Real crab in MDR?

baelor

I am wondering whether the crabcakes and other things that include crab meat (e.g., soup) use real crab or imitation crab.

I suppose the question could be broadened to any other food as well.  

Insight appreciate.  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, baelor said:

I believe it’s real crab when you can find some in the crab cake.

Anyone who's ever had Maryland crab cakes in Maryland would have serious doubts about the authenticity.

Edited by footzz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, footzz said:

Anyone who's ever had Maryland crab cakes in Maryland would have serious doubts about the authenticity.

As a Marylander, I really don't know what they use. However, having tried them on a few sailings out of Baltimore, I stopped ordering them when on the menu. Seemed like they were using the imitation stuff as the texture was crab unlike.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I honestly don’t care if it is crab or imitation crab.  All that I know is that I always order the crab cakes and enjoy them.

Me too. Maybe one day, if I ever get the chance to try a real Maryland crab cake, I will change my mind, but for now I will keep ordering them (I usually order two from that stock first-night menu).

• Like 1

For the sake of being totally transparent, this question was motivated by a YouTube video I saw that reviewed tons of MDR dishes, and the diner cut into the crab cake and stated immediately that it was imitation crab based on appearance (and then texture after eating).  I wasn't sure whether the assessment was accurate, hence the question.

Edited by baelor

12 minutes ago, baelor said:

For the sake of being totally transparent, this question was motivated by a YouTube video I saw that reviewed tons of MDR dishes, and the diner cut into the crab cake and stated immediately that it was imitation crab based on appearance (and then texture after eating).  I wasn't sure whether the assessment was accurate, hence the question.

Enjoy your cruise and the crab cakes!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, footzz said:

Most "Maryland Crab cakes" in Maryland are really bad because they are cheap imitations like on the ship. All filler. Little crab. 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Most "Maryland Crab cakes" in Maryland are really bad because they are cheap imitations like on the ship. All filler. Little crab. 

I have had some good ones and some bad ones in Maryland.  We have a local restaurant here (a long way from Maryland) that serves the best homemade crab cakes I've ever had.  They use a minimal amount of breading - just enough to add some seasoning and hold it all together.  They area seared and broiled at high heat so the outside is crispy but the inside is juicy and tender.  And of course made with real hand-pulled crab meat.  They aren't cheap - over $30 per cake - but worth it.  

For those who have never had a "real" Maryland crab cake: here is what is what goes in 1  and 1/2 lbs of picked crab meat (this includes the lumps from the back fin area and claws) to make twelve crab cakes:

1 cup mayo (Hellman's is preferred)

1 egg white (used to help bind those lumps of crab)

1 tablespoon parsley

1 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp cayenne OR 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

4 tablespoons cracker crumbs 

The cakes need to be refrigerated for at least fifteen minutes to hold together to stand up to be brushed on each side with butter and then broiled for five minutes on each side.

RCCL serves crab flavored bread cakes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1