Viking Zurich to Paris Early April

Jack E Dawson

We are booked on the Viking River Cruise from Zurich to Paris starting April 5th for 11 nights. Currently holding our place with $25 deposit. This will be our first ever river cruise and were enticed by promotions offering free airfare (Chicago) and heavy onboard credit. However, we are having some second thoughts and would appreciate advice as we transition from Ocean to River cruising. 

1. Is the weather going to be too cold to enjoy alfresco dining, sitting on the observation  deck and sidewalk cafes. 

2. We are a little turned off by being in a hotel the first 2 nights and last 2 nights (packing and unpacking). Will these hotels be in  good locations?

3. We are also responsible for lunch and dinner and drinks those 4 days. Now wondering if this is still a good value despite the promotions.

Thanks

Jack

We did this trip in early August 2019 and really enjoyed it. We also added Viking's Geneva and Zermatt pre-cruise extension on the front end. That was a wonderful 4 days.

Unfortunately, Viking doesn't always use the most centrally located hotels. On our trip, it was the Renaissance Tower Hotel in Zurich and Le Meridien Etoile in Paris, though they sometimes use other hotels as well. Both hotels were in more of a business/convention area rather than a central tourist location. The good news is that public transportation in both areas was easy to use. If not comfortable with that, taxis are always an option. There were several good restaurants within easy walking distance of both hotels. Though we would have liked a more central location, it really didn't impact us in a negative way.

I don't see lunch and dinner on your own as a negative. It's a great opportunity to sample local cuisine, which people on cruises sometimes neglect to do. Though Paris and Zurich are expensive, there are restaurants and markets within a wide range of price options. 

Weather will be chilly at night and probably in the 50s and low 60s during the day. Generally, light jacket and sweater weather, especially if you're used to Chicago weather. To me, the big benefit of doing this intinerary in April is you may encounter fewer tourist crowds.

As I recall, you are offered at least one included Viking tour in both Paris and Zurich so you need to factor that into the equation when assessing value. At the end of these tours, you don't need to take their coach back to the hotel but can stick around in the tourist areas then make your own way back to the hotel at your leisure. There will also be several paid tour options offered by Viking if you choose to partake. The Viking on-site host can also be helpful with transportation and restaurant recommendations.

I wouldn't hesitate to go!

Edited by lucky cal
typo
  • Like 1

Hotels will vary. We sailed in this past July - the hotel in Zurich was the Sheridan West Zurich, a tram ride away from the old city center, but in a nice "locals only" section of town. 

In Paris, we stayed at the Pullman Montparnasse. Also a nice hotel in a little-travelled tourist section of town, but easy access to the Metro/cabs/etc. You could also walk to many good bistros and the Montparnasse Tower which locals say is the best views of the city (because you can't see the Tower itself!).

I would expect chilly weather then though. 

it would probably be the packing/unpacking that would put me off here. That is one of the reasons we like cruise ships

weather will be cool(er) not hot.  Maybe some rain along the way. 

we have done that stretch of river BSL-AMS (with the now defunct Crystal) and loved it 

The Viking rooms are smaller than you think.  Mark one out on your floor at home.  You would have to be an efficient packer before you leave   "oh just bring it" would not be a phrase you would use 

You could easily spend a week in Paris on its own (if you haven't been there before). If this is a return trip, then fine, otherwise you would want to extend the Paris stay by more than a few days 

19 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

1. Is the weather going to be too cold to enjoy alfresco dining, sitting on the observation  deck and sidewalk cafes. 

You will need a jacket. Expect any temperature between 4 Celsius early morning and 22 Celsius on a sunny afternoon. Alfresco dining is unlikely as April can be rainy and quite windy. Early April is unsettled weather.

notamermaid

23 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks lucky cal, good information especially the point about not taking the coach back to the hotel in Paris and Zurich. 

Jack

We also took this trip in August and had a wonderful time. The hotel in Zurich offered a free pass for the tram, which stops right in front of the hotel and takes you right downtown. The included tour of Zurich was first rate. The pre-extension in Geneva and Zermatt included a first class trip on the Glacier  Express train across Switzerland. I highly recommend the extension if available.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

You will be there Good Friday, Easter, and Easter Monday. It’s probably a good idea to check what will be open/closed those days.

Don’t worry about packing and unpacking for the hotel nights. Using either carry ons, or packing cubes set up a couple days worth of clothes for the first stay and just leave the remainder of your clothes in the suitcase. We typically put clothing in our carry on in order to be good for a couple days should our checked luggage go astray. Do the same thing when you are repacking to get off the ship.

Thanks CPT and gentlemancruiser, good advice.

We typically tank-up at the hotel breakfast then skip lunch when traveling to help offset European food costs or else by a baguette and some cheese. In any case, the price of wine in Europe is a great offset.

Jack

Europeans often think restaurant food in the USA  is cheaper than it really is.

To the price quoted on the menu in the US should be added a tip of at least 20% and state sales tax and sometimes city taxes are added when one pays.

Americans often think restaurant food in Europe is more expensive than it really is.

The price on the menu includes taxes; if a service charge (usually 10% sometimes 12.5%, much less seen 15%) is shown and added to the bill then no tip is necessary. If Americans then add their usual 20% tip on top, locals think they're crazy and the diners go away complaining how expensive the meal was. In the unusual occasion a service charge is not added, then 10% tip is usual.

Edited by pontac
to correct a spelling error
  • Like 3

Actually if a meal and service anywhere in the world is halfway to being acceptable then we don’t quibble and we’ve been to some really out of the way places. Although some years ago after a meal at an establishment on Loch Lomond and our meal was totally acceptable this is what was said to the proprietor and it was Scott to Scott. When asked by the proprietor did you enjoy your meal - answer ‘it was totally inadequate, I’ll prepared and vastly over priced’ all in an extremely strong highland accent. The guy walked out without paying! The proprietor just waved it away but another customer called the police.

Learning how different countries food outlets work is required otherwise you fall flat on your face.

We are in Paris on that cruise now. Viking has us at Hotel du Collectionne about 20 min walk from Arc de Triompe. Beautiful hotel just not many restaurants close, and hotel charges $35 for hamburger. 
Every year is different on weather, but we took Paris and the Heart of Normandy tour in April. In Paris we were disappointed that No sidewalk cafes were open, trees bare, and it was 40-50 degrees. 
Our hotel in Zurich will be the Renaissance Tower. 

Thanks Milling73. We are scheduled for that cruise on Sept. 10th. However our hotel in Paris is The Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile. Did your original paperwork mention that hotel? Just wondering if they changed the Paris hotel.  Can you tell me more about the ship swap and if you missed any excursions? Did you do any of the paid excursions in Paris? If so how did you like them?

Hello everyone, my wife and I have a hold for the last half of July. 

They are asking for insurance deposit up front (or within 14 days of reservation) which is not refundable.   Is the Viking insurance package reasonably priced or should we look for alternatives.   

Also, the rivers are low right now and coaches are the alternative.   This would be a disaster.   Are the rivers ALWAYS low in July August?   Just don't know.

Finally, we are adding two more nights in Paris after the cruise, anyone else doing that?   

Thanks to anyone that wants to weigh in.

Rick

Hello Jack:   Yes, we just came back from a land/sea tour of Alaska and had to deal with living out of suitcases for about five days.   Never fun, but we have found a bit of planning ahead reduces the frustration.   This will be our first river cruise also, and very much looking forward to it.   

I rarely buy trip insurance from the cruise line because (a) their policies don't cover supplier default, (b) their policies are non-refundable [Allianz lets me shift a policy from a cancelled cruise to something else, and that keeps the lower age-bracket on the premiums], (c) I have found Allianz really good to work with on the three occasions I made a claim.

Jack,

Really hope you have great weather, because I just booked the same cruise on the same date.  We were in Venice on May -11 last year, and the weather was hot then and throughout our ocean cruise. So we're hoping for some nice cool weather in April!  Hopefully the Rhine and Moselle will be full and lovely then.

Look forward to meeting you aboard! 

Susan

22 hours ago, slammer9876 said:

Are the rivers ALWAYS low in July August? 

No, it varies. I would call it on the low side, generally, in August. July closer to mean water levels. Really low is not normal in July. Really low is getting more frequent on the Danube in August. Last year we had flooding in July.

notamermaid

We sailed on the Rhine and Moselle in early August 2019. No issues with water levels on those rivers during the summer 3 years ago. However, time marches on and so will the affects of climate change. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2023 with the Seine in June and the Douro in October.

On Paris to the Alps - Viking. We left Paris by bus Monday to Trier. Arriving boat around 6 pm. 
Tues and Wed (today) boat sailed on Moselle. 
Tonight we are informed that we will leave our boat tomorrow morning, by bus to Koblenz then on for a “scenic panoramic BUS DRIVE  to meet our new boat in Strasbourg. We were not scheduled to ge in Strasbourg until Sun. So as we understand things we remain on boat as hotel. All excursions by bus. 
If that is correct our 12 day Paris to the Apls trip is 4 nights hotel, 8 nights boat, 10 days of bus and 2 days sailing. 
Again anyone taking Rhine / Danube trips in next few weeks …be aware of river levels and postpone your trip