Oosterdam testing new perk in Neptune Lounge

Torquer

We are on Oosterdam right now; this is our first cruise since covid.  We were quite surprised to find out there are complimentary drinks in the Neptune lounge for a couple hours every evening (not just on the first night of the cruise).  There is a decent selection of wines, liquors, beers, and soft drinks.  It is similar to pre-covid times where there was an honor bar in the Neptune lounge where you wrote down your room number and what drink you took, and then were billed for it.  The only difference is that it is free now!  The concierge said this is an initial test for the fleet, and if it is popular, it could become standard fleet-wide.  This is a really great perk, for those of us paying a lot of money for our suites; I guess if this became standard, they might raise prices for the NS/PS suites to compensate...we will see.

By the way, Oosterdam is in great shape and has aged well since covid.  The ship has 1400 passengers on it this cruise, although it seems less than that, and has a nice uncrowded feeling.  The crew is wonderful.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Torquer said:

It is similar to pre-covid times where there was an honor bar in the Neptune lounge where you wrote down your room number and what drink you took, and then were billed for it.  The only difference is that it is free now! 

The honor bar was in action on N. Statendam last month.

Overall, good news...but with many people getting the drink package...

We were on the Oosterdam in June and the Neptune Lounge was doing this also. And it was during lunchtime too, not just cocktail hour. Not a huge selection of wines and beer but IIRC a red, two whites, and sparkling. I didn’t check out the beer selection. Even though we had the beverage package, it was nice having it so close by. 

Hooray, that’s one of the perks that we enjoyed while being in a suite on Celebrity.

We were even allowed to take a glass of wine from the Suite Lounge into the dining room. It is great to see HAL trying it out, hopefully expanding it to all day long as well.

Edited by Dunmore2
  • Like 2

Sounds like an excellent plan that will bring Holland more in sync with other cruise lines. This wouldn't affect us .......... we'd love to see complimentary soft drinks and water.

Edited:   Just re-read the original post and see that soft drinks were included, too.  Fantastic!

Edited by kdakda
addition

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That is the least they could do for those that pay a hefty price for those suites.  It would be interesting to see how many actually have a drink package already though.

All the more reason for HAL to do it - minimal cost to them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That is the least they could do for those that pay a hefty price for those suites.  It would be interesting to see how many actually have a drink package already though.

Last cruise we used our drink package in the Lounge - very convenient - and filled our mini-fridge.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is nice to hear.  We keep booking Neptune Suites because once you go suite you can't go back!  We love the Neptune Lounge and getting to know our concierges and wait staff.  Having a private lounge is just such a nice perk, it will be really hard to go back to a verandah suite.  That being said, the Neptune suites ARE really expensive, so this added perk of complimentary cocktails is a nice bonus.  I travel with someone who is not a big drinker (I am not either, but enjoy having a cold beer.)  This means that doing the math on the Have It All plan vs. without has another variable.

We're booked on the SA/Antarctica 22-day leaving on 12-19-22 and look forward to enjoying this new perk.

39 minutes ago, Tucson Traveler said:

This is nice to hear.  We keep booking Neptune Suites because once you go suite you can't go back!  We love the Neptune Lounge and getting to know our concierges and wait staff.  Having a private lounge is just such a nice perk, it will be really hard to go back to a verandah suite.  That being said, the Neptune suites ARE really expensive, so this added perk of complimentary cocktails is a nice bonus.  I travel with someone who is not a big drinker (I am not either, but enjoy having a cold beer.)  This means that doing the math on the Have It All plan vs. without has another variable.

We're booked on the SA/Antarctica 22-day leaving on 12-19-22 and look forward to enjoying this new perk.

Sure they are nice.  I’ve been in one.  It’s just not worth the money to me personally.  So really, you can go back 😛.

• Haha 1

I wish they would print one or two copies of a more fully featured newspaper for the Lounge - with BIG letters DO NOT REMOVE FROM LOUNGE.   Maybe put on a stick like some restaurants do or big ring to discourage people from taking it out.    Cost minor, but would be nice to read the news in the morning.

• Like 1

We also discovered this new feature on our June cruise on the Oosterdam. I happened to go in one late afternoon and saw others getting drinks. I asked the concierge and he told me that they were offering the beverages for free. There was no written notice and I think others were probably unaware that they could get drinks at the lounge.

9 hours ago, SAPMAN said:

I wish they would print one or two copies of a more fully featured newspaper for the Lounge - with BIG letters DO NOT REMOVE FROM LOUNGE.   Maybe put on a stick like some restaurants do or big ring to discourage people from taking it out.    Cost minor, but would be nice to read the news in the morning

Absolutely agree.  This could be done as well in whatever "library corner" that is available on the ship.