Surely its just a window you can open?

gordylad

We had our first infinite balcony on Beyond in June. I had an idea what it was like but until you try it, it's difficult to truly know what its like. 

I didn't know (or had forgotten) about the air conditioning turning off when the window is down, thus we often had the window up to keep the room cool.  We kept the dividing doors fully open all the time and it does make the room much bigger.  

All in all I quite liked it and it wouldn't stop me booking this type of cabin again 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, julia said:

Hmmmm..  just wondering who's winning that "beaten to death" race...

A. Dress code horse?

B. Drink package horse?

C. Covid mask/test horse?

D. Infinite balcony horse?

E. Can I make a 9:45 flight horse?

It's close folks, really close.  🤣😯

What about gratuities? Did you forget?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, gordylad said:

lol.......no its not me in the video and yes its a brand new video.....I don't know what Celebrity was thinking of.......cost cutting? who knows.....

Doesn't seem like cost cutting. Seems like it would cost more to build and then all the maintenance etc. for the electric shade and window

9 hours ago, julia said:

Hmmmm..  just wondering who's winning that "beaten to death" race...

A. Dress code horse?

B. Drink package horse?

C. Covid mask/test horse?

D. Infinite balcony horse?

E. Can I make a 9:45 flight horse?

It's close folks, really close.  🤣😯

You forgot the complaining about threads horse. I believe you won that "beaten to death" race.:classic_rolleyes:🤣 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Doesn't seem like cost cutting. Seems like it would cost more to build and then all the maintenance etc. for the electric shade and window

It's both cost cutting and revenue enhancing. They are selling what is, in essence, an Oceanview cabin at Balcony prices. What you refer to as maintenance is actually just occasional repair which balcony cabins are not immune to. Finally, balcony maintenance involves almost constant washing, painting and varnishing. IV maintenance doesn't require the latter 2.

• Like 1

I’m putting my hand out to be slapped, here, but - would it have anything to do with fuel-saving measures, in that the windows would be closed for a lot of the time, whereas open balconies would cause more of a drag?  🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Don't mention this around here. You might be accused of pre-tipping! Or worse. 😉

Sorry no pre tipping involved. The deal is "you bring us 2 footstools, we give you 💲10." Payment by result but they have never failed to deliver😂

25 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I’m putting my hand out to be slapped, here, but - would it have anything to do with fuel-saving measures, in that the windows would be closed for a lot of the time, whereas open balconies would cause more of a drag?  🤔

At a Q and A with a captain on Silhouette a passenger asked "what is the optimum number of balcony cabins". His reply "zero". Qualified by "they are great for passengers, and a nightmare for the bridge team controlling the ship".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It will be interesting to see what happens as the window mechanisms start to age and/or be affected by the weather. Just imagine being half way across the Atlantic with the window stuck open and no Aircon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

It will be interesting to see what happens as the window mechanisms start to age and/or be affected by the weather. Just imagine being half way across the Atlantic with the window stuck open and no Aircon.

😱😱

8 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Hopefully they planned for this and routine maintenance will do the trick to keep them operational.

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Disappointed???

Were anyone to be disappointed, then it is deservedly so, as that goes to point out that someone did not review X's home page and see what the ship and its' amenities are.

Booking blindly without context is a real disappointment for sure, then some of us do not worry about it, too much, just as long as we are on a ship.

Not too sure how many of us would book and fully pay for a product which we did not know about for such amazing amounts and for such an anticipated amazing time only to be surprized that our homework or lack there of yielded an undesirable cabin???

Who knew???

bon voyage

Why have a discussion board at all if we can ascertain all nuance and detail from the slick coated marketing materials? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Why have a discussion board at all if we can ascertain all nuance and detail from the slick coated marketing materials? 

IMO, we can...

Yet, when a poster indicates they were disappointed in the IV's as they did not know it...

What discussion, at that point, is there to be had???

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

IMO, we can...

Yet, when a poster indicates they were disappointed in the IV's as they did not know it...

What discussion, at that point, is there to be had???

bon voyage

Discussion is optional on your part. We aren't agents of the company and don't have to recitify complaints or dissapointments.  That said, I enjoy a number of different cruise pages and Vlogs. They present different opinions, analysis, perspective, and sometimes literally different viewing angles of the same thing.  Those experiences, and my own choice of whose word to trust and lend weight to, gives me much more full detail than marketing info can.  Marketing information is often incomplete, only painting the highlights and never the cons. 

In my opinion making a totally informed decision just based on marketing photos and company talking points is not possible. The nuance of other opinions and real life experiences will help flesh out the rest. 

And it's still possible to do research, make an informed consumer education, and still have a reality not live up to the expectation. No need to excorciate someone or dismiss their opinion in that scenario. Changing ones mind upon new information or experiences is a healthy approach, I am sure you would agree. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

It these cabins were called "Oceanview Breeze", then I would agree with you. When Celebrity calls them Infinite Veranda, the expectation that there might actually be a veranda is warranted.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

It these cabins were called "Oceanview Breeze", then I would agree with you. When Celebrity calls them Infinite Veranda, the expectation that there might actually be a veranda is warranted.

I often see them compared to "Florida rooms" which in the 1970's and 1980's meant screened in patios (hard roof and walls) but from the 90's onwards has meant a completely outdoor space with screened roof and walls (birdcage).  The first time I saw an Infinite Veranda compared to a Florida room or sun room I thought of my grandparents places from the 80's 

• Like 3

I think the OP posted video is fair enough, although I have only been able to watch the whole thing by going to You tube itself where the video is about 17 mins.

Rather than repeat myself, my comments and photos about why people may or may not like the IV's start at post #59 on this thread.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

Regardless of age or any other issue the most important issue is how do you use the balcony.

On sea days we relax on ours for around 4 hours a day sitting on chairs with high backs that recline and with room for footstools (💲10 tip on day 1 gets us 2 of these) and a decent size table. Whilst we are on the balcony the rest of our cabin stays at the temperature we have set i.e the air con stays on.

In addition one person can sit on the balcony whilst the curtains/drapes remain closed, very useful if one of you is a late riser.

We have total control over when we do or don't open the balcony doors, especially important on port days.

None of the above possible with an Infinity Balcony.

We do not need high back chairs and footstools to be comfortable on the veranda. Chairs on the IV balconies are very comfortable and the table is quite adequate for wine glasses and a cheese plate.

While we are on the IV our room AC stays on as long as the top window remains closed. When the window is open, the AC turns off, as it should. However, if you close the doors to the veranda, the room temperature will remain quite comfortable.

If one person wants to sit on the balcony while the other remains in bed, more likely than not when you are opening/closing curtains and doors, that will awaken your partner. Nothing sneaky or quiet about that.

We have total control over the IV doors, opening and closing whenever we want. No more important on port days than on sea days. IV window closings by the bridge are not inconvenient nor bothersome. In fact, we enjoy sitting on our balcony during rainstorms and inclement weather. Even if we could, we would not open the window during these times.

Basically, everything is possible with an Infinite Veranda. 

• Thanks 1

My husband and I dislike balcony cabins for a variety of reasons yet have ended up in some because at the pier we have found that our carefully selected low deck amidships interior cabin has been switched to a balcony (variety of reasons).

We do not have any use for the balcony and don't use it when it is forced upon us. Then there are the selfish passengers who keep their balcony doors open at all times to the detriment  (temperature and noise  - SLAM!!) of the cabins around them 

The last time this happened was on the Constellation in February when our preferred interior cabin was taken for quarantine purposes. We were given a balcony on Deck six, slightly forward of amid ship. We actually had a conversation about making liking an oceanview cabin that had a window the size of the glass slider in a balcony cabin.

The infinite balcony cabin  sounds perfect with the large window.

While the video notes that the AC shuts off when the window is open, I would like to know if shutting off of the one AC system does protect the temperature in the surrounding cabins.

Does anyone know if the motor noise of opening the blind or the window  can be heard in a next door cabin. 

16 hours ago, gordylad said:

Infinite balcony.......not for me

You knew It before you sailed and if you didn’t know you should have read all the post on the subject since the Edge and Apex where new. If you want a balcony buy a suite. 
IMHO thes cabins want be going away the cruise lines like the lability of closeing the window anytime the choose.

I think the couple posted so you would watch there YouTube video, yes the subject has been beaten to death. But it is what makes Cruise Critic So very good.