Sea Sickness Remedies

babs135

We nearly always book a guaranteed cabin and over our 12+ cruises have always had a good cabin but for our upcoming cruise on the Queen Victoria to the Canary Islands over Christmas our luck has finally deserted us as we are in Cabin 4008 which is not just forward, it is very forward!

I think I may need help to alleviate any possible sea sickness so it's sea bands vs tablets.

Do sea bands really work?  A quick look on Amazon shows that there is plenty of choice so if anyone has recommendations please share.

Or

Am I better with tablets?  Again, the question is which would you recommend?  And most importantly, can I have a drink or two (or three!) if I'm on tablets?  Don't want to spend a fortnight completely alcohol-free.

I would also recommend Stugeron and would also use sea bands if needed. So take both. It's hard to tell if they work through acupressure or whether it's all in the mind.

Yes plenty of choice at cheap prices on Amazon.

The Bay of Biscay can be either choppy or calm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

We nearly always book a guaranteed cabin and over our 12+ cruises have always had a good cabin but for our upcoming cruise on the Queen Victoria to the Canary Islands over Christmas our luck has finally deserted us as we are in Cabin 4008 which is not just forward, it is very forward!

I think I may need help to alleviate any possible sea sickness so it's sea bands vs tablets.

Do sea bands really work?  A quick look on Amazon shows that there is plenty of choice so if anyone has recommendations please share.

Or

Am I better with tablets?  Again, the question is which would you recommend?  And most importantly, can I have a drink or two (or three!) if I'm on tablets?  Don't want to spend a fortnight completely alcohol-free.

A light hearted suggestion by Spike Milligan- “Sit under a tree”

• Haha 1

We once had second cabin from the front on Celebrity Eclipse and crossed the Atlantic to the west of Ireland in a bit of a swell!  

I have also been on a fast catamaran ferry from Weymouth to Guernsey in a 4-5m swell in December (with someone who used to get ill ln a canal barge!), apart from crew we were the only ones who weren't ill.

In both cases Stugeron has never failed us.  Just take them in line with the advice.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Candied Ginger works well but taste quite strong. As soon as you suspect you are becoming affected eata a couple of chinks and swallow them rapidly.  Holland and Barrett do them on line and in shops.  They work by contracting the upper stomach sphincter stopping northbound traffic.  No medical side effects.

Regards John

• Haha 2

I'm another vote for sturgeron. I take 2 tabs 2hrs b4 setting foot on ship and then one around 4pm every day.

I'm very prone to motion sickness even throwing up at a simulator where even though I knew I was stood in a room with moving pictures projected on the walls I ran out and hoyed up in a nearby bin🙈🙈

I know a lad who essentially psyched himself up to being sea sick.in his case it was all in the mind. 

He took the appropriate medication as suggested by Dr. Google .... and the side effects were not good., to the point where he was ill. The weather etc. was fine with limited motions ....which was more than could be said for him 😁

Also, as you appear to be a Cunard regular, bear in mind that the QV is not a cruise ship, per se, but an ocean liner that was designed for such things as rough (er) weather.