Amp this!

Royal's amplification program started in 2018 to enhance existing ships.  I thought it might be fun to have a thread listing what people would like to see Amped and what they don't want to see Amped.  I've started with a couple of comments below.  Please add your own.

AMP

• Food, the food on Royal has really become poor over the past years.  I'd love to see the quality and preparation "amped" with great ingredients and prepared on board.

Don't AMP or unAMP

• Fitness Centers on Older Ships: we were on Voyageur in July and found the Gym was moved from Fore to Aft and drastically cut in size.  Also, complimentary change rooms, sauna and steam room were gone.  We're on Explorer next May and hope she doesn't meet this fate.

Voyager class got a terrible chop-job moving the gym aft.  The ceilings aren't high enough to support some equipment and they didn't do a very good job raising them at all.  They did go a good job adding staterooms to the front with views and balconies so they could maximize profit though...

Bamboo Room wasn't added to Freedom because it wasn't "popular enough" is what I heard from an Officer who participates in dry docks.  I love Bamboo Room though!

I'm all for water slides if they fit appropriately and piping is moved out of the way.  Another downfall of Navigator.

Add Playmakers to the rest of the Quantum class!

Keep the Southern Kitchen on Wonder and/or get rid of it completely.  Unhealthy crap.  America is bad enough as it is.  I hear the bar selection is good though so keep what works.

I'm not a fan of the Jamie's menu.  Bring back the Gios menu and MEATBALL! (I know I just complained about unhealthy offerings)

Explorer is going to drydock in February (I think?) so we will see what they have planned.  She needed a facelift in 2019 so it's LONG overdue.  Adventure is next up after that in terms of needing help.  Then Liberty.

Keep Peekaboo bridge!

• Like 1

Allure Amp related...

Keep Diamond Lounge where it is.

Replace Sabor with Playmakers. Like the option to pay a la carte for food instead of over $20 pp at Sabor. Pitcher of draft beer after $13 Diamond discount also.

No robotic bar to replace Champagne Bar. Bad drinks and being charged a gratuity for them.

No slides.

Add Poolside Bar Lime & Coconut and El Loco Fresh

• Like 7

4 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Do not amp Allure with slides, leave her as beautiful and special as she is!

And bring her back to Fort Lauderdale. 👍🏼 Wait, did I say that before? Ok, maybe 10 times already. 😁

• Like 4

Amp: Food, please please please sort out the food and peoples dietary needs. I would say from our last weeks cruise the food was 2-3* . Ive had much better at road side cafes/diners.

Salt pools: get rid and have fresh water pools. 

Entertainment: have more variety rather then singers and more singers. 

Better locations for big shops then repetitive sails, eg barcelona round med been same for oasis class ships for years.

Dont anp: most things i have seen have been great....

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK
  • Like 3

I'm a firm believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  However, I understand that there can always be some form of improvements.   I'm a big Sabor fan.  I hated to see it being replaced with "Playmakers", but I'm not a big sports fan, for reasons we can't discuss here.  Also, I understand that Loco Fresh is available on most Oasis ships in place of Sabor.  But, it just isn't the same, I like being served by an actual server and have an adult beverage brought to the table by a server that actually serves you.  

• Like 1

1. I thought the bionic bar is a waste of valuable space on Odyssey.I hardly saw anyone buying a drink there and all that space was empty all the time, I thought it was a waste. I never bought a drink. It’s just a gimmick.

2. I think the food on Royal was much better years ago. In fact the best food we ever had on a cruise was on Princess, but in Royals defense that was years ago. I find the food overly sauced, overcooked and way too salty in the MDR. Maybe it’s just me, but I like the taste of some food just as it is, without all the stuff they pour over it. The service is what keeps me from eating every meal in the WJ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Better locations for big shops then repetitive sails, eg barcelona round med been same for oasis class ships for years.

This 100 times over. RC send one of their biggest and brightest ships to the Med each year and waste it by visiting the same 6 ports every year. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Don't AMP or unAMP

• Fitness Centers on Older Ships: we were on Voyageur in July and found the Gym was moved from Fore to Aft and drastically cut in size.  Also, complimentary change rooms, sauna and steam room were gone.  We're on Explorer next May and hope she doesn't meet this fate.

Was on the Explorer earlier this month and one employee said that no sauna facilities were being touched in the Amping this upcoming January while another said yes they are.  Who know but the steam room was finally working on day 5 😳😤

• Like 1

BTW, is there a site that tells you what is being Amped and what is being removed?  I did a b2b on Freedom in February and they removed all traces of the sauna and steam rooms.  Nothing.  Had I known it was gone, I would have switched to another ship.  On the "blogs" it states what's going to be added but I'm looking for what's going to be removed.  Thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crism said:

Voyager class got a terrible chop-job moving the gym aft.  The ceilings aren't high enough to support some equipment and they didn't do a very good job raising them at all.  They did go a good job adding staterooms to the front with views and balconies so they could maximize profit though...

Bamboo Room wasn't added to Freedom because it wasn't "popular enough" is what I heard from an Officer who participates in dry docks.  I love Bamboo Room though!

I'm all for water slides if they fit appropriately and piping is moved out of the way.  Another downfall of Navigator.

Add Playmakers to the rest of the Quantum class!

Interesting what you heard about the Bamboo Room. I have cruised on Mariner and Navigator, when she was ported in Florida, multiple times and the Bamboo Room was one of my favorite bars. I still hope they add it to more ships but your comment indicates that might not be likely. 

I think Navigator has the best slides on any RCI ship, but that is just my personal preference. 

Playmakers should be on every ship. Great place to watch sports, play games, get something to eat, etc. 

• Like 1

Voyager should be the template for what NOT to do when amping.  The only upgrade was adding the water slides.  Everything else was a downgrade - smaller spa, smaller fitness center, delete saunas. delete Johnny Rockets.

• Like 2

The only amplification going on is crowding the ship with more cabins/passengers and adding to the money being taken in. It's a shame that they are ruining these older ships by taking out the very nice fitness centers. We won't sail on the so-called amped ships if we can help it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

And bring her back to Fort Lauderdale. 👍🏼 Wait, did I say that before? Ok, maybe 10 times already. 😁

You can add my 10 to your 10. This ship belongs  in PE.... with the DL right where it is presently located.

• Like 1