Never cruised before seniors travelling with adult son with mild autism

SunriseCC

We are retire seniors travelling with our 25 year old son with mild autism.

wanting to travel last minute, likely 6 to 8 days, Sept or October 2022.  Prefer New England/Canada or Caribbean or repositioning from Vancouver to California for our first try at cruising

prefer a quieter atmosphere for our son.  Are the large dining rooms noisy?

with three of us would it be more affordable to have our son in his own Oceanview room and we in a veranda room  or to just book a suite and the three of us split the cost?

note sure which cruise lines might be a better fit for us but we do prefer to dress casual, I don’t even own a dress shirt or slacks

I would probably choose  a smaller ship   if the crowds or noise will be  a factor for your son

Depends on your budget what cabin to choose 

Would your son be OK on his own in a cabin  then consider he would be paying single supplement  which can range for 50 to 100% more than the price shown

Most lines now are pretty casual  but usually long slacks  & button down shirt are required for dinner venues  except the buffet

If you have a local travel agency  it may be worth sitting down with them & discussing your needs

I would suggest Celebrity or Princess.  Main dinning rooms on both are large, but not too noisy.  In your case you would probably not want to share a large table with others, but instead request a table for three which would not be a problem.  Dress code for the dinning rooms requires long pants (can get away with nice jeans, but Dockers would be even better) and collared shirt - polo shirt would work.  You can also eat at the buffet in shorts and t-shirt, but the buffet is a louder, busier, environment.  Booking a suite on Celebrity brings the added benefit of access to an exclusive restaurant which is even quieter and smaller than the main dinning room.

19 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I would suggest Celebrity or Princess.  Main dinning rooms on both are large, but not too noisy.  In your case you would probably not want to share a large table with others, but instead request a table for three which would not be a problem.  Dress code for the dinning rooms requires long pants (can get away with nice jeans, but Dockers would be even better) and collared shirt - polo shirt would work.  You can also eat at the buffet in shorts and t-shirt, but the buffet is a louder, busier, environment.  Booking a suite on Celebrity brings the added benefit of access to an exclusive restaurant which is even quieter and smaller than the main dinning room.

X2, and lean towards Celebrity if you like casual.  Celebrity welcomes jeans, even on their "chic" nights. 

Cabin choice -- I think the only way to do that is to compare the pricing for the options that work for you.  

Since you are looking for a "quieter atmosphere" I would suggest that you avoid Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean,  These lines seem to emphasize a "high energy" environment.  Lines such as Celebrity, Holland American, and Princess are probably closer to what you are looking for,  That being said, even on those lines they will have events or venues that may seem off-putting to you.  However, we find it very easy to avoid events or venues that do not appeal to us .  The only activity where your attendance is required is when safety procedures are explained on embarkation day.  Procedures for this requirement will depend on the policies of the cruise line,   An example of an activity we regularly avoid is the deck party on embarkation sailaway.  We always relax on our balcony with some sparkling one during the sailaway.

Typically, there are hundreds of people in the dining rooms during meal service.  People are having a good time and there are lots of conversations.  Also, servers are bustling around--many of them carrying large trays with meals stacked up.  So, yes, there is a certain level of noise, but it is not excessive.  Also, to the best of their ability, the servers generally try to provide you with a welcoming pleasant experience.  One thing you can consider is that most cruise lines offer a option where you pick your dining time.  Each cruise company has its name for this option such as "My Time Dining" or "Anytime Dining."  If you can schedule your dinner for a non-peak time--say, 7:30 pm--you will experience less bustle.  You might also consider checking out the buffet.  Once you pick up your meal, you can often find a table in a quiet area to sit down and enjoy.  

As a previous poster has indicated dress requirements have slackened on most cruise lines.  However, it is not a case of "anything goes."  For example, most cruise lines will not allow shorts in the dining rooms during dinner service (generally, OK for breakfast or lunch).   However, shorts are fine in most of the other venues--e.g., the buffet.  

Regarding cabin choice, I always think that multiple bathrooms are better.  If you can fit two cabins into your budget, then go for it.

As has also been previously suggested, if you can sit down with a travel agent, you should be able to get some good guidance.

I hope you can find something, and if you have more questions, please come back and ask them.  We love to show off.  😉

@SunriseCC

Just ran some "dummy" bookings on HAL Noordam from Vancouver to San Diego. (The 6-day cruise with three ports, one of which is Victoria... you might stay onboard and experience the ship!)

There is a little problem with the idea booking a verandah and an oceanview and that is that verandahs are usually all in a block with few or no OV's adjacent. Also a possible problem with the last-minute approach: The two OV's nearby verandahs at the far forward Deck 6 were not available (nor any nearby verandahs), BUT the two secret insides-with-a-window on Deck 10 ARE available as well as the verandahs directly across the hall from them. The window looks out over the top of the Lido swimming pool, there really is not much to look at on that route!

Here are the barebones figures:

10024 or 10021, One person $538+$275 fees = $813 best price
10026 or 10023, Two people $1058+$550 = $1608 best price
Total = $2421

Signature Suite 6066 or 6069 = $2210+$825 = $3035

Even numbers sun in morning, Odd numbers sun in afternoon/sunsets.

Although these are the "best Price" numbers, RIGHT NOW they do include "Crew Appreciation" formerly known as Hotel Service Fee of $15.50pp/per day in non-suite rooms and $17pp/day in suite.

Note these also do not include Cancellation Protection which I recommend in these times! The Platinum Cancellation protection, which includes some medical and protects 90% up to boarding time, is $99pp for the non-suite booking or $149pp for the suite. 

We sailed on Noordam's sister ship Zuiderdam in 10021 for a transAtlantic. The ride was smooth. There was occasional slamming of the door to the outside deck. The Crows Nest/Exploration Cafe is very convenient. That area can be quiet and has 180-degree views, but is also where they have trivia with much shouting. The deck 10 balconies are smaller than most others; it will be crowded for all three of you at once... But the big deck is right outside! 

Agree with XBGuy to avoid RCI -- always something hectic going on in the large central area!

ETA: ps, if you want to pursue one of the HAL scenarios, just reply and I will provide links to photos, screen-shots, what answers I can!

Edited by crystalspin

OP, I strongly recommend that you find a TA with cruising experience to help guide you in selecting your first cruise. Especially if you can find a brick and morter store so you can have a face to face. We can't name specific TAs on CC, but if you are in Victoria BC, there is a good one in Oak Bay you could look up.

I agree that Celebrity, Princess, or HAL would be better fits for your family than some of the higher energy lines like Carnival, NCL, or RCI.

If you select the ship's  equivalent of Anytime dining you can eat at your preferred time and at a table for 3. You could also go to the Maitre d' of the MDR on embarkation and explain why you would like a table in a quieter part of the dining room. Dress slacks are not required. Just casual slacks or nice jeans and a collared shirt (buttoned or golf style).

• Like 5

Welcome to CC!

You might want also to post - and to browse - at the "Disabled" sub-forum of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

There are ongoing questions about traveling with someone with autism, as well as other special needs.  Some of the issues involved in other special needs may be helpful to you.

You will probably want to communicate right away (given a late booking) with the "Special Needs" section of the cruise line.  Different lines have different names/contacts for this department.  They are typically VERY helpful with assorted special arrangements, and they may also have some suggestions to offer you based upon their experiences with other passengers.  Let them help you with the arrangements; that's "what they do". 🙂

We each have a special dietary need, and the degree to which each cruiseline has gone to make things work as smoothly as possible, and without mistakes, has always impressed us.  Likewise, you may learn from reports here on CC of efforts cruiselines have gone to to make cruising special for everyone.

Also, IF you find that something isn't working quite right, please do speak up!

They can't help if they don't know there is a problem.  And almost every member of a cruise ship's crew really try hard to help passengers have a great time.  That's what *they* do! 🙂 

I agree that you should try to find a travel agent that specializes in cruising, or has a special division that does that.  (Unfortunately, here on CC, we are not allowed to recommend specific travel agents.)

Enjoy your trip!

GC

• Like 1

Hmmm Many of you didn't like my RCI suggestion. However the Canada NE on RCI is hardly the party atmosphere you might assume in early October. I certainly wasn't recommending the Caribbean.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:54 PM, mom says said:

OP, I strongly recommend that you find a TA with cruising experience to help guide you in selecting your first cruise. Especially if you can find a brick and morter store so you can have a face to face. We can't name specific TAs on CC, but if you are in Victoria BC, there is a good one in Oak Bay you could look up.

I agree that Celebrity, Princess, or HAL would be better fits for your family than some of the higher energy lines like Carnival, NCL, or RCI.

If you select the ship's  equivalent of Anytime dining you can eat at your preferred time and at a table for 3. You could also go to the Maitre d' of the MDR on embarkation and explain why you would like a table in a quieter part of the dining room. Dress slacks are not required. Just casual slacks or nice jeans and a collared shirt (buttoned or golf style).

While I think a lot of good ideas have been posted here.  I really agree with the above comment about getting a good brick and morter store front Travel Agent who knows cruising to help you.  

I am cruising with my 90 yr old husband who is very senile.  Because of his needs we no longer go to the MDR or anytime dining.  We prefer to go to the buffet for dinner, go when it first opens usually around 5:30 pm.  Buffet is less crowded at that time and we enjoy the quiet and views, sunsets.  

Hope you have a great trip.

• Like 1