What I don’t understand about Celebrity & surge protection

cruisestitch

31 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Am I the only one who things that a "surge protector" isn't an obvious item to bring on a vacation? I can honestly say I've never brought any kind of extension cord, power strip, or anything of the like on a vacation. In the days of USB charges, why? You can get 2 USB slots out of one charger and there should be at least 2 outlets per room. How many chargers do you need plugged in at once?

I know power cords and extension cords are often recommended items on here; but most people don't take those on a vacation. So there's no reason to put it front in center in someone's face when they book. The FAQs of prohibited items is a perfectly fine place. I also wouldn't consider bringing a drone or skateboard on a vacation. But clearly someone has so they have to say somewhere not to. 

Not all ships have dedicated USB outlets.  Some ships have only one usable AC outlet.  I understand the need for many, if not most, to try to expand the number of outlets that are usable for them.

• Like 1

Just now, Honolulu Blue said:

Not all ships have dedicated USB outlets.  Some ships have only one usable AC outlet.  I understand the need for many, if not most, to try to expand the number of outlets that are usable for them.

you don’t need a USB outlet. You bring a plug that goes in a standard outlet that has usb slots. Most people do not bring extension or power cords on vacation. Maybe most people on this website. But no, that is not a normal ‘bring on vacation’ item like a swim suit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Most people do not bring extension or power cords on vacation. Maybe most people on this website. But no, that is not a normal ‘bring on vacation’ item like a swim suit.

Why would anyone presume what someone else needs for their vacation?  I have a medical device that I need power for, and I bring cords to make sure I have what i need.  I take them to hotels, cruise ships, airbnb, etc. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Why would anyone presume what someone else needs for their vacation?  I have a medical device that I need power for, and I bring cords to make sure I have what i need.  I take them to hotels, cruise ships, airbnb, etc. 

I don't presume to know what YOU need. 

The OP was "and why is the fire danger not spelled out clearly on one’s booking confirmation?"

And the answer to that is that surge protectors are not a common travel item. You would never complete a booking if they threw everything you couldn't bring into the booking confirmation. I am sure it is in the cruise contract along with 5 million other things most people don't bother to read. 

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

My dad also brings his own extension cord for a medical device. We do use a Celebrity extension cord while on the ship. His luggage with the extension cord has never be sent to the naughty room in 20 cruises.

• Thanks 1

You guys lost me a long time ago. But I did remove the corded hub (marked as cruise ship friendly, no surge protector) from my Amazon cart, and instead purchased a plain old outlet extender. So while I don't follow the technical details, I am comfortable that I will be able to charge my laptop, phones, and watch safely with no risk of confiscation. Appreciate the advice.

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Am I the only one who things that a "surge protector" isn't an obvious item to bring on a vacation? I can honestly say I've never brought any kind of extension cord, power strip, or anything of the like on a vacation. In the days of USB charges, why? You can get 2 USB slots out of one charger and there should be at least 2 outlets per room. How many chargers do you need plugged in at once?

I know power cords and extension cords are often recommended items on here; but most people don't take those on a vacation. So there's no reason to put it front in center in someone's face when they book. The FAQs of prohibited items is a perfectly fine place. I also wouldn't consider bringing a drone or skateboard on a vacation. But clearly someone has so they have to say somewhere not to. 

I'll say that "surge protector" isn't even an obvious thing to a lot of people.

Does your extension cord/power strip have a surge protector?

"A what"

A surge protector

"It has a switch, is that the same thing?"

I have to believe that a lot of people called to the naughty room have no idea what they brought onboard, let alone what it was not allowed. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 9:56 PM, techteach said:

The grandson wants to bring his Switch on the cruise, and he says it has a cord that has multiple outlets. ???? I haven’t seen it. All you gamers out there — will it be allowed?

Isn't this a Nintendo thing??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D C said:

I'll say that "surge protector" isn't even an obvious thing to a lot of people.

Does your extension cord/power strip have a surge protector?

"A what"

A surge protector

"It has a switch, is that the same thing?"

I have to believe that a lot of people called to the naughty room have no idea what they brought onboard, let alone what it was not allowed. 

Do you see my point.   With the serious fire hazard, Celebrity and other cruise lines could make it very clear what is and isn’t allowed. And that they should make it very clear what is and isn’t allowed.  A pre-cruise email would be a good start.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:56 PM, techteach said:

The grandson wants to bring his Switch on the cruise, and he says it has a cord that has multiple outlets. ???? I haven’t seen it. All you gamers out there — will it be allowed?

My kids and nieces have brought their Switches with them. Your grandson will know what he needs to be sure it’s charged. 

Just as adults spend some of their downtime aboard on Cruise Critic, and playing games on their phones, kids may find playing video games during their down time is fun. 

Been on 7 X sailings since the restart with successfully getting on with a non-surge extension cord.  We had no idea non-surge extension cords were banned until I read it on here.  Always keep the cord in large luggage, use porters if available but we once arrived after 3pm and the porters shift were over, the XRay person never even opened the bag.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, techteach said:

@MamaFej Thanks so much for your post as I’ve debated about allowing it to go with us. I’m taking my crochet so he can have his Switch. 🙂

And I’ll have my cross stitch. Frankly, I added that part because I anticipated some judgmental reply about kids and video games, and them not appreciating being on a cruise. My kids are extremely grateful, and they enjoy their occasional game time. 

• Like 1

Even on lines that permit extension cords, someone knowingly or unknowingly tries to bring a surge protector onboard.  If you keep your eyes and ears open you will usually find one of the offenders complaining 😁

Image of Yeah, well, they stole my surge protector.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

And I’ll have my cross stitch. Frankly, I added that part because I anticipated some judgmental reply about kids and video games, and them not appreciating being on a cruise. My kids are extremely grateful, and they enjoy their occasional game time. 

I too will have my cross stitch - it’s the only way that Christmas stocking will be finished!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Completely agree.  The other thing about regular USB (aka USB-A) are they already somewhat outdated as almost all new devices released over the past couple of years include a USB-C cable.  USB-A to USB-C Adapters do exist yet that's still one extra thing you have to buy and bring with you.  The reason why most have moved to USB-C is because it can charge faster than reg USB-A so even if one using a USB-A to USB-C adapter, it'll be slower than if you brought a power adapter with USB-C port.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Completely agree.  The other thing about regular USB (aka USB-A) are they already somewhat outdated as almost all new devices released over the past couple of years include a USB-C cable.  USB-A to USB-C Adapters do exist yet that's still one extra thing you have to buy and bring with you.  The reason why most have moved to USB-C is because it can charge faster than reg USB-A so even if one using a USB-A to USB-C adapter, it'll be slower than if you brought a power adapter with USB-C port.

Do you mean USB "B" (the old mini-B and the newer and lousy micro-B)?

The "USB-A" connector is the sort you find on a computer or on the side of a wall wart for the 'other' end of the cable.

I'll be glad when "B" in either version is officially retired for new designs in a year or so, but especially micro-B.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Do you mean USB "B" (the old mini-B and the newer and lousy micro-B)?

The "USB-A" connector is the sort you find on a computer or on the side of a wall wart for the 'other' end of the cable.

I'll be glad when "B" in either version is officially retired for new designs in a year or so, but especially micro-B.

USB-A ports by the bed are what the new ships and revolutionized ship have; my overall point was they're already outdated for anyone that bought a current device over the past couple of years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

USB-A ports by the bed are what the new ships and revolutionized ship have; my overall point was they're already outdated for anyone that bought a current device over the past couple of years.

? Unless you have a hardwired charger, most chargers (including the multiple outlet in the pictures shown in the other surge suppressor thread) have USB-A ports for the charging cable.  The alternative is the inductive "wireless" charging pad.  The 'other end' of most 'solo' USB-C cords is a USB-A.

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

? Unless you have a hardwired charger, most chargers (including the multiple outlet in the pictures shown in the other surge suppressor thread) have USB-A ports for the charging cable.  The alternative is the inductive "wireless" charging pad.  The 'other end' of most 'solo' USB-C cords is a USB-A.

Yes or use a power bank when needed by day and change that during the night.  There are options but for most they will need to bring some sort of extra device even if on a newer ships which has USB-A ports.  In 2019, apple released the iphone 11 pro which came with an USB-C to lightning cable which obviously can't be used without an adapter in an USB-A port.

My point for those on team "adding more USB(-A) ports will solve everything!"... I'd personally much prefer a regular outlet right by the bed over both more USB-A and USB-C port.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Not necessarily. The USB A on the power side is for older devices. Most of the chargers I showed have USB-A ports, but they're at USB 2 or newer voltage. Many newer electronics come with USB C (15-25W) ports, or come with no adapter and accept 15-25W from USB C adapters. 

The "lamp" adapters, and most hard wired USB A ports, are first generation low wattage ports. The newer adapters are "smart" and modulate the power to match the device they're charging. The hardwired ports on the ship, plans, lamps, etc., are generally just straight voltage with no electronic regulation, so they go back to first generation USB to not fry older electronics.

I haven't seen a new device with a "B" plug in probably a decade. I have a very old, no longer in use scanner that has a B plug. There are still plenty of devices (getting fewer all the time) that use Micro USB on the device side. And many devices are now using USB C to USB C (iPads, for instance. My Sony headphones. Battery chargers.).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

Not necessarily. The USB A on the power side is for older devices. Most of the chargers I showed have USB-A ports, but they're at USB 2 or newer voltage. Many newer electronics come with USB C (15-25W) ports, or come with no adapter and accept 15-25W from USB C adapters. 

The "lamp" adapters, and most hard wired USB A ports, are first generation low wattage ports. The newer adapters are "smart" and modulate the power to match the device they're charging. The hardwired ports on the ship, plans, lamps, etc., are generally just straight voltage with no electronic regulation, so they go back to first generation USB to not fry older electronics.

I haven't seen a new device with a "B" plug in probably a decade. I have a very old, no longer in use scanner that has a B plug. There are still plenty of devices (getting fewer all the time) that use Micro USB on the device side. And many devices are now using USB C to USB C (iPads, for instance. My Sony headphones. Battery chargers.).

Slowest port I ever used was on the Edge, on the side of the telephone.  I saw a YT video of someone saying it was a "secret" port, after seeing how slow it was, determined the primary reason for the port was to update the phone, not charge devices.

Also, another dynamic happens if something goes wrong.  If a USB port breaks for whatever reason, I would imagine it's on the back burner to fix.  If you have a broken outlet, I would imagine it's more of a safety risk and would be addressed immediately.