Covid testing - Cruises visiting Greece

SVBing

Greece has had an uptake in covid, so that may be why they are only requiring testing from cruise ships.  Other than that, you can enter Greece by plane etc. and not have to test.  Remember, that anything can change, but these new "rules" go into effect on September 5, 2022.  Greece made these decisions, so we either comply, do not cruise, or hope things change.  I hear you loud and clear!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, jelayne said:

Greece sometimes does it own thing.  They want cruise ship passengers tested so the cruise lines either require testing or don’t get permission to dock.

Our cruise is out of Barcelona beginning Oct. 15 on Regal Princess.

What is so frustrating is our cruise visits one port in Greece, and from the current Princess Cruise Line Rules for Greece,  we must test 2 days before cruise and it must be an in person not an online proctored test.  

So if we test 2 days before cruise start,  we will have to figure out somewhere to do so in Barcelona since we fly in from the U.S. and arrive on the 13th.  Then, we cruise for 7 days till we actually hit 

a port stop in Greece.  That is 9 days from the test.  How can that be a deterrent from Covid???  UGH!!!

Then I read  Greece's governmental site : https://travel.gov.gr/#/

It states this:  Furthermore, as of Sunday 01.05.2022, all travellers arriving in Greece, regardless of their country of origin, are no longer required to display a valid certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection (PCR or Rapid Antigen test).

and later specifically for cruises:  

7. What is the situation with cruise ships?

As of 14.05.2021, cruise restrictions have been completely removed, always imposing very strict protocols that apply to these activities.

Is there something I am missing that talks more about having to test if you are coming in on a cruise ship.  I would love to see where Princess is getting the idea that we need to test?  

Fingers crossed by October they will at least let us do an online proctor test again!

26 minutes ago, blobby113 said:

I think it’s only cruises originating in Greece, I.e. where you embark from a Greek cruise port, where you have to test.

Different cruiselines have different rules, and their rules can be more restrictive than the country's rules. Most cruiselines implemented a big change for early Sept.   NCL's  applies to embarkment in Greece, but I believe Princess is for visiting Greece.  

Covid is still around and rules will be changing..... rules might tighten up or might relax.  Who knows what this fall/winter season will bring.   If you want to cruise, you need to be able to accept that and deal with the changes as they arise.

Edited by mapleleaves

From the Princess website FAQ,

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

updated on 15th August, I believe it is embarkation. I didn’t bother looking if this also applied to the unvaccinated. There is also a mention that this applies until 5th September, but this date I think refers to CDC advice. I’m hoping Greece changes its rules before October 1, when we board in Athens, as a PCR two days before embarkation is problematic for us.

Edited by blobby113
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, Lastdance said:

Greece has had an uptake in covid, so that may be why they are only requiring testing from cruise ships.  Other than that, you can enter Greece by plane etc. and not have to test.  Remember, that anything can change, but these new "rules" go into effect on September 5, 2022.  Greece made these decisions, so we either comply, do not cruise, or hope things change.  I hear you loud and clear!

On 8/21/2022 at 6:14 PM, blobby113 said:

I think it’s only cruises originating in Greece, I.e. where you embark from a Greek cruise port, where you have to test.

In the Viking Cruise website they include test for cruises visiting Greece , as well.as of Sept 6/22 

39 minutes ago, dog said:

In the Viking Cruise website they include test for cruises visiting Greece , as well.as of Sept 6/22 

Do you have a booking with Viking because when I looked there, it seems you need to have a booking and get into that and then they have additional resources/info on testing requirements. 

On 8/21/2022 at 6:59 PM, blobby113 said:

From the Princess website FAQ,

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

updated on 15th August, I believe it is embarkation. I didn’t bother looking if this also applied to the unvaccinated. There is also a mention that this applies until 5th September, but this date I think refers to CDC advice. I’m hoping Greece changes its rules before October 1, when we board in Athens, as a PCR two days before embarkation is problematic for us.

It appears that Princess is alone in requiring testing for originating, ending, and visiting Greece ports. 

I found this on RCCL website just now:

For All Sailings Departing on or after September 5, 2022 from Italy that visit Greece 

Guests 12 years of age and older must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen test taken within 48 hours before boarding day, or PCR test taken within 72 hours before boarding day, regardless of the duration of their cruise.

Guests younger than 12 do not have any testing requirements.

Required testing for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, must be completed by a healthcare professional such as your doctor or pharmacist. Telehealth tests are also accepted, but must be completed with a supervised video visit.

Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense. 

So, need a test to visit Greece now with them, but it can be online proctored.

Edited by Steelers36

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It appears that Princess is alone in requiring testing for originating, ending, and visiting Greece ports. 

Celebrity also requires testing for Greece whether you embark there or visit it during the course of your cruise.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, I did not realize from the snip that proctored tests are not being allowed. That does seem different.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:14 PM, blobby113 said:

My cruise departs from Rome, but goes to Greece.  It requires the two-day prior proctored test, as it stops at two ports in Greece.  This rule is from the government of Greece.  Beginning September 5, and depending on your cruise, if you do not have a port in Greece you can just take your own unproctored test and share a photo...very easy.  Just remember that it always depends on the countries that you are visiting, along with their own regulations.  These can easily change at any time, so hopefully things keep improving.  My plan is to take the antigen test in Rome two days before my cruise, but I am hoping that this changes, as I do not cruise until the middle of October.  I prefer the antigen test, as PCR tests seem to have more positive results for various reasons.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blobby113 said:

The cruise companies don’t appear to know what’s going on. There don’t seem to be any official links to Greek government websites. Have a look at the posts on TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k13949291-Athens_Embarkation_COVID_Testing-Cruises.html

The Viking cruise website refers to the Greek government- not posting on cruise requirements.

It is clear at this time. A test is needed to visit/ embark if going to Greece by ship.

pharmacies are the place to get an in person test.

I don’t see what the big deal is by having to test. Most pharmacies will have an option to do a supervised test if required. Countries are free to impose whatever restrictions they wish. 

However not going to lie but I’ll be gutted if test I/we positive when as we are so looking forward to our cruise.