Is it easy to use an Ipad on the ship?

mrstmaxx

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it's been discussed before, but we are thinking of purchasing a tablet so my husband can watch videos on YouTube.  He typically uses his phone but it's so tiny we'd like something larger   My question is, do you connect the tablet the same way we connect our phones to MedallionNet?    Thanks for any hints/help/guidance.    

Yes, an iPad works but the problem is the internet on the ship rarely supports streaming.   Just getting email can be challenging at times. 

Where are your cruising?  I have seen some good reports when in Caribbean but since the restart I have been on pacific coast, Mexico and Alaska cruises.  It was so bad on the Alaska cruise I don't think we will pay for internet or the plus package again since Princess is not delivering

That aside, DW and I have really enjoyed cruising since the restart, just not the internet.

5 minutes ago, symui said:

Where are your cruising?

This is the million dollar question. If sailing to Alaska just give up. The service will be so poor you will be lucky to be able to get email.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your responses.  I'm assuming you connect the same as we connect our phones?  Our next cruise is Northern Cal Coastal but we have Mexico, Cal Coast, Caribbean, New England upcoming in the next year.  We generally just use our phone but the phone was getting a little small for my husband to watch YouTube so we are thinking of buying an iPad.   And yes we just got back from Alaska and the internet was practically non-existent.  So frustrating!!!  I have a Kindle and just use it to read so don't need to worry about connecting that.   

2 hours ago, mrstmaxx said:

Thank you for all your responses.  I'm assuming you connect the same as we connect our phones?  Our next cruise is Northern Cal Coastal but we have Mexico, Cal Coast, Caribbean, New England upcoming in the next year.  We generally just use our phone but the phone was getting a little small for my husband to watch YouTube so we are thinking of buying an iPad.   And yes we just got back from Alaska and the internet was practically non-existent.  So frustrating!!!  I have a Kindle and just use it to read so don't need to worry about connecting that.   

I use both my IPad and IPhone.  They work exactly the same in

on the ship.  

I bring my tablet and my phone but didn't really use the tablet that much last cruise. Both worked great for streaming in the Caribbean on the Enchanted although I had downloaded loads of material in anticipation of not having a good connection.  

With Medallion Net on the 100% booked Ruby Princess in late 2019/ early 2020, I was able to stream on my iPad all the way from California to Sydney and around Australia and New Zealand (even the South Island). On the same ship at about 80% full between California and Hawaii in March 2022, I could not, and could barely book airline tickets home. The iPad works great; recent Medallion Net doesn’t. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 6:51 PM, Potstech said:

I also take my ipad  mini on cruises with us.  We download books and several movies So no need for streaming service.

Mrs Ldubs takes her iPad on all of our trips.  Like you, she downloads a bunch of movies to avoid issues with wifi.  She downloads from Netflix.  I would assume YouTube has a similar feature but am not sure because we don't have that subscription.