Dry Cleaning ruined my suit onboard. Anyone have similar experience?

WMF123

I was on the cruise for formal night on the Celebrity Apex and during dinner the lamp shade above my dining table fell right on our table. Luckily neither of us were hurt but the coffee spilled all over my suit. The restaurant manager came to our table and offered to dry clean the suit to get the stain off so we agreed to it. A day later the suit came back but it got ruined from the dry cleaner. I brought it to guest relations but they were not helpful at all and did not provide any compensation for the damage despite it being their fault to begin with. It’s truly a terrible experience.

is there anything I can do post cruise? Anyone have a similar experience please share.

Edited by WMF123

6 hours ago, WMF123 said:

I was on the cruise for formal night on the Celebrity Apex and during dinner the lamp shade above my dining table fell right on our table. Luckily neither of us were hurt but the coffee spilled all over my suit. The restaurant manager came to our table and offered to dry clean the suit to get the stain off so we agreed to it. A day later the suit came back but it got ruined from the dry cleaner. I brought it to guest relations but they were not helpful at all and did not provide any compensation for the damage despite it being their fault to begin with. It’s truly a terrible experience.

is there anything I can do post cruise? Anyone have a similar experience please share.

My son’s suit jacket came back from dry cleaning on RC with marking…They requested a chance to try and fix and did sort it…We were amazed that a jacket that looked ruined came back to its best…Did they not offer take the suit back to laundry services on Celebrity and see what they could do?

If they did offer on board to return it to laundry services to try to fix and you refused I would think that it would make it harder for you now to claim…

All I can suggest is you send a copy of your receipt or an estimate for a replacement and attach a picture of the damaged area of your suit. Presumably guest services should have a record of your complaint.

The only alternative I can think of is if it would be covered under your holiday insurance. 

• Like 2

I just sent my suit jacket down to be pressed, and it came back in a terrible state.  They had obviously pressed it far too hot and it frayed all the fibres.  They did take it back to see what they could do.  It did come back looking better, but you know they just trimmed them off.  It has looked pretty sad ever since. I have had so many clothes ruined by ships laudries over the years that I never send anything down anymore, despite having free laundry.  If they wash it, it goes on a boil wash with everyone elses clothes.  I'd rather just take extra to last me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Send a letter along with a receipt for the suit to Celebrity customer service 

I doubt that would work because they have no proof that it happened on board and they probably don't have the receipt for the suit.

What I would have done is have the GR Manager or the Hotel Manager provide me with some form of written proof that it happened on board. 

Then I would price a similar suit and send both ( written proof from the ship and a photo/cost of a similar suit ) to Customer Service with an explanation of what /when it happened.

( The ship would have documented the accident and details of same ).

LOL--- Because the suit was previously worn ( who knows how old it was ) Customer Service would depreciate the cost and send the difference.

IMO--- That's the best outcome I would bet on.

Bonne Chance--- Good Luck

13 hours ago, WMF123 said:

Not dry cleaning but on Silhouette in May we put in a bag of laundry. The cabin steward phoned and we had the following conversation:

S: the laundry says there is a small hole in the red shirt you sent to be washed.

M: we didn't send a red shirt.

S: after a pause - a red skirt.

M: we didn't send a red skirt.

S: I will go to the laundry and call back.

M: ok.

S: now in the laundry. Not a shirt or skirt but a pair of black and red underpants. The pants have one small hole, do you want them washed.

M: yes please.

When the pants came back they had about 300 holes in them. Down at Guest Relations:

M: what happened to my pants to give them all these holes.

GR: would you like to make a formal complaint?

M: if that's the only way to find out what happened, yes please.

The form was completed.

By the time I got to the cabin GR had phoned to ask how much the pants cost. The boss (Anita) had helpfully told them the pants were a set of 3 and cost £10. I had to go back and sign the form.

GR: how much in 💲.

M:💲5

GR:  we can't work in 5's can I put 💲10

GR: please sign to say you accept the 💲10 and it will be credited to your account by the morning.

M: ok, thanks.

Next morning the account was credited with💲20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

So sorry about your suit WMF. This was certainly Celebrity's fault right from the get go.  They should remember the occasion that precipitated the need for dry cleaning.  I would take Chemmo's advice.

I had a favourite cashmere sweater that I sent for dry cleaning near the end of a cruise.  It came back nicely packaged and I just put it in the suitcase.  Didn't look at it till we got home and there was a big hole in one sleeve.  Nothing I could do at that point, except to never trust them with any laundry again.

Even though we have free laundry etc. I never send anything out but DH's underwear.  I don't want my things ruined for free.

• Like 1

Took a dress to the local dry cleaner a few weeks ago, it came back discolored and with a tear.  The back of the ticket they give you says “not responsible for loss or damage”.  Unfortunately these things can happen at home just as easily as on a ship.  We probably have sent close to 250 items to them for dry cleaning, 1st time something damaged.

I had a shirt ruined by the Celebrity laundry. Fortunately I had bought it just before the cruise so while onboard they documented what happened and gave me a copy of that. When I returned home, I sent them the receipt and they reimbursed me in full for the item.

16 hours ago, chemmo said:

My son’s suit jacket came back from dry cleaning on RC with marking…They requested a chance to try and fix and did sort it…We were amazed that a jacket that looked ruined came back to its best…Did they not offer take the suit back to laundry services on Celebrity and see what they could do?

If they did offer on board to return it to laundry services to try to fix and you refused I would think that it would make it harder for you now to claim…

All I can suggest is you send a copy of your receipt or an estimate for a replacement and attach a picture of the damaged area of your suit. Presumably guest services should have a record of your complaint.

The only alternative I can think of is if it would be covered under your holiday insurance. 

In our situation the day they brought the suit after the dry clean , it was the last sea day.  We had to disembark the day after so that wasn’t an option. Luckily the lamp shade did not fall on my head but it was really unacceptable. What was most upsetting is that the GR staff were very rude about the situation and did not try to resolve or apologize at all.

We got all the staff names and a form to go through insurance but that’s about it. 

5 hours ago, SusieV said:

I had a shirt ruined by the Celebrity laundry. Fortunately I had bought it just before the cruise so while onboard they documented what happened and gave me a copy of that. When I returned home, I sent them the receipt and they reimbursed me in full for the item.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Did you call the customer service line or email them through a specific complaints email address?

In our situation the day they brought the suit after the dry clean , it was the last sea day.  We had to disembark the day after so that wasn’t an option. Luckily the lamp shade did not fall on my head but it was really unacceptable. What was most upsetting is that the GR staff were very rude about the situation and did not try to resolve or apologize at all.

We got all the staff names and a form to go through insurance but that’s about it. 

Just now, the penguins said:

Never accept a form for claiming on insurance from a Cruise Line, hotel or any other organisation as it leaves you open to that company saying you accepted the form as settlement. Stand your ground and in X's case complete the official complaint form including the amount you are claiming. Always get a copy of the completed form.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:13 PM, WMF123 said:

I'm not big on social media but I know of several cases where someone did not get a response until they alerted the social media rep from the company, Twitter ,FB etc.and got the problem fixed.

These cases were hotel issues and not cruise lines but worth a shot.

• Like 1

Sent in laundry on the Infinity several years ago (when they built those AQ suites on the top of the aft deck.  Did not get is back.  First they tried to say it was delayed, then lost, then they sent me tattered gross pieces that looked they went through a lawnmower.  Spoke to the hotel manager and the Financial Mgr.  They offered $250 future cruise credit.  My stuff was worth 4x that amount.  No resolution.  Talked to Celebrity Miami, customer relations still future cruise credit plus $50 for a 15 yr customer with 25 sailings. (I think they had money problems for a while).  Well I voted with my wallet and sailed with Oceania for five years until post covid when we had a family Thanksgiving cruise, last year.  Celebrity's bad customer service created Oceania as a favored cruise line for me along with an opportunity loss for Celebrity  of  $200k.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WMF123 said:

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Did you call the customer service line or email them through a specific complaints email address?

I recall they gave me an email address to submit to, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I would probably message Celebrity One Touch, I think that's their current resolutions email.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:32 PM, asnaleah said:

My pet peeve about Celebrity is the absence of self laundry! Terrible laundry for free is still not a benefit!

While I also would like self laundry on board, I don't think I'd use it for a suit.

• Haha 1

When I worked as the Controller at a big NYC restaurant in the mid 80's a server spilled a strawberry daiquiri down the back of this guy's white Armani suit.   It wouldn't come out when he dry cleaned it.  We required guests to send in the damaged clothing along with a receipt and we would try to clean it first, and if unsuccessful, reimburse.    He sent it in and we couldnt get the stain out either.  He produced the receipt for $1,200 (in 1985!).  We sent him a check.  My accounts receivable clerk kept the suit. 

OK, back to your requests for on board laundry services.. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 11:13 PM, WMF123 said:

We started cruising in 2007 and each cruise we used dry-cleaning and laundry without incident. But 5 years ago, I had a silk blouse ruined by Dry Cleaning.  (I did not read the fine print.). I pushed on Celebrity and the response I received was "run it through your house insurance".  I got zero for my angst, BUT I have learned (1) not to take clothing I will be upset if laundry/dry cleaning ruins it and (2) I am accepting the risk of possible damage if I do need to use these services. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:41 PM, the penguins said:

Not dry cleaning but on Silhouette in May we put in a bag of laundry. The cabin steward phoned and we had the following conversation:

S: the laundry says there is a small hole in the red shirt you sent to be washed.

M: we didn't send a red shirt.

S: after a pause - a red skirt.

M: we didn't send a red skirt.

S: I will go to the laundry and call back.

S: now in the laundry. Not a shirt or skirt but a pair of black and red underpants. The pants have one small hole, do you want them washed.

M: yes please.

When the pants came back they had about 300 holes in them. Down at Guest Relations:

M: what happened to my pants to give them all these holes.

GR: would you like to make a formal complaint?

M: if that's the only way to find out what happened, yes please.

The form was completed.

By the time I got to the cabin GR had phoned to ask how much the pants cost. The boss (Anita) had helpfully told them the pants were a set of 3 and cost £10. I had to go back and sign the form.

GR: how much in 💲.

M:💲5

GR:  we can't work in 5's can I put 💲10

GR: please sign to say you accept the 💲10 and it will be credited to your account by the morning.

M: ok, thanks.

Next morning the account was credited with💲20

Down at guest services with my underpants and discussing them is not my idea of a vacation.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

Down at guest services with my underpants and discussing them is not my idea of a vacation.

It wasn't something I planned either. I was just curious as to what had caused so many holes. After the incident was resolved I packaged the pants and addressed them to Julie Director of Guest Services as a gift. Any one who knows Julie will know she has a wicked sense of humour and regularly takes part in Liars Club. On one cruise a guest gave her a present of an empty box of chocolates. She responded by sending him a bottle of one of the most expensive wines on the ship - needless to say the bottle was also empty. If you look her up on line her Moto is " if I can't fix it, it ain't broke". She is also the "voice in the lifts" and other recorded messages on most Royal Caribbean ships.

This time I escaped with out a comeback from Julie but I know it will come the next time we cruise with her.

• Haha 1

Hello,

Not a suit, neither Celebrity but still on-topic.

I returned to my cabin on Something of the Seas to find a note from housekeeping asking that I phone them. I was told that the bespoke shirt that I had sent for dry cleaning had been ripped on the arm. I was asked to complete a claim form and, as it was obviously an expensive shirt, the amount I claimed would not be contested. I claimed £129 and that at an exchange rate of 1.4 something was credited to my account the next day. Later in the week I found myself sat next to the ship's purser at the 'Meal with an officer' and mentioned my loss. Without any apology she went on about how difficult it was for her to find the right heading on her accounts system to post the cost.

Although I was reimbursed for my bespoke shirt, I would sooner still have that than the money as it was one of the last things that Austin Reed made before they went bust and hence no chance of a replacement.

I have, as a lasting memory of the shirt, a shirt carrier (like a suit carrier but smaller and lighter) that hangs, empty, in my wardrobe.

Regards,

Cublet