The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 9th, 2022

richwmn

It's a sunny day,  temperature 7 C.

This morning our electricity was turned off for 45 minutes, we had not been notified that would occur,  

Since  New  Years Day,  I am keeping note of the books that I read, so far my tally is 37.

@Heartgrove hope the medication will help Sam.

@marshhawk  your new hairstyle is really lovely.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I want to tell you about one of my favorite books.  I am thinking that those who live in Ohio would appreciate it.

And Ladies of the Club

was a 1000+ page book-it starts the story right after the Civil War.  Two young graduates are invited to become members in a woman's literature club.  The book follows their lives, the members lives, their children's lives, their grandchildren's lives, their loves, their marriages, their dreams  along with the political history of the state of Ohio, plus the history of what was, how things were modernized, so much history and information,  there is at least one character, that everyone can relate to.  And when I finished it, I was crying like a baby.  I did not want to say good bye to my friends (the characters).

At the same time that I was finished with the book, and tears were streaming down my face, a friend walked in to the house, while I was at home recouping from having my appendix removed.  She thought I was in pain and wanted to call 911.  "It's not," I sobbed "from pain, its because i finished the book," and broke down all over again. 

Ann, I think I need to try this one again.  I started it back in the 80s when it was first published, but found it to be a bit of a slog, so gave it up.  There weren’t review sites back then, but now I’m reading reviews that say get past the first 100 pages or so and it’s unforgettable.

Like you, I’ve read complete Lord of the Rings series many, many times, so our taste is similar.

Thank you for telling us about this favorite.

• Like 6

OK, I'm going to let you know a secret-

Jersey has the best peaches......

I've lived in Georgia for more than 40 years, and I haven't found one peach worth a darn since I've lived here.  A Peach should be sweet, and so juicy that when you take a bite of the warm fuzziness, juice should drip from your mouth down your chin.  You should be a mess after eating a peach.

Just my hungry wishful opinion....I want a good peach.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon, I'm late getting here today.  

It turned out to be a perfect day to make the Apricot Riesling Jam, because it's only in the mid 60's F (and was predicted to be mid 70's). Thursday will start heating up again.   I got 2 batches out of the apricots that DS brought over from their tree, he and DDIL are pleased!  

Also the tree service that the HOA hires was out today to take down 2 trees behind our house that have worried us.  That takes care of that, so I'm a happy camper today.

All this talk about Nancy Drew reminded me of a meme I saw on FB yesterday.  Something about adult mystery lovers all read Nancy Drew in their youth.  I also have a collection of Nancy Drew books. 😉  I still love a good mystery, so would love any suggestions.

Ann @marshhawkadd me to those who love your hair!  

Jack @HeartgroveI hope the pain meds help Sam -- so hard to see our fur babies decline.  Good that your DB is holding his own, I hope DSIL can get more help.

DD and I both got caught up in Joanne Fluke’s Hannah Swensen mysteries.  They are silly as all get-out, but it’s a joy to spend time with Hannah and her friends and family.

Also…Karen Menuhin is writing old school style mysteries that are fun.  European settings, mysterious Russian countesses, stuff like that.   

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

In Texas, best peaches are Fredericksburg peaches.  They are sweet and juicy.

It has been interesting seeing what books are being read by Dailyites.  I've read many of the series mention beginning with Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames in elementary school up through Janet Evanovich and Joanne Fluke.  I've also made note of other authors who I have added to my wish list.

I am also saddened by the news about the 31 year old crewman who went overboard from the Koningsdam yesterday.  This afternoon, the Coast Guard suspended their search.  Both the Koningsdam and the Eurodam joined the seach until the Coast Guard released them early this morning.

We met so many wonderful crew on our recent Koningsdam cruises, and I can't imagine how they are feeling.  Counseling is being offered to any crew or passengers who need it.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

I guess that everyone here knows that I was an engineer and, although retired now, am still enchanted with anything having to do with engineering (even if it has nothing to do with airplanes).  So I'm currently reading De Architectura, a series of 10 books written in the first century BCE by the Roman architect/engineer Vitruvius.  Not strictly about architecture per se (about which I have NO interest) but treatises on Roman engineering of that era including mathematics, water mills, siege engines, aqueducts, early pneumatics and hydraulics etc.  Amazing what they had already developed and implemented 2000+ years ago!  Oh yeah, those 10 books are in digital form on my tablet, so's they can accompany me on my upcoming cruises.

As to fiction, I'm a great fan of Ken Follett.  Well, most of his stuff but not all.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

In Texas, best peaches are Fredericksburg peaches.  They are sweet and juicy.

It has been interesting seeing what books are being read by Dailyites.  I've read many of the series mention beginning with Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames in elementary school up through Janet Evanovich and Joanne Fluke.  I've also made note of other authors who I have added to my wish list.

I am also saddened by the news about the 31 year old crewman who went overboard from the Koningsdam yesterday.  This afternoon, the Coast Guard suspended their search.  Both the Koningsdam and the Eurodam joined the seach until the Coast Guard released them early this morning.

We met so many wonderful crew on our recent Koningsdam cruises, and I can't imagine how they are feeling.  Counseling is being offered to any crew or passengers who need it.

Lenda

Good morning.

That is very sad news Lenda of the 31 year old crew member of koningsdam who went overboard yesterday.

Condolences to his family.

Another 77°F+ sunny day forecast for today.

Pauline and her whole office are going to the funeral of their work colleague this morning.

He had asked for the city Catholic church for his service which is about 300 metres from the office so the staff can walk in minutes to the service.

Take care friends and enjoy every day the best you can.

Graham.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, aliaschief said:

A beautiful day in Scotland. Great countryside vistas and we stopped at some distillery’s. In Dornoch tonight staying in quaint Dornach Castle. Just a wonderful experience.

Dinner is ordered and having a venison dish and gals partridge.

Thanks for report and post.

image.thumb.jpeg.4259e5ba0005dfa022cfb4ecafc07c0d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e67567fb238845b734b82b690b5351f4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.053f49e0bda6979b31db24f6f95e86a1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c12c9d8d30c3d98998da5c73df5d3d15.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.57f83ce16b8a24c22d6165de524dc703.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.47dcf7719583339c11c437026efe630e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4320b3f967185506bd95a496871124c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb09c94c37875e935e930bdc949ce941.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22ef2a9b1de18d9a8ca33fb9faf04743.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36b62a59f66d938e66b3fc26a33bcfdd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a359093b3386171da7acd1b818539433.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f71e50841710e639ff33f03a3094c33c.jpeg

You are lucky with the weather this week.

looking forward to meeting you in Rotterdam

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Sad news.  Prayers for his family and friends and for the wonderful crew that worked with him.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

OK, I'm going to let you know a secret-

Jersey has the best peaches......

I've lived in Georgia for more than 40 years, and I haven't found one peach worth a darn since I've lived here.  A Peach should be sweet, and so juicy that when you take a bite of the warm fuzziness, juice should drip from your mouth down your chin.  You should be a mess after eating a peach.

Just my hungry wishful opinion....I want a good peach.

Morning Ann!  I have to tell you these peaches from the Peach Truck straight from Georgia have the most wonderful juicy flavorful peaches.  Maybe it is where you are buying your peaches that they don't have enough flavor and juice for you.  Sometimes they aren't even ripe when coming from the grocery store.  We ate some Monday night that we cut into eighths.  Delish!

• Like 5