Seattle or Vancouver.  As far as I know this wouldn't be a PVSA violation for the Seattle round trip or the Whittier to Vancouver itineraries (although those don't generally stop in Victoria anyway) because the disembarkation isn't in a US port.  The main issue with this is that CBSA would need to be available for passengers to clear customs, which isn't always guaranteed.  Given the fact that the Victoria stops tend to be the bare minimum needed for PVSA compliance (some itineraries have stops as short as 3 hours, 9:00-11:59pm) and the ship arrives in Seattle at 7am the next morning I can see why Canadians might just get off in Victoria to save themselves from having to get back from Seattle and cross the border again. 

Edited by Vexorg

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If you sailed out of Seattle and failed to return to that port you would be subject to a fine for violating the conditions of the PVSA.  It's not a cheap fine and it is charged per passenger.

Edit:  Looked it up. The carrier is charged but they will then charge you. @PescadoAmarillo recently paid this fine when she left Ruby Princess in Hawaii. She was aware of the fine but there were extenuating circumstances so she chose to leave the ship.

image.png.b6c9fc08e4868a3e421c7de7933d26e9.png

Getting on the ship in Seattle and leaving in Victoria (Canada) is not a violation of the PVSA.  It screws up the manifest for a closed loop cruise, making more paperwork for the cruise line, but there is NO violation.  EM

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Getting on the ship in Seattle and leaving in Victoria (Canada) is not a violation of the PVSA.  It screws up the manifest for a closed loop cruise, making more paperwork for the cruise line, but there is NO violation.  EM

Hmmm... On further reflection it seems you would be correct. D'Oh!  Thanks for catching my error. It would be a violation if you disembarked in a different US port but not a Canadian port. Sorry. Old person moment there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Hmmm... On further reflection it seems you would be correct. D'Oh!  Thanks for catching my error. It would be a violation if you disembarked in a different US port but not a Canadian port. Sorry. Old person moment there.

It's obscure, esoteric legal stuff.  It's all good.  I'm just glad people online know about PVSA.

In 2018 we did a British Isles cruise with an overnight in Dublin Ireland.  We stayed overnight in a castle ( I've always wanted to do that)  we did not need to inform anyone on the ship that we would not be there overnight but be did inform our cabin steward that he would not need to clean the cabin in the morning.  I agree with the above posts that if the ship moves overnight you  might need to inform Princess regarding a deviation.

57 minutes ago, sandyoftheseas said:

In 2018 we did a British Isles cruise with an overnight in Dublin Ireland.  We stayed overnight in a castle ( I've always wanted to do that)  we did not need to inform anyone on the ship that we would not be there overnight but be did inform our cabin steward that he would not need to clean the cabin in the morning.  I agree with the above posts that if the ship moves overnight you  might need to inform Princess regarding a deviation.

So cool. What castle?  Did you enjoy it?

TIA

It was Clontarf castle it is in the city of Dublin we went on a tour with Princess and had them drop us off about a 2 blocks from the castle.  The castle has and old part and a newer addition.  The reception is in the new part and our room a king suite with the huge bed,  dormer roof  and claw footed tub  was in the old castle part and was amazing!  We were able to explore all the nooks and crannies of the castle and had dinner there.  The next morning we went to Trinity college for the Book of Kells that tour we booked on our own. Then we walked around Dublin on our own.  Princess had a free bus in town that we got on to take us back to the ship. I loved the experience it is one I will never forget!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sandyoftheseas said:

It was Clontarf castle it is in the city of Dublin we went on a tour with Princess and had them drop us off about a 2 blocks from the castle.  The castle has and old part and a newer addition.  The reception is in the new part and our room a king suite with the huge bed,  dormer roof  and claw footed tub  was in the old castle part and was amazing!  We were able to explore all the nooks and crannies of the castle and had dinner there.  The next morning we went to Trinity college for the Book of Kells that tour we booked on our own. Then we walked around Dublin on our own.  Princess had a free bus in town that we got on to take us back to the ship. I loved the experience it is one I will never forget!

Thank you!

Op your question is an interesting one to me. I hope  you are able to do an overnight in Cabo.

I would never think to do this while on a cruise ship. I would not  want to pay for a hotel and meals off the ship when the ship is right there waiting for me with all the food that I want and a cabin a.k.a. hotel room that I’ve already paid for. But perhaps you got this cruise very inexpensive and a hotel for one night won’t break the bank??

Edited by arizonaperson

23 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Op your question is an interesting one. I hope  you are able to do an overnight in Cabo.

I would never think to do this while on a cruise ship. I would not  want to pay for a hotel and meals off the ship when the ship is right there waiting for me with all the food that I want and a cabin a.k.a. hotel room that I’ve already paid for. But perhaps you got this cruise very inexpensive and a hotel for one night won’t break the bank??

It's not about trying to do the cruise as cheaply as possible. It is about doing something special that the ship cannot provide. It is no different than on a port day where you pay $$$ to go ashore and take an excursion, buy souvenirs, or sample the local cuisine at a local restaurant. All of these activities are additional to what you have already paid for if you stayed on the ship instead of going ashore. Staying ashore overnight is not really different than leaving the ship to take an excursion - both allow you to experience the local culture which can't be done while on the ship. And in some cases, it could be a bucket-list event, or a chance to celebrate a special occasion such as a honeymoon, an anniversary or a birthday.

For instance, my wife had always wanted to visit Asia, most notably Bangkok where a good friend of hers was from. For her birthday we stayed at a riverside hotel and enjoyed the evening ambiance while strolling along the shoreline, and dining at a table at the edge of the water. It was an experience we still treasure many years later.  

Below are two images taken from our corner suite on one of the upper floors. When the hotel realized that this date was the same as her birthday displayed on her passport, we were upgraded to a much nicer room than we had reserved. Class act by the hotel!!! 

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

I would never think to do this while on a cruise ship. I would not  want to pay for a hotel and meals off the ship when the ship is right there waiting for me with all the food that I want and a cabin a.k.a. hotel room that I’ve already paid for.

---

On some overnight stops, we have stayed off the ship in a hotel when it makes sense for us to do so -- especially to experience something special that we would not be able to do by staying on the ship.

We have done this in:

• [Posted above ] Cabo San Lucas:  Balcony overlooking the church in San Jose del Cabo's colonial old town, on a Friday night full of locals' festivities

• Rio de Janeiro:  Oceanfront on Arpoador Beach, next to Ipanema, to watch and enjoy the incomparable Arpoador sunset with real Cariocas (Rio natives), and in the morning have a beach buffet breakfast with all the fresh tropical fruit and freshly baked pao de queijo (cheese bread) that I could eat

• Buenos Aires:  Balcony on the grand Avenida 9 de Julio, immediately in front of the Obelisco de Buenos Aires

• Valparaiso Chile:  Took a bus to Santiago to stay in a balcony room overlooking the vibrantly busy downtown streets, so that after an incredible late dinner we could walk around the Plaza de Armas

• Puerto Vallarta:  On a Christmas Eve -- Downtown oceanview balcony, to enjoy the Christmas Eve observations  (bucket list item at the time -- to celebrate Nochebuena in Mexico) and to have a long extended rooftop dinner at the incomparable Hacienda San Angel, then after dinner having their 13-person mariachi band serenade me to my favorite canción Veracruzana

Note:  On this trip the ship left Puerto Vallarta the same night, and we rejoined the ship the next day in Manzanillo.  (I secured Princess' preauthorization a few months in advance to do this.)

• [Upcoming] Honolulu:  For my milestone birthday -- Waikiki Beach oceanfront balcony overlooking Queen Kapiolani Beach to enjoy the sunset, with a full Diamond Head view to watch the sunrise the next morning

FOOD note:
All the above overnight stays included [will include in Honolulu] wonderful dinners (and some breakfasts) with local specialty dishes that we would not get from the ship.

-----

Edited by RSS from SF

3 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Op your question is an interesting one to me. I hope  you are able to do an overnight in Cabo.

For many of us, it’s not the “deal” , it’s the experience.  For example, on an around the world cruise we spent 12 nights off the ship in various countries to experience things we wouldn’t have seen otherwise.  It has nothing to do with how much we paid for the cruise.  

• Like 1

Got it,for the 3 People that responded .I don’t believe the OP responded. My comment was -I just never thought to do this when I go on a cruise. I go on a cruise  to cruise.when I go on a land vacation I go on a land vacation. Yay to all of you that have done this ,had nothing really to do with expense when I made my comment, well sort of .I just can’t imagine spending money on a hotel which I am assuming is a five day cruise to Cabo overnight ,but I’m not even sure on the length. So I just thought perhaps the OP got a smoking deal on their cruise and they weren’t concerned with spending money to stay in a hotel for whatever the experience be. .I still just can’t imagine wanting to spend the Money for a hotel room and food ,but again just my opinion.  that’s why there’s choices out there in this world and it was just an interesting topic to me.

Appreciate everyone’s response to me ,but this is definitely not about me .this was answering the Op/author to see if it could be done. Again I just find the topic very interesting .

I don’t think any more comments need to be directed at me we need to go back to the original person. 

I like the explaination that doing an overnight is just an extended excursion……for some people, at some time, this is exactly what they want to do for reasons important to them. Viva La difference!