Pre boarding vaccination requirements.

cruisy2

10 hours ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Sorry but Holland and the Canadian government rules dictate that an Arrive Can submission us the made at all Canadian ports of embarkation. 

GOC policy aside, DW and I have had many HAL cruises and I'm quite familiar with the website, but I've not seen any policy statement requiring an ArriveCAN submission for all cruises embarking in Canada. If this policy does exist for all such cruises, and I've somehow missed it, could you provide a link?

On 8/9/2022 at 7:20 AM, cruisy2 said:

just need to clarify that the regulations require us to undertake a medical supervised covid test 24/72 hrs prior to boarding depending on the particular test.

Princess spells all the current testing requirements out on its dedicated webpage:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/vaccine-testing-requirements/

Be sure to check this page for updates closer to your embarkation date, as the rules are constantly changing. 

Edited by lots-of-km2

Royal's website also states that passengers fill out ArriveCan when ARRIVING in Canada, I think thats just part of their rules page just to inform all passengers whats required when you ARRIVE in Canada, not to depart.

Hmm Having just posted, I may stand corrected I just read on another thread that someone coming into Canada by land border and staying a couple days pre-cruise had to fill out a second ArriveApp prior to boarding, so I'm not sure now. Taken from another thread:

"Hi,

I just completed my ArriveCAN for entry (driving) into Canada.  Since I am staying in a hotel pre-cruise, the ArriveCAN website says I must complete a second entry for the cruise. 

"You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission. "

23 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

Hmm Having just posted, I may stand corrected I just read on another thread that someone coming into Canada by land border and staying a couple days pre-cruise had to fill out a second ArriveApp prior to boarding, so I'm not sure now. Taken from another thread:

"Hi,

I just completed my ArriveCAN for entry (driving) into Canada.  Since I am staying in a hotel pre-cruise, the ArriveCAN website says I must complete a second entry for the cruise. 

"You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission. "

The second submission is only if it is required for your cruise. If you are boarding in Canada, and not returning to Canada on the cruise, or not leaving Canada on the cruise, you don't need another ArriveCAN submission.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The second submission is only if it is required for your cruise. If you are boarding in Canada, and not returning to Canada on the cruise, or not leaving Canada on the cruise, you don't need another ArriveCAN submission.

Thank you, it makes no sense to do a 2nd one once you've already arrived. I live in Vancouver and our cruise leaves out of Vancouver so its not an issue for us until we fly home at the end of the cruise, but I can so see how confusing it all is for people coming into Canada.

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

GOC policy aside, DW and I have had many HAL cruises and I'm quite familiar with the website, but I've not seen any policy statement requiring an ArriveCAN submission for all cruises embarking in Canada. If this policy does exist for all such cruises, and I've somehow missed it, could you provide a link?

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#proof 

9 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

Thank you, it makes no sense to do a 2nd one once you've already arrived. I live in Vancouver and our cruise leaves out of Vancouver so its not an issue for us until we fly home at the end of the cruise, but I can so see how confusing it all is for people coming into Canada.

I'm not sure why there is such confusion. In the simplest terms, you need to make an ArriveCAN submission for each time that you arrive in Canada. So if you fly into Canada from another country, then embark on a cruise that will take you out of Canada and then return to Canada, you will be arriving here twice. So, two arrivals, two ArriveCAN submissions.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'm not sure why there is such confusion. In the simplest terms, you need to make an ArriveCAN submission for each time that you arrive in Canada. So if you fly into Canada from another country, then embark on a cruise that will take you out of Canada and then return to Canada, you will be arriving here twice. So, two arrivals, two ArriveCAN submissions.

Agreed, thats that I thought but I think some people assumed they arrive by air or by land fill out the app then have to fill out a 2nd one before boarding the ship eventhough they haven't left Canada since the original arrival. I think its just a confusing time to travel lots to remember lots of rules to follow I can see how people can be overwhelmed, myself included, lol

1 minute ago, turnin50 said:

Agreed, thats that I thought but I think some people assumed they arrive by air or by land fill out the app then have to fill out a 2nd one before boarding the ship eventhough they haven't left Canada since the original arrival. I think its just a confusing time to travel lots to remember lots of rules to follow I can see how people can be overwhelmed, myself included, lol

They do if they are getting on a cruise ship and doing a Vancouver-return, for example.

3 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Nowhere on the linked page you have provided does it state that an ArriveCAN submission is required for a cruise that remains in Canada or exits Canada without returning. 

The title of the document should give you the necessary clue: the subject matter is travel to Canada, not within or from Canada.

Travel to Canada: Requirements for COVID-19 vaccinated travellers

17 hours ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Sorry but Holland and the Canadian government rules dictate that an Arrive Can submission us the made at all Canadian ports of embarkation. 

24 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

LINK

4A743ACE-DB89-43F3-937F-450FC094BD94.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Nowhere on the linked page you have provided does it state that an ArriveCAN submission is required for a cruise that remains in Canada or exits Canada without returning. 

The title of the document should give you the necessary clue: the subject matter is travel to Canada, not within or from Canada.

Travel to Canada: Requirements for COVID-19 vaccinated travellers

After reading much discussion on this subject, I decided to experiment with our existing ArriveCan account. Next month we are taking a one-way voyage on Cunard from Québec City to New York. It was impossible to complete ArriveCan, even by making up a date within 72 hours.  This is not surprising since the information quoted above makes that clear. The ship is going on to England and not returning to Canada for a year so I couldn't even fool around with that scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

If the GOC decides to continue the use of ArriveCAN, I hope that they'll give consideration to multi-entry receipts. For the person who flies into Vancouver and boards an Alaskan RT cruise, it's silly that two separate submission, possibly just hours apart, would be required. The app could easily be amended to include, for example, up to 3 entries in a 3-week period.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If the GOC decides to continue the use of ArriveCAN, I hope that they'll give consideration to multi-entry receipts. For the person who flies into Vancouver and boards an Alaskan RT cruise, it's silly that two separate submission, possibly just hours apart, would be required. The app could easily be amended to include, for example, up to 3 entries in a 3-week period.

Easily and successfully amend the ArriveCAN app?  You're pulling our legs!!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

After reading much discussion on this subject, I decided to experiment with our existing ArriveCan account. Next month we are taking a one-way voyage on Cunard from Québec City to New York. It was impossible to complete ArriveCan, even by making up a date within 72 hours.  This is not surprising since the information quoted above makes that clear. The ship is going on to England and not returning to Canada for a year so I couldn't even fool around with that scenario.

Excellent point, one I wish I'd thought to make! It doesn't really matter how you want to interpret policy spread over dozens of pages, if the app won't let you enter a cruise departing Canada and not returning, then you clearly can't make a submission.

Although the red highlighting is mine, the first page makes it very clear that the app is all about entering Canada:

IMG_3372.thumb.PNG.f040d179d5550f53366662f1541f0f80.PNG

50 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Fully vaccinated essential travellers are able to reuse an ArriveCAN receipt for essential travel. So there is already an exception that allows multiple use. It seems to me that a similar exception might work for the situation you outline. Perhaps a blanket exception that allows use of the same receipt for 3 or so days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broberts said:

Fully vaccinated essential travellers are able to reuse an ArriveCAN receipt for essential travel. So there is already an exception that allows multiple use. It seems to me that a similar exception might work for the situation you outline. Perhaps a blanket exception that allows use of the same receipt for 3 or so days.

As you say, they've already seen the benefit of allowing essential travellers to have multi-entry receipts. I suspect that they never considered non-essential travellers needing to make consecutive submissions in a short time frame.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Excellent point, one I wish I'd thought to make! It doesn't really matter how you want to interpret policy spread over dozens of pages, if the app won't let you enter a cruise departing Canada and not returning, then you clearly can't make a submission.

Although the red highlighting is mine, the first page makes it very clear that the app is all about entering Canada:

IMG_3372.thumb.PNG.f040d179d5550f53366662f1541f0f80.PNG

Fouremco, passengers leaving POV are using Canada Place as destination and the app is accepting same.

10 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Fouremco, passengers leaving POV are using Canada Place as destination and the app is accepting same

Of course it will accept Canada Place as the destination.  It’s a Port of Entry in Canada!

1 hour ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Fouremco, passengers leaving POV are using Canada Place as destination and the app is accepting same.

But it isn't a destination. For cruises leaving Canada and not returning, It is only the port of embarkation.

Edited by gnome12

1 hour ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Yes, for cruises that exit and then return to Canada, such as a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise. But not for a Pacific Coast or Hawaiian cruise that exits Canada but does NOT return to Canada. 

As everyone keeps trying to explain to you, the app is only required for people who will be arriving in Canada. That's it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, for cruises that exit and then return to Canada, such as a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise. But not for a Pacific Coast or Hawaiian cruise that exits Canada but does NOT return to Canada. 

As everyone keeps trying to explain to you, the app is only required for people who will be arriving in Canada. That's it! 

If I recall correctly, a few weeks ago someone posted in the Canadian section that Viking (I think) required an ArriveCAN QR code for a cruise exiting Canada. It suggested using Canada Place. I believe the reason the cruise line had the requirement was for the proof of vaccination. Not sure if that was ever verified.

31 minutes ago, broberts said:

If I recall correctly, a few weeks ago someone posted in the Canadian section that Viking (I think) required an ArriveCAN QR code for a cruise exiting Canada. It suggested using Canada Place. I believe the reason the cruise line had the requirement was for the proof of vaccination. Not sure if that was ever verified.

Yes, I remember the post and the follow-up discussion. Essentially the same as here, saying Viking's policy was off base, as all they were looking for was proof of vaccination. IIRC, Viking didn't ask for ArriveCAN receipts during embarkation. Either way, GOC policy didn't require a submission.