Big wind difference between Forward front-facing balconies vs Forward balconies?

marcushart

I have a choice (and only these choices unfortunately) between the Marina deck front-facing deluxe obstructed balconies or the Emerald deck forward obstructed balconies (E110, E107, E108). The Emerald deck forward is well...pretty forward but it isn't directly in the brunt of oncoming wind as the ship sails. Will it make a difference at all? Asking because if it doesn't make a difference I might as well get the Marina deck balcony as it is bigger but I may also not enjoy my time out on the balcony depending on ship speed and conditions...decisions decisions. Any advice?

I really enjoy those huge forward facing balconies.  When ship is doing 20kts it will be breezy on the front of the deck but the back of the deck is OK.  Do be careful opening the cabin door when the balcony door is open.  I've not stayed on those Emerald deck rooms.  The reason all these rooms are obstructed is due to the rail being constructed of steel rather than plexiglass.

• Like 1

We did a forward balcony once, really great experience , yes windy also we had a huge rain storm and the door leaked from the rain pounding on it .

My main issue is I am short 5ft 2 ins at best and when seated on balcony I could see nothing .

4 hours ago, marcushart said:

I have a choice (and only these choices unfortunately) between the Marina deck front-facing deluxe obstructed balconies or the Emerald deck forward obstructed balconies (E110, E107, E108). 

I was in E107 on a cabin crawl on a Royal class ship, and I marked it in my travel notes on my phone as excellent. Nice big balcony. As others have noted, the balcony has a metal front, rather than glass. I'm short, but I don't mind that. A cabin in this location has always been on my list of cabins to book on Royal class if we can't get our favorite cabin.

I would also book one of the front-facing cabins on Marina or Lido. We like far forward, high in the ship because we enjoy the motion. You get a lot of that, if there's any to get. Again, metal front balcony and it's windy at sea, but I don't mind either of those.

• Like 1

We were in L103 on the Regal and the balcony is HUGE! However, the rail is also metal (like the forward side balconies) but when standing the views are beautiful. If they had tall Director chairs for these, that would be lovely.

16 minutes ago, nini said:

We were in L103 on the Regal and the balcony is HUGE! However, the rail is also metal (like the forward side balconies) but when standing the views are beautiful. If they had tall Director chairs for these, that would be lovely.

My hubby doesn't like to sit still, so that usually frees up one of the balcony chairs so I can stack them. When I stack them, I can see over the metal rail. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

My hubby doesn't like to sit still, so that usually frees up one of the balcony chairs so I can stack them. When I stack them, I can see over the metal rail. 

Very cool! Thanks for the tip. We loved Regal L103, however, when you are 5'3", it is tough. The people next door to us had a hung up a hammock... loved that.

6 minutes ago, nini said:

Very cool! Thanks for the tip. We loved Regal L103, however, when you are 5'3", it is tough. The people next door to us had a hung up a hammock... loved that.

I feel your pain - I was 5' 3" at top height, and I'm only 5' 2" now. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I feel your pain - I was 5' 3" at top height, and I'm only 5' 2" now. 🤣

What is funny, is that most of my friends and other classmates were just about my height when we were in high school. So, I thought that was "normal" and never thought of myself as on the shorter side. Maybe it was the water......... LOL

• Haha 1

Depends upon how fast the ship is moving. I had one of the forward-facing minisuites on Royal. When we crossed the Atlantic, it was so windy, the entire cabin vibrated and we couldn't use the balcony (let alone get the door open). When the ship slowed, it was fine.

We were in one of the forward-facing cabins with a balcony on the Sapphire Princess. It was one of the ones that Princess later decided was too windy for furniture, so there was not any. Princess reclassified those cabins as premium ocean view cabins. It was a great cabin for viewing glaciers in Alaska. The wind was not too bad since the ship was not moving forward very fast.