Arrive Can

DShier1a

36 minutes ago, greener said:

arrive can confuses me.  am traveling from toronto to vancouver for a south pacific cruise.  will not return to canada for 7 weeks.  do i need to use arrive can for plane or for ship on embarcation?

No. At no point do you exit and then return to Canada, so no need to use the app until you return to Canada 7 weeks later.

40 minutes ago, greener said:

arrive can confuses me.  am traveling from toronto to vancouver for a south pacific cruise.  will not return to canada for 7 weeks.  do i need to use arrive can for plane or for ship on embarcation?

As its name implies ArriveCAN only needs to be used when entering (arriving in) Canada. Leaving Canada does not require use of ArriveCAN. In fact it is not possible to properly complete the questions if one is not entering the country.

If your cruise returns to Canada, ArriveCAN will be needed to board. If you are returning to Canada by some other means, it will need to be completed following the rules for that means.

1 hour ago, greener said:

No. The only time you need ArriveCAN is before your flight back to Canada after the cruise (72 hours before the scheduled departure of the first flight that lands in Canada).

We will be cruising Holland America later this month - Quebec City to Boston.  We are residents of Canada and will be flying to QC from YVR.    I have been advised by Holland America (I called them yesterday) and my TA that we do need to complete the ArrCan app prior to embarkation.  Doesn't make any sense, but this is what the HA website and agents are saying.  We were told to enter QC as the point of arrival (even though we will not be arriving into Canada).  This may just be a HA thing.  

20 minutes ago, Munsel said:

We will be cruising Holland America later this month - Quebec City to Boston.  We are residents of Canada and will be flying to QC from YVR.    I have been advised by Holland America (I called them yesterday) and my TA that we do need to complete the ArrCan app prior to embarkation.  Doesn't make any sense, but this is what the HA website and agents are saying.  We were told to enter QC as the point of arrival (even though we will not be arriving into Canada).  This may just be a HA thing.  

It's sad that HAL is apparently advising passengers to make false submissions to GOC.

I don't know what one can do in this situation, lie to the government or risk being denied boarding. ☹️

From https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Cruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Munsel said:

This has been discussed ad nauseam, with no resolution. In spite of there being no GOC requirement to do so, HAL HQ insists that passengers do so and even advises them to falsify their submission. It's high time that passengers brought this to the attention of CBSA.

Edited by Fouremco

1 hour ago, Munsel said:

I guess HAL can not figure it out   so they are telling pax  to lie

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

LOL

I guess the agent is not paid enough to deal with those issues

I would look at it differently CSBA is doing the responsible thing in this case.  They are being pragmatic and trying to not mess up peoples vacations.  

If they were to tell you don't fill it out then as a passenger your stuck between CSBA and HAL having conflicting rules.  

14 hours ago, em-sk said:

I would look at it differently CSBA is doing the responsible thing in this case.  They are being pragmatic and trying to not mess up peoples vacations.  

If they were to tell you don't fill it out then as a passenger your stuck between CSBA and HAL having conflicting rules.  

my comment was in jest 

😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DShier1a said:

Just arrived home from my round trip Vancouver cruise to Alaska.

......was never asked for Arrivecan 🤦‍♀️🙄

LOL. Celebrity doesn't check when you take a cruise that does require an ArriveCAN submission, while Holland America insists on passengers making a submission for cruises where there is no GOC requirement. Meanwhile, CBSA really doesn't care. Is it any wonder that there are ever-increasing calls to eliminate the app? 🙄

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. Celebrity doesn't check when you take a cruise that does require an ArriveCAN submission, while Holland America insists on passengers making a submission for cruises where there is no GOC requirement. Meanwhile, CBSA really doesn't care. Is it any wonder that there are ever-increasing calls to eliminate the app? 🙄

ArriveCAN submission is tied to passenger passports. There is no need for Canadian authorities to waste passenger time asking for the QR code. They already have all the information from the manifest filed by the cruise line before departure.

The only ones I see calling for elimination are those that want to go back to lines of people waiting for those in front of them digging out vaccination records to present to border officers. ... and those that simply object to any government requirement.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

ArriveCAN submission is tied to passenger passports. There is no need for Canadian authorities to waste passenger time asking for the QR code. They already have all the information from the manifest filed by the cruise line before departure.

The only ones I see calling for elimination are those that want to go back to lines of people waiting for those in front of them digging out vaccination records to present to border officers. ... and those that simply object to any government requirement.

I was addressing the actions undertaken - or not - by the cruise lines, not by CBSA. Generally speaking, you must present proof that you meet all requirements when checking in at the port for embarkation. So, for example, it's not sufficient to provide your passport details to the cruise line during on-line check-in, you must also show them that passport at the port. The fact the CBSA has already been sent an initial  passenger manifest and knows that your passport is valid doesn't matter, the cruise line wants to see it for themselves when you check in at the port.

As for ArriveCAN, most cruise lines do in fact demand to see the receipt, whether or CBSA may or may not have cross-checked the passport and ArriveCAN information. HAL's requirement:

ArriveCAN: All guests on cruises that visit Alaska and Canada must complete ArriveCAN in advance of embark and provide their ArriveCAN receipt at check-in.

Other lines have similar requirements, including RCI and Disney:

ArriveCAN: All guests - including Canadians - or their legal guardians, must submit the mandatory travel information required by the Canadian government prior to boarding the cruise ship. Guests can complete the form on the ArriveCAN website or via the app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. Once completed you'll need to print or show the QR code provided at boarding. 

Within 72 Hours of Arrival
To enter Canada you will need to complete an ArriveCAN entry within 72 hours prior to arrival by air or land border. You will receive a QR code receipt to present when entering the country. After arriving, you will be required to complete an additional, separate ArriveCAN submission to receive a cruise-specific QR code receipt to be presented during embarkation.

I won't bother quoting similar statements from other lines. The fact remains that, CBSA cross-referencing abilities notwithstanding, cruise lines generally require passengers to show proof of their ArriveCAN submissions.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:19 AM, gnome12 said:

You only need ArriveCan if the ship is leaving Canada and then returning to Canada. If it is leaving Canada and you are disembarking outside Canada you don't need ArriveCan for that cruise. You will, however, need it to return to Canada, whether by land or air. (If you don't leave Canada on the cruise you also don't need ArriveCan.)

Gnome12 is correct…the Arrive Canada app is so easy to use…. It is for arriving back to Canada…I filled in most of the info prior to my trip…I filled the arrival info in needed a day before returning to Canada. There was no wait to clear customs, everything was automated answered a few questions at a kiosk and way on my way. I did however spend 45 minutes clearing US customs going the other way.

14 hours ago, Larger Bowl said:

Gnome12 is correct…the Arrive Canada app is so easy to use…. It is for arriving back to Canada…I filled in most of the info prior to my trip…I filled the arrival info in needed a day before returning to Canada. There was no wait to clear customs, everything was automated answered a few questions at a kiosk and way on my way. I did however spend 45 minutes clearing US customs going the other way.

Did your cruise line require you to have the ArriveCan when you were leaving Canada?

That is where the problem lies

19 hours ago, Larger Bowl said:

Apparently they are working on Arrive CAN 2.0 that will eliminate the needs to use the kiosks at the airport or complete the equivalent paper arrival cards.  

Sailing to Alaska RT from Seattle with stop in Victoria.  I know we have to enter info into ArriveCan within 72 hours of embarkation.  Do we have to upload our COVID-19 test results into ArriveCan?  If so, is it possible to set up the account to enter most of the info within 72 hours and then upload the COVID test results when we get them?

1 hour ago, mthomp5 said:

Sailing to Alaska RT from Seattle with stop in Victoria.  I know we have to enter info into ArriveCan within 72 hours of embarkation.  Do we have to upload our COVID-19 test results into ArriveCan?  If so, is it possible to set up the account to enter most of the info within 72 hours and then upload the COVID test results when we get them?

A COVID test is no longer required to enter Canada. ArriveCAN does not require uploading of test results. (It did some time ago when a test was required to enter the country.) Vaccination certificates must be uploaded.

However, you will be required to have a negative test to board a cruise porting in Canada. Some cruise lines require results to be uploaded to their online system.

ArriveCAN accounts can be setup ahead of time. Passport and vaccination data can be entered ahead of time. See https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html for latest guidance and links to the app and online versions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

A COVID test is no longer required to enter Canada. ArriveCAN does not require uploading of test results. (It did some time ago when a test was required to enter the country.) Vaccination certificates must be uploaded.

However, you will be required to have a negative test to board a cruise porting in Canada. Some cruise lines require results to be uploaded to their online system.

ArriveCAN accounts can be setup ahead of time. Passport and vaccination data can be entered ahead of time. See https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html for latest guidance and links to the app and online versions.

Thank you so much!  This is helpful!  

On 9/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, mthomp5 said:

Hi, I sailed last month and the only items I uploaded into ArriveCan were my passport information and my vax card.  I never put my test results on there. I had the negative results on my phone via email.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I sailed last month and the only items I uploaded into ArriveCan were my passport information and my vax card.  I never put my test results on there. I had the negative results on my phone via email.

IIRC that is correct. Passport data and Vax docs are uploaded, but the test result is only stated, IOW you tick the  box stating you tested negative, they don't ask you to upload it into the ArriveCan system. That being said, the cruise line will probably want to see your test results at embarkation

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

IIRC that is correct. Passport data and Vax docs are uploaded, but the test result is only stated, IOW you tick the  box stating you tested negative, they don't ask you to upload it into the ArriveCan system. That being said, the cruise line will probably want to see your test results at embarkation

Yes, they did. That is all they asked for and I don't remember anyone asking to see my QR code for ArriveCan.